Thread: CA overfueling...

Rides

CA overfueling...

Hiya guys, I have a CA18DET with a Stage 2 H-dev chip, now I'm running a T28 with a Gizzmo boost controller and it currently peaks boost at about 1.05 bar at about 4k then after that it's about 0.96 bar.

My question is my car overfuels ALOT! Like off boost you can faintly smell fuel but on boost and just after there's a VERY strong fuel smell so I'm presuming it's overfueling alot!!

Now I've recently got my 255 walbro wired correctly(wire running from the battery and an earth alot closer to the pump) and the overfueling has got an awful lot stronger since then!

Now my car is stripped out but the smell is really strong.

Also my car does not have a lambda, any suggestions guys?

Rides
    i take it if you have hard wired your pump you have not used a relay??

has you timing been set correctly also

Rides
    No its not hard wired, there is a relay and it has a 20 amp fuse in it

Forgot to mention I have a HKS Actuator fitted to my turbo aswell which sets the actuator pressure at about 0.8 bar boost

Rides
    Well I'm running twin exhaust cams and the timing seems fine to me

Rides
    are you using adjustable cam pulleys with the twin exhaust cams if not this may be your problem .
    Last edited by mospin; 30-07-2014 at 23:11.

Rides
    Nah just standard ones, and ye I expected it to overfuel a bit with this setup but the amount it does at the moment is wayy to much.

Before I had the fuel pump wired up to the battery it seemed quite normal and wasn't overly strong at all, it's since having the fuel pump wired up that it's got mega strong.

Would dropping the fuse to a 15 amp help? Or would that start to restrict the fueling

Rides
    right heres your problem then

you take out the intake cam and replace it with a exhaust cam and advance the timing one tooth on the intake side. otherwise your going to run waayyy to lean and burn through your pistons and then you have to spend an extra ££££ on engineering work to fix that little opsie...

standard timing on the cas i think its 15tdc

see what anyone else says i may be wrong but i would consider putting the inlet cam back
    Last edited by mospin; 30-07-2014 at 23:18.

Rides
    fitting a smaller fuse in the attempt to reduce the fuel pump efficiency lol, come one charlotte thats nuts.

Rides
    What evidence do you have of overfueling ? If its just the smell, I don't think it will be overfueling but a petrol leak. I reckon its the tank lid o-ring seal.

They expand when exposed to petrol and you need to fit a new one when refitting the tank lid (or, do a pikey mod and cut a little less than an inch out of the seal to reduce its size).

If you are certain its not the seal, look for leaks in the pipes. Hardwiring the pump will lead to an increase in pressure in the pipes leading to the rail.

Rides
    Alright Jonny it's going up on the ramps today so will check it all out, there's a very slight split in the fuel line where it connects to the pump in the rear but that's after the jubilee clip and it's dry so it don't be leaking from there.

Oh and the car uses an absurd amount of fuel, like for one drift day, for fuel just on track I spend like £90 and it costs me £30 to do 100 miles, surely that is overfueling as I didn't think S13s where this bad on fuel...

Rides
    Just whip the plugs out. If they are black and sooty, its overfueling. If they're not, you are losing fuel from somewhere outside of the engine.

Generally, if its overfueling and smelling of fuel, that will be because the fuel is not getting burned on the way through and you'll notice that as it will be misfiring or not runing on all cylinders.

Rides
    Well it runs fine, I took the plugs out about a month or so ago and this is what they looked like.

I'll check all the fuel lines etc today and will look at that seal around the fuel pump you mentioned before.

Rides
    Fix the cam setup, thats just silly running it like that.

Don't **** about looking for other problems, you've got a massive one staring you in the face.

Rides
    Doesn't look like overfueling to me based on that plug.

Rides
    Exhaust leaks and rusty holes in the floor can smell quite alot like over-fuelling.

Not speaking from experience or anything like that

Rides
    exhaust cam out of phase on the inlet is a crap modification. I had to fix it on craigs and his was crap when it was in.

put a normal inlet cam back on to start with.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Totally defeats the point in the mod if it's not timed up correctly.

IIRC the difference is minimal anyway.