Thread: Track day insurance

Rides

Track day insurance

Hi peeps,
    Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for track day insurance. Obv not going to bother with the MR2 as the insurance is prob more than its worth but My friends coming in his lotus exige and was wondering the best people to go with.
    Thanks

Rides
    Bind!!

Rides
    I used to use Competition Car Insurance with my Exige. If he's a member of an owners club (eg SELOC) they do discounts too. I did annual road insurance that covered 5 trackdays a year but I think they do single track days to.

Or just don't crash!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Check with his current insurer. Some offer the service at an additional cost.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Hi,

We can offer daily track day insurance - PM me some details if you like & I can arrange for our quotes team to get in touch.

Regards
    Dan

Rides
    I imagine its quite similar to bike track day insurance which I found to be an impractical proposition.

As always with insurance, you should take the time to understand what cover you are buying.

I found most had large excesses which effectively means you only get to claim if you total the car. In my case, the excess usually exceeded the total value of the bike.

I even found one that only covered other people/vehicles which, given the disclaimers that you sign when you sign-on, offers nothing.

Almost all excluded any sort of cover for places like the Nurburgring.

Finally, bear in mind that if you do buy track day insurance and at a later date try to claim for a road accident involving your car, they are likely to look very carefully at whether the accident actually happened on a public road (some unscrupulous people have been known to drag crashed cars off race tracks to a public road).

Rides
    I thought the rule was if you cant afford to wreck it dont track it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    I thought the rule was if you cant afford to wreck it dont track it.
    I know what you mean. I had bikes worth no more than 2K on the basis I didn't want to be afraid of the cost of crashing it so I could ride it like I stole it

That works 'til you swamp yourself in debt to buy your dream vehicle then find it doesn't really work on the road - only on a track.

If, for example, I bought a Ferrari worth 50k, I'd want to see what it was capable of on a track but I wouldn't want to eat more than 5Ks worth of damage if some tool T-boned me during a rash overtake. I think that is where TDI starts to make sense.

East Anglia Area Rep Slip_n_slide's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    if some tool T-boned me during a rash overtake.
    Haha, subtle!

I did look at track insurance through flux. £95 or there abouts and then a 750 or 850 excess. I can't remember exactly as at that point I stopped looking as it would cost me near on a grand to make a claim! Pretty sure most repairs could be carried out for that.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    ... Pretty sure most repairs could be carried out for that.
    If you slide off and nudge a barrier then yes. If you spin up the rears and pirouette into the barrier at an appreciable speed, you could end up doing the panels on all four sides and popping the glass, snapping all the suspension and creasing the boot. THEN you'll be looking at a lot more than a grand even on an s14

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Bear in mind we are talking about an Exige with a book value of £23K minimum and the driver hasnt ever been on track before ........... £850 excess would cover one of the clams never mind anything else.
    I actually got it myself when I went to Spa last year, TBF that was more about getting the car back if the worst did happen but it does give you a lot of peace of mind
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    I just hope his lotus isn't like my mates. He brought one so he didn't have to worry about damaging his R8 GT. The first track day 2 sessions in he said he almost put it in to the wall due to the ball sack pain the car was giving him.

I still find it funny now.