Thread: running different suspension front/back, technical Q's

Rides

running different suspension front/back, technical Q's

guys I have a quick question. my back coilovers are a bit weak and i have gas shocks and springs here at hand that I could throw on. what would the physics side of a gas/springs rear and coilovers front combo be? any good for handling characteristics? planning to fit a 2way and locking collars during the week also so the subframe would obviously be alot stiffer but would the shocks/springs be a good option for the 2way then? me dont knowz anyting aboutz physix lol

thanks for any help folks, much appreciated in advance
    "If you don't fight for something, you'll fall for anything" - The Wise Man

Rides
    I think gas is like oil for damping, not for the spring side of suspension. They all have coils.

Rides
    I'm presuming you mean standard rear shocks when you say gas shocks and springs ???

It depends on what ride height and what spring rates you are using for the fronts but generally I'd think you were on a hiding to nothing.

Standard rears are around 1.8kg springs. Standard fronts are 2.2kg

If you were to run the front ride height at close to standard ride height and if your front springs were 4 or 5 kg then you might be able to get away with it. I, personally, wouldn't want to try it.

If your front coilovers are 6kg or 8kg, then the front is going to be really stiff and the rear bouncing all over the place and that will make it feel horrid if not dangerous.

Rides
    ^^^ thanks jonny. well the rears are the gas shocks and springs that were in ruby when i got her, not sure the make or spring rate etc or anything like that. she was fairly high with the gas suspension in it when i got it. the coilovers are jic magic.... fronts are fine, the rears are tired hence why i was wondering if the rear gas shocks and springs would be any better than the tired rear coilovers. but yeah makes sense she'd be quite off front to back, but at least not left to right anymore, because thats what it is now. so the rear left would dip and send out towards the left, but i think ill just slam her for japfest and go with the old gas/spring setup afterwards.... the suspension that was in it was an excellent handling suspension and very comfy. so to hell, handling over shtance haha

Rides
    Pretty sure it was on OEM KYBs with Chassis Dynamics lowering springs when I had it.

That would mean they would be a bit stiffer and you might get away with it but you would need to run only a small drop at the front to match the CD springs

What about these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-REAR-JIC-C...bf377e&vxp=mtr

Rides
    ^^^ yeah thats them so! Excel-G KYB... i think ill throw them back in, and save for a set of new coilovers next year (or xmas this year, possibly ha)... cheapest start at only €550 which isnt very much for new coilovers tbf. the handling is terrible atm the way it is and i fear with a 2way and locking collars she'll send me off the road haha (could be my driving too though......)

Rides
    Steff777 has a set of s/h Bc sport coilovers up for £300. Just put them up today. Be better than sticking OEM on the rear.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Steff777 has a set of s/h Bc sport coilovers up for £300. Just put them up today. Be better than sticking OEM on the rear.
    yeah just saw that but i just bought a 2way diff so i have no spare lump sums atm... doing my wheels too atm so thats the small money going into that now this week... im just going to put the old suspension back in and ride comfy till i can afford new good coilovers. whats not to say the next used set isnt tired too you know

Rides
    i wouldnt run jic fronts with kyb rears, the jic's being jdm are likely to be 8kg+ maybe even 10s so very stiff you may get away with apex limo fronts
    having a much softer rear than front isnt ideal. maybe sell the diff and buy new coils.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    Understeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer.

And it'll feel dreadful even if it isn't understeering everywhere. The comparative damping rates will make the back end feel like an accordion.

Rides
    It will launch better and not feel that different unless your driving on the limit/ The underteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer will be so slight you wouldnt notice again unless your driving at the limit.

Rides
    You increase front stiffness by a factor of 4 and expect that not to be noticeable? OK.

Rides
    Come on Tom read it again. "not feel that different unless your driving on the limit" was what I said.

Me old buddy left the old shocks on he put at the drag strip. He noticed a difference but it didn't really feel that different until he tried to corner hard
    (On the limitish)

Rides
    well the gas suspension is back in and i have to say i enjoy the old woman comfy driving now again (i can actually use 2nd gear now on the ol' country lane) i didnt drive the car with different front/back suspension mainly because i was way too lazy to deal with it haha. id say ye were right though in saying its not a great thing to be running on a road car

have we any drifters on here though that could clear up the idea behind a softer rear setup for more grip...?
    how does it handle in comparison to an even setup all round?

Rides
    You want stiffness for drifting to keep lateral weight change consistent. Too soft and the car goes from loose to spinning in a horrid way.