Thread: mystery of the white smoke ...

Rides

mystery of the white smoke ...

Hi lads,

About a month ago my car started smoking pretty badly whilst on boost and at idle, I naturally thought it was the turbo seals on their way out, as the car started to use a fair amount of oil at the same time and it smelled of burning oil, last weekend I changed the turbo for a mint low mileage example and the smoke seemed to diminish abit, but as I've continued to run in this week, and boosted abit more the car is still smoking on boost, not as much, but its still more than is healthy. The turbo I replaced it with had a very small amount of lateral play, like only just conceivable, but it was there, is this normal for a healthy turbo and should I be looking more at cylinder bore condition and valve guides?

Incidentally I did a compression test before I changed the turbo and they were all similar ranging from 125-130 psi.

Also since I changed turbos I havent changed the settings on my boost controller and before it would pull smoothly through to 1bar and the wastegate would open and it would sit at 1bar, now it pulls up to about 13psi and when the wastegate opens it drops a couple of psi, is this normal and do I just need to set up the boost controller again or does that suggest something like a boost leak or something?

Cheers Jay

Rides
    Whats the breathrr pipe like?

Rides
    Breather pipe from rocker to pre turbo pipework? Oily, Ive been planning on making a catch can but haven't got round to it yet, think it would be worth it?

Rides
    Definitely do a boost leak check mate!

Rides
    Whats the best way to test for a boostleak besides visually?

Cheers

Rides
    There is a "how to" in the stickies!

Rides
    Just had a look and couldn't actually see it. But anyway its pretty simple. You need a collection of jam jars, deodorant cans, broom handles etc etc that you can use to block off all of the pipework. So take the hot pipe off the turbo and block that off. Same for the pipe into the throttle body, any other pipes coming off the intercooler pipework. First remove all of the pipes off the BOV as well and block them up. then I use the actuator hose that goes to the wastegate and fit a normal tyre foot pump with a gauge to it. Pump it up to about 14psi and leave it for a few minutes and se of the pressure drops. If it does get some water with a bit of fairy liquid in it and start putting it on all the joins. If you have a leak it will bubble. Don't assume because you found 1 leak you wont find more! If the pressure doesn't drop then you have no leaks so then put the BOV back in and repeat the process.

Rides
    Thanks for that mate ill have a go! Going to make a catch can tommorrow aswell

Rides
    Check and clean your PCV valve

Rides
    Will sounds completely random and border line stupid lol.

A mate of mine had an HKS super dragger exhaust system, back box was angled upwards. Anyway his used to smoke like a mother ****er couldn't find what it was until we removed the exhaust for something and it had water in it.

Turned out the exhaust was catching the rain water when it was sat there, rather than it just blowing out it was catching all the exhaust gases heating up and coming out like smoke that smelt of oil and fuel.

Just a theory if your still left wondering what it could be

Rides
    some turbos need a non return valve in the top breather... sure there was a post on it about 6 years ago :-D cured a bit of white smoke on my t28R

Rides
    or mebbe it needs an oil restrictor in the oi feed?