Thread: Help, Japspeed spacer nuts stuck!!!

Rides

Unhappy Help, Japspeed spacer nuts stuck!!!

Hi all! I'm trying to get my spacers off so I can adjust the handbrake but my spacer nuts are being a nightmare to remove, as they are so shallow the socket can't grab hold of them very well... The nuts were copper greased so shouldn't be seized!

So far I've been to two garages who've tried air tools with no luck, I've tried myself with a breaker bar and a jack pushing it against a wall again got a couple of nuts off but some are starting to slip and trying not to round them (although I do have proper nuts now to replace these).

Have anyone got any other suggestions, is there a magical tool I can get? Thinking a bit of heat but trying to avoid damaging the spacers...

Last edited by Davus200; 22-08-2014 at 09:45.

Rides
    only use a decent 6 sided socket, see if you can find 1 that's just the right length so doesn't stick out too far and swing off it and at worst snap the stud then just get some new ones orrrrr fine somewhere with a powerful 3/4" or 1" windy gun. Very worst case drill the studs out

Rides
    nut splitter! Or my old faithful. Mole Grips on the nut as tight as you can get them!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpbike View Post
    only use a decent 6 sided socket, see if you can find 1 that's just the right length so doesn't stick out too far and swing off it and at worst snap the stud then just get some new ones orrrrr fine somewhere with a powerful 3/4" or 1" windy gun. Very worst case drill the studs out
    Good shout, will see if I can find something like a snap on socket, seems to be a bit too much play in my halfords ones....

Quote Originally Posted by pippin89 View Post
    nut splitter! Or my old faithful. Mole Grips on the nut as tight as you can get them!
    I can't get either in their as the nuts are counter sunk into the spacer

Rides
    If you get a 6 sided socket that fits snug and then grind it down so it doesn't have that shamfer on it to give you as much surface area as possible.

other wise you could try a sharp punch and try to knock it around but I wouldn't do that till you have rounded it off.

Rides
    Just hammer a 16mm socket on

Rides
    You can get sockets that grip the sides of the nut instead of the corners too, which are handy for removing slightly rounded heads.

Rides
    Give up with the Halfords socket mate, they're crap. As stated, use a good 6 sided shallow socket and a big bar. Failing that there is a socket called an Alligator grip or something that's splined inside so it grips anything.

Rides

Rides
    If its a 19mm beat a 18mm six side socket on it, or a 16mm if its a 17mm nut,
    I believe beating the socket on and lots of swearing scares it undone (most of the time)

Rides
    buy a decent 6 sided socket, preferably an impact socket, take it to an engineers and get the outside diameter turned down so it fits down inside the counterbore of the spacer and get them to face the socket so it has no " lead " / chamfer, so you get full engagement from the get go, bosh.

Rides
    socket wrench and welding point. you put the electrode by the internal hollow portion of the key and you weld the nut to the key

Rides
    can you not get an offset spanner in there and but a bar on the end of it would of thought that would do the trick.

Rides
    Thanks just for all your suggestions I'll give them a go, otherwise the grinder will be coming out

Rides
    The other option is to beat the open end of a smaller spanner on there straight on (90DEG from normal) and put a bar through the ring end. has word for me in the past.