Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Japfest 2014 - Mondello Park 28th September 2014, featuring Vaughan Gitten Jr & Chris Forsberg!!

Rides

Rides

Rides
    great pics there! ^^

The drifting was great to watch.
    we have some serious pilots doing the rounds (quite literally) atm and the drifting is well managed and organised.
    the americans were awesome to watch. loved the beige nissan they brought over.

Show itself, well what can I say, if your on facebook and you follow the feedback from the show, I dont really have
    to go into detail BUT i will say this; it COULD be ALOT better..................................

Want to thank everyone that out their car on our stand It was great to have ye on board this year and hopefully
    next year we can really bring out the drums with stands at events, meets and sxoc specific events!

sxoc stand looked great at this, with (i hope i got the list right!) :
    sean's yellow 14.5,
    my own matt purple s13 ruby,
    derek's emerald s14a,
    adrian's 1JZ ps13 multishade ;p
    neil's vpowered sil80,
    derek's white s14a,
    paddy's red ps13,
    motorheadirl's & Jim's s15's
    larz's black PS13
    rinty with the black s14a parked across our stand
    and of course the CBQ
    "If you don't fight for something, you'll fall for anything" - The Wise Man

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Neelie View Post
    loved the beige nissan they brought over.
    That's D-Mac's, pretty sure it lives in Cork It's nice alright.

Hopefully myself and Cillian get there in time to beat the Passats into the paddock next time...

Rides
    Yeah, what was that all about? The amount of farmer spec non-Japanese cars at a Japanese car show was crazy! Some sort of quality control mechanism should have been brought into play.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cess View Post
    Yeah, what was that all about? The amount of farmer spec non-Japanese cars at a Japanese car show was crazy! Some sort of quality control mechanism should have been brought into play.
    My run down of Japfest 2014:

Pros
    -CBQ coming out of hibernation
    -Having a great turn out of S-bodies for the club stand
    -Catching up with everyone again (including the elusive JapMadLad )
    -What I saw of the drifting was great, but I missed all the battles due to CBQing

Cons
    -Terrible organisation on Mondello's part.
    -No designated spaces for clubs in the paddock, so people literally parking all over the shop
    -SXOC not even on the list when we arrived on site, even though they had posted me out the stickers etc!
    -Display area full of Eurotrash, and registered members being turned away in S-Bodies as it was "full"
    -Arseholes in Civics and other shit revving their engines and bouncing off limiters all day
    -General scumminess of a lot of the crowd in attendance

I even saw one lad in the display area in a red 306 hatchback that literally looked like it had driven off a farm. Even said Agri-spec on the back window...

It was great seeing everyone, but I didn't really enjoy the day overall. I don't think I'll be bothering next year myself

Rides
    I think Clint has given a fairly good round up of the day .

Overall I enjoyed the day despite the cock ups.

I didnt really get to see much of the paddock because of the organisation problems and the CBQ.

Personally i would almost prefer if the idea of Japfest was forgotten about a general car show was put in place where you applied to get into the show. Reason being , that even if all the euro stuff had been removed on sunday , there would still have been 25% of the jap stuff that was scrap. I mean lets face it , some of the euro cars out-shone alot of the ropey jap cars that was there (mazda6 with katanas!) .

It will never happen though as it would involve Mondello turning away money.
    My S14.5 Rebuild Thread - clicky --
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=468362

Rides
    I don't like slagging other cars off, but I agree with you Clint and NismoNut. The non-Japanese cars weren't great and the standard of Japanese cars was variable.

There were some crackers in the car park though.

Positives - the drifting was superb.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by NismoNut View Post
    Personally i would almost prefer if the idea of Japfest was forgotten about a general car show was put in place where you applied to get into the show. Reason being , that even if all the euro stuff had been removed on sunday , there would still have been 25% of the jap stuff that was scrap. I mean lets face it , some of the euro cars out-shone alot of the ropey jap cars that was there (mazda6 with katanas!)
    Disagree there Sean. I think we need a JAP ONLY show in Ireland, as the vags have their yearly 3 - 4 vag only shows too. Im a firm believer in fair is fair and the drifting in Ireland doesnt represent the jap scene, as thats what it seems to be case atm because the japs dont have their jap only show in place. Japfest was meant to fill that niche but obviously cant as the vags are being let in.... and its not like they are stunner vags (best vags in Ireland etc...) they are just pure RUBBISH. At Titanic Dubs this year there was a 350z in the actual show BUT that was probably the best 350z in Ireland, hence why its presence is adequate even at a just vag event. BUT the vag cars that were in Mondello should have been under the scrappage scheme more than anything else tbh... and this is a fact.

There should be a commitee founded, that manages the entries and the organization of Japfest, just like VAGE NI do the shows in Ireland for the vag cars. End of. Mondello, should be venue ONLY (and involved in the drifting ie IDC/PRODRIFT etc) but not involved in organizing as they are clearly not capable of doing it.
    Last edited by Neelie; 02-10-2014 at 19:11.
    "If you don't fight for something, you'll fall for anything" - The Wise Man

Rides
    Fair enough, i think that if Japfest is to continue then it should be an apply/accept system.

I still dont understand the big divide between Jap/Euro owners , its always baffled me.

Rides
    Because Japs are just better

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by NismoNut View Post
    Fair enough, i think that if Japfest is to continue then it should be an apply/accept system.
    Absolutely. There is a definite gap in the market for a well organised Japanese car themed show, along the lines of Dubshed or whatever. Mondello would be a great venue, as it has the facilities and the track.

The show this year was well below par. The drifting was top quality and made the day worth while. All of my mates who were there have or owned various Japanese cars, yet I was the only one who took a trip round the show. The rest took one look and decided it wasn't worth their while. And they would have been right.

That said, there were some diamonds in the rough. That vertex edition Aristo was perfect.

Rides
    Could any Full Members who attended Japfest please PM me their PayPal address so we can sort out your subsidies.
    Thanking you!😊

Rides
    The problem with the above is that Mondello run the show at Japfest, and as such they are in charge of who gets in. They have no affiliation with Japanese cars specifically, and "Japfest" is just a name. As such, they don't give a shit what clubs come in, once they're paying €20 each.

Added to that, you have crossover clubs like Euro & JDM Ireland who have a varied turnout of members cars on display. No disrespect to them, but its another element that dilutes the content on display.

For the record, IDC are not affiliated with the show element of Japfest at all, and likewise Mondello are not involved with the running of the IDC, just to make the distinction very clear.

The bottom line is this, Mondello will never run an event for a certain type of car only when there's money to be made. If we want a Jap only event, we'll have to do it ourselves. The first step towards it I believe, is the Irish SXOC weekender which IS happening in 2015, and we will be calling on all S-body and Nissan performance car owners to help get it off the ground. Keep an eye on the forum for more details between now and Xmas