Thread: Recommend me an MP3 player

Rides

Recommend me an MP3 player

Well my trusty Creative Vision M has finally snuffed it.

So what is out there? I need something durable with at least 50gb.

I am not interested in any fruit based products

Rides
    A cheap something with a large SD card stuffed in it??

Rides
    The dedicated MP3 player market has been decimated by smartphones sadly.

Sandisk and Sony is about all there is left, iRiver and Cowon went towards big screens and quirky touch interfaces.

This gets good reviews and with a fast 64GB MicroSD card (£27) it gets you 72GB:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iBasso-Audio...eywords=ibasso

Rides
    I know many hate Ipods but an Ipod touch can be bought from ebay for much cheapness, I sadly lost my old touch so looking for a new one at the moment.

Rides
    I can never get over the feeling the ipod touch is just the iphone with some shit missing, just feels like you get mugged off.

Rides
    Couldn't agree more R3K. Do wonder if I should just buy a massive card for my phone but I would quite like a separate mp3 player. Interested to see what is out there. I swear Ash mentioned one a few months ago but I canny remember what it was.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    I can never get over the feeling the ipod touch is just the iphone with some shit missing, just feels like you get mugged off.
    yeah kind of but the other way round, they are the same appart from the phone receiver which bumps up the price by £200 or so

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ben8000 View Post
    Couldn't agree more R3K. Do wonder if I should just buy a massive card for my phone but I would quite like a separate mp3 player. Interested to see what is out there. I swear Ash mentioned one a few months ago but I canny remember what it was.
    buy a cheap android phone and lob a big SD car in.

I've always found the free apps you can get on Android for playing music absolutely piss all over the shit software you get with an mp3 player.
    The WinAmp app is my favourite, it's really good.

Rides
    iPod classic? Lots of space, although you need to use itunes.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LarZ View Post
    although you need to use itunes.
    no you don't .. there are plenty of 3rd party tools you can use .. loads of them

infact dissing the mighty iPod due to thinking you have to stick to iTunes is no worse than thinking you have to use windows media player to handle all your mp3s etc

IMO the iPod is still by far the best mp3 player to have hit the market due to reliability and design .... and iTunes one of the worst handling apps ... shortly followed by windows media player .. do I use them together ?? ... to coin a phrase .. "huh huh"
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-09-2014 at 09:40.

Rides
    Sony Walkman NWZ-ZX1 - expensive. but you cannot buy better at the moment

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ben8000 View Post
    Sony NWZ-ZX1 if you were referring to me Ben

I've tried one with 24bit Flac files with my B&W P7s and I swear the combination puts everything else I have heard to shame. I would buy one, but just can't justify the expense at the moment

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    no you don't .. there are plenty of 3rd party tools you can use .. loads of them

infact dissing the mighty iPod due to thinking you have to stick to iTunes is no worse than thinking you have to use windows media player to handle all your mp3s etc

IMO the iPod is still by far the best mp3 player to have hit the market due to reliability and design .... and iTunes one of the worst handling apps ... shortly followed by windows media player .. do I use them together ?? ... to coin a phrase .. "huh huh"
    This ^^^^^^^ to some extent, but for Audio quality it is no where near the best anymore

I don't use Itunes much on my iPhone since I use Plex to sync most of the stuff..... however I use iTunes to sync my iPad simply because Traktor DJ uses it for management of playlists and I can't use the Traktor / Traktor DJ metadata sync without it

What I do with itunes is make sure I back up the library file after each track import now, since I don't want the hassle of importing over a TB of music again

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Sony NWZ-ZX1 if you were referring to me Ben

I've tried one with 24bit Flac files with my B&W P7s and I swear the combination puts everything else I have heard to shame. I would buy one, but just can't justify the expense at the moment
    Hows it compare to the same FLAC file played by another device, like pc, laptop, tablet or phone or something?

Rides
    You need to compare it with other portables

iPhone / iPod has the best sound quality for phones / mp3 players generally and the SONY sounds better, better sound stage and more detail

With regards to laptop etc, my laptop only has a 16bit sound card in it, so FLACs are transcoded, however when using my Denon Controller/Sound Card yes - Flacs sound better, but that may be due to the Denon having a better headphone output

Audio quality for phones has been compared with iPhone 5S, Samsung Galaxy S5, Nexus 5, HTC One M8 and Noka 1520 and BlackBerry Z30. Z30 has the best speakers but the iPhone wins for Audio quality IMHO

Mention BEATS and I will say it is shit

Rides
    For Audio Quality, the Sony beats all the portables I have tried

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Sony Walkman NWZ-ZX1 - expensive. but you cannot buy better at the moment
    Yeah a tad more than I wanted to pay. lol

buy a cheap android phone and lob a big SD car in.

I've always found the free apps you can get on Android for playing music absolutely piss all over the shit software you get with an mp3 player.
    The WinAmp app is my favourite, it's really good.
    Any in particular? I can't seem to find Winamp on the playstore? I don't mind paying for the right one.

It does seem that just using my phone is probably the way to go. Always have it on me so makes sense.

Rides
    What as in SD card or phone??

Looks like the Winamp app might have been pulled from the store (probably because they attempted to Winamp down recently) you can still get it from other sources tho.

Rides
    Winamp Download that won't infect the shit out of your phone is here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Wina...3568379862751/

Rides
    What as in SD card or phone??

Looks like the Winamp app might have been pulled from the store (probably because they attempted to Winamp down recently) you can still get it from other sources tho.
    Sorry was talking about apps.

Cheers for the link.