Thread: Wilwood debate continues..

Rides

Wilwood debate continues..

solo

last weekend driving the car on a spirited drive and had to brake sharpish, the offside locked up like a mofo nearside didn't.

thought right no worries replace the seals and check the bleeding, seems like a over-active caliper

now speaking to Rally deign down in Kent he reckons that the one that didn't lock could be the problem, and in fact he was under impression they should have both locked up fairly easy

i know there are plenty using this set up, so does every one else lock them (both) up fairly easily?

Rides

I darn gone put ma Wilwoods in dat dare bin. Good ridances is what I say
    Lady Gaga.

Rides
    LOL /\ wtf

Are you on about the 345mm big upgrade kit mate?

I've just had mine fitted and worn them in (200 miles ish in) and I haven't had them lock up once. Tbh that could be because they are so new?

Seem fantastic to me going from standard calipers though lol

Ry

Rides
    I can't get my head around the problems you seem to have Mark. They wouldn't be so popular in aftermarket and competition circles in the states if they were not right generally. Not saying you're not having problems but it's a strange one

Rides
    Well it might not actually be the brakes, first off whens the last time you had your tracking checked? If one side is out then it will have less grip than the other, also things like worn shocks, balljoints tyres, both equal air pressure? Both worn the same?

Hell could have even just been something on the road that affected that tyre etc

Locking up doesnt mean any caliper or brake system is good, all it means is you have exceeded the tyres grip.

Rides
    Camber on the road? Were you turning? What tyres do you have? What condition are they in? What pressures?

There is so much more to braking performance than just the brakes themselves...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    I can't get my head around the problems you seem to have Mark. They wouldn't be so popular in aftermarket and competition circles in the states if they were not right generally. Not saying you're not having problems but it's a strange one
    my initial problems where eventually attributed to wrong thickness of washers being supplied as a result the disk sat off centre causing the brakes to jam on constantly...thats the jist of it.

as for road, it was fairly smooth tracking is ok there is a little wandering bit nothing major, shocks are less than 3 years old and barely used and tyre wear is uniform across both tyres.

Ollie, Shane was driving it at the time

Rides
    Well that answers all your problems mark, let shane drive your car = rape

funnily enough just before taking the beemer for the mot i let shane drive it....needed the water pump, rad, tyres and other bits straight after lol....

seriously though the only thing i can suggest first is to take your car down an empty road (try and get a nice flat one that doesnt camber loads) 1and stamp on the brakes a few times to see if they work equally.

sticky pistons could cause a brake to not engage hard enough OR i had it on my s13 where they locked up at the slightest hint of braking.

Rides
    If you jump on the brakes in a car with uprated brakes, track pads, stiff suspension, cold-ish tyres etc. they should be capable of locking the wheels.

Rides
    Before you do anything have you actually checked they are well bled?

Your car is running quite a lot of camber so I would expect them to lock up easily BUT depending on how accurate your alignment is AND how the wheel was sitting on the road at the time could massively affect the braking.

As Ollie said take it down a flat road and ram them on

The alignment on my E36 is bang on, the discs, pads and calipers are new but it still locks one wheel up earlier than the other sometimes.

Unless you are consistently locking up the same wheel or the car is pulling on braking or any other bad sympton i wouldnt worry!! Bare it in mind and come back here if the above happens!

See you at HWH next friday!!!!!? Would be good to catch up mate

Rides
    Other than the bleeding seeming to take forever for some reason?

mine have been good not brembo good but good.

Rides
    You going hwh next friday mark? Been agggess mate!

Rides
    Clicky

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zornyan View Post
    You going hwh next friday mark? Been agggess mate!
    Keep meaning to get down there and have a catch up, whenever I think of it i've already missed it.

I'll see you down there next friday! I might even get the BM out!