Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dvla tax change

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    I think I'm going to find the oldest one I have for the car and put that in the window
    I like that idea a lot

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    I am gonna print something like this out and leave it in the window.

5581725-large.jpg

Watfor(d), but now temp in Stutton, Zuffuk..., then temp in Armitage (Bog centre of the world)... then FINNNALY to Quarry Bonk, Brum!! puff puff.
    Rides
    Sad as I AM, I'd already pulled my tax discs from both my cars & encapsulated them, then put them back. Aim to keep them for life... Don't know why, - but when you get to my age you start doing things to cling to the past, usually with no justification, value or worth. Shame I didn't try the same with my hair years ago!

R.

Hmm, encapsulated hair, think I'll take that idea to the D's Den.

Rides
    I'm trying to see if I still have a disk from my first car to go in the Nissan. If I can't find that then I know I have one from a 1984 Merc I can use

Rides
    I was really aiming for a "timewarp" look rather than a retro modification.

Sort of, looks standard, looks almost as good as it did in the early 90s, genuine tax disc from the early 90s.

Sadly, I've just been through my papers and I have MOTs all the way back to 96, service record back to 93, the original bill of sale, the newspaper advert that I found the car in back in 97 and any Gods number of other things but no tax disc earlier than 2004.

Bugger !

Rides
    Or you could put a piece of paper over the tax disc holder and write Tax in Cloud on it

Rides
    In my day.. he says.. we used to have these paper discs displayed in the window! :P

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by *alansx* View Post
    Or you could put a piece of paper over the tax disc holder and write Tax in Cloud on it
    Hmmm... thinks....that might have legs...

Rides
    So now all you need to look legal is set of plates ordered off the web for a matching car. Makes clonning easier. No pesky tax disc to get right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by james_200sx View Post
    So now all you need to look legal is set of plates ordered off the web for a matching car. Makes clonning easier. No pesky tax disc to get right.
    Until you get 2 cars clocked on different cameras within an hour where the cameras are hours apart.

Rides
    How are they going to police this? Are they relying on the ANPR's that are fitted to police vehicles or are they going to be using the thousands of fixed ANPR cameras that are dotted around everywhere that just used to collect traffic flow information?

Rides
    You mean people driving a car with SORN on the road?

Yea probably ANPR, but really it always was because unless someone happens across such a car they wouldn't detect it anyway.

Rides
    Plus police checks and people dobbing in their enemies after checking to see if it is taxed on the gov.uk site.

Rides
    Until you get 2 cars clocked on different cameras within an hour where the cameras are hours apart.
    Ahem nooo you remove the plates after filling up

Rides
    Plus police checks and people dobbing in their enemies after checking to see if it is taxed on the gov.uk site.
    That service takes ****ing ages tho, it's hardly worth the bother.

This I found after one of our neighbours went about buying cars with 1-2 months t&t, and when it ran out just dumping it on our street and buying another.
    Guy had 4 completely ****ed cars littering the place up at one point, bit of a piss-take when everyone else pays test/tax/insurance.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BWanderers View Post
    Sad as I AM, I'd already pulled my tax discs from both my cars & encapsulated them, then put them back. Aim to keep them for life... Don't know why, - but when you get to my age you start doing things to cling to the past, usually with no justification, value or worth. Shame I didn't try the same with my hair years ago!

R.

Hmm, encapsulated hair, think I'll take that idea to the D's Den.
    I'm pretty sure the colours of tax disks were designed to bleach out in UV so after a year or so they will be pretty much a white piece of paper

Rides
    IF my tax is due on the 1st October and i apply online sometime in september will i get a paper tax disc or not?
    Also i assume that the direct debit is now set up online on the renewal page?

Thanks

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by redlinezak View Post
    IF my tax is due on the 1st October and i apply online sometime in september will i get a paper tax disc or not?
    Also i assume that the direct debit is now set up online on the renewal page?

Thanks
    If you current disc expires on the last day of September, then I would guess not. If you apply in September for a new one to run from any date in September then I would guess yes.

Apparently they are already having to print discs on non-perforated paper and my guess would be they will issue September-starting ones and not print October-starting ones.

DD will probs be via a linked secure app, I would guess - called from the renewal page.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Janus View Post
    I'm pretty sure the colours of tax disks were designed to bleach out in UV so after a year or so they will be pretty much a white piece of paper
    My dashboard has eaten this years disc so last years is back on display - That's holding up really quite nicely and I think has been there since I did Rockingham back in about March

Rides
    Tax on my Volvo runs out at the end of the month. Just renewed online "The law has changed. From the 1st October you are no longer required to display a tax disc, therefore we will not issue one to you".

End of an era. Not going to miss tearing round those perforations.