Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horsham Chip vs E-Manage...?

Rides

Horsham Chip vs E-Manage...?

I'm getting closer to the point of now doing something about power on my 14a. A friend local has a horsham devlelopmemts chip.. Stage2 i believe.

Now my previous car was a Glanza and i had it mapped with E-Manage ultimate. Im wondering if there is any gains of the horsham chip vs the emanage. My understanding is emanage isn't neccessarily a standalone ECU it just controls fueling etc..

So if i was going for a Stage 1a/2 on a hdev, would i see more gains from a map on Emanage?

Rides
    I don't know anything about emanage but with a chip you need to make sure you have the correct spec for the chip, otherwise it won't work

Rides
    Emanage is a "cheap" solution to standalone ECU's being too expensive and is limited. Whereas H-dev chips are a daughterboard in the OEM ECU. Both have strengths but personally I would go with the tried and tested H-dev chips that everyone on here who has one raves about or a full standalone system. Emanage would be a half-arsed attempt at a standalone system and (I think) a lot more expensive than H-dev chip. But that is just my opinion.

Rides
    E-Manage is expensive without a doubt.

I'd never been a fan of plug and play stuff on cars. But, considering everyone uses a hdev. I'll just stick with that.

I need to get fueling checked after i get a 1a chip dont i?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pippin89 View Post
    Emanage is a "cheap" solution to standalone ECU's being too expensive and is limited. Whereas H-dev chips are a daughterboard in the OEM ECU. Both have strengths but personally I would go with the tried and tested H-dev chips that everyone on here who has one raves about or a full standalone system. Emanage would be a half-arsed attempt at a standalone system and (I think) a lot more expensive than H-dev chip. But that is just my opinion.
    the emanage ultimate is a very powerfull piece of kit, "half arsed" is not a term i would use. A custom map will ALWAYS be better than a generic map.
    Last edited by 59bhp; 30-07-2014 at 12:09.

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    The e-manage is a piggy back.... I'm sure it has issues with the Nissan ECU.

The Chips work well if you make sure the mods match. Plenty of users have zero issues.

I'd go for the chip.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    If you want a bespoke map then get nistune IMHO.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Iv actually just stumbled across nistune.. What benefits can that bring?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 59bhp View Post
    the emanage ultimate is a very powerfull piece of kit, "half arsed" is not a term i would use. A custom map will ALWAYS be better than a generic map.
    I cant say I would agree that they are ALWAYS better, Yes if you have £3k+ to spend on a proper standalone and all the supporting kit and getting it mapped properly then it will more than likely give better results. But as long as you have the right mods and your car is in good condition then spending £200ish on a generic chip has to be the better option for the average user. On top of that a generic chip has been developed over years of testing whereas a custom map is done with a few hours on a dyno. I'm not say custom maps aren't better. But are they really worth well over 10 times the price for the average person who is following the mods suggested anyway?

Rides
    Nistune works in a similar way to the H-dev chips but have the ability to have a custom map by anyone (not just H-dev as with their chips). It also has more functionality and you can play with it yourself so if you're confident with it then its a good way to learn some basics of mapping and also means you don't need a trip to the mappers everytime you change injectors for example.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeldoz View Post
    Iv actually just stumbled across nistune.. What benefits can that bring?
    It's effectively the same concept as the h-dev chips in that its a daughter board that attaches to the standard ecu. It keeps the standard alarm etc yet allows for a fully custom map by various tuners inc h-dev.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Instead of picking the hardware then finding a mapper i would find a mapper then talk to them about your budget and what you want from the car
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Unless you're after more than 350hp I'd just stick with the h-dev chip.

Rides
    I'm not say custom maps aren't better. But are they really worth well over 10 times the price for the average person who is following the mods suggested anyway?
    after seeing fueling curves of some of the generic maps, yes, without a doubt.

Rides
    If the fueling is massively out then that would hint to a problem with the car not the map.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubix_Cube View Post
    The e-manage is a piggy back.... I'm sure it has issues with the Nissan ECU.
    The blue did, but the Ultimate has fixed the issues IIRC.

Still, it's a moot point IMO for the cost of one you can have a Nistune setup sorted.

Rides
    I cant say I would agree that they are ALWAYS better, Yes if you have £3k+ to spend on a proper standalone and all the supporting kit and getting it mapped properly then it will more than likely give better results. But as long as you have the right mods and your car is in good condition then spending £200ish on a generic chip has to be the better option for the average user. On top of that a generic chip has been developed over years of testing whereas a custom map is done with a few hours on a dyno. I'm not say custom maps aren't better. But are they really worth well over 10 times the price for the average person who is following the mods suggested anyway?
    What your saying doesn't actually make that much sense at all tbh. So you would rather a generic chip that's been developed without the mapper ever having seen your car, versus a map custom done for your specific car with the exact mods etc?

A custom map is better, the variable is the mapper but pick a good one (go to protuner) and it's better in every single way than a generic chip, and beleive me the car will drive a hell of a lot better as a result! The generic chip is a compromise to be safe for any car it's fitted to. And your prices are insane and misleading, go to Greg and pay around £650-700 I beleive it is now for nistune and a map, drive away happy and your sorted, no need to spend as much as your cars worth on an ecu unless your running mega power etc

Go and speak to anyone that maps cars and tell them your generic chip is better, and be prepared for the laughter.

For the record I actually run a generic chip myself ATM, and a custom map on another car. For the 200 the generic chip suits me ATM, il modify it further and go for a custom map in the future, so it suits my needs at this time, if it suits your needs go for it, they are safe and they are proven hundreds of times, if you go for a custom map pick and good mapper and it will be better.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sprint View Post
    What your saying doesn't actually make that much sense at all tbh. So you would rather a generic chip that's been developed without the mapper ever having seen your car, versus a map custom done for your specific car with the exact mods etc?

A custom map is better, the variable is the mapper but pick a good one (go to protuner) and it's better in every single way than a generic chip, and beleive me the car will drive a hell of a lot better as a result! The generic chip is a compromise to be safe for any car it's fitted to. And your prices are insane and misleading, go to Greg and pay around £650-700 I beleive it is now for nistune and a map, drive away happy and your sorted, no need to spend as much as your cars worth on an ecu unless your running mega power etc

Go and speak to anyone that maps cars and tell them your generic chip is better, and be prepared for the laughter.

For the record I actually run a generic chip myself ATM, and a custom map on another car. For the 200 the generic chip suits me ATM, il modify it further and go for a custom map in the future, so it suits my needs at this time, if it suits your needs go for it, they are safe and they are proven hundreds of times, if you go for a custom map pick and good mapper and it will be better.
    You started by saying that it made no sense and then clarified everything I said. I never said that a generic chip is better. If you're willing to spend the money you will get better results with a custom map. I said that for the average person with basic mods it makes more sense to spend far less money on a generic chip and stick to the recommended mods. As you said it makes more sense for you as your car isn't massively modified. If you read the OP's post he implies he has basic mods talking about stage 2 etc. Therefore he is in a similar boat to you and me where its not worth him spending the money on a custom map. and my prices were based on a full standalone system as I stated. And it was based on a quote from H-Dev for a Syvecs ECU fully fitted and mapped and as I cant remember the exact figure it was conservative. Nistune is another matter. Yes you can have a custom map that will usually give better results but again is it worth spending 3 times the cost of the H-dev chips for it at basic tuning levels??

Rides
    In response, on high insight i probably will stick to a h-dev chip once i get a manifold and injectors to suit that chip.

However, i will go top mount in the future or the bigger turbo for 350+bhp and i dont want to run the hdev map on the bigger garrett turbo.

Iv read online good stuff about Nisune, so i may go down that avenue. Out of curiousity, how much shit can an SR20 take on standard internals?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeldoz View Post
    In response, on high insight i probably will stick to a h-dev chip once i get a manifold and injectors to suit that chip.

However, i will go top mount in the future or the bigger turbo for 350+bhp and i dont want to run the hdev map on the bigger garrett turbo.

Iv read online good stuff about Nisune, so i may go down that avenue. Out of curiousity, how much shit can an SR20 take on standard internals?
    Probably the best bet. Difficult question to answer. It depends on the condition of the engine to begin with, how well its set up and how you drive it. Generally 400bhp seems to be the limit so most people stick to 380 err on the side of caution. But at that level it would be advisable to go metal head gasket. Nissan bottom ends tend to be pretty solid. But personally I would stay very safe and have 350 max on standard engine.