Thread: S12 gearbox strength?

Rides

S12 gearbox strength?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows how much power and torque an s12 box can take. I am mid Sr swap and trying to decided if I should use my C transmission from the S12 (this is what I would prefer!) - Or if I should just go straight with an s14 box and start cutting things to accommodate it.

I would like 350bhp at the fly soonish as a target for the car.

Any advice?

Thanks, guys!

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Hmmm. I reckon you would be OK, but I wouldnt stake anything on it TBF, Id advise either looking at what the Aussies have done with high power or look back a few years in this section - s13eater was running 350+ on a standard box IIRC and there may have been others too ..........
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    most of the scimitar guys use them with the CA18ET and DET on track and they cope fairly well. Unlike the heavier nissans, big power rarely ends in missing teeth or broken internal shafts (reason most go for OS Giken gearsets/shafts in 200s) as smaller lighter scimitars are more traction limited. Main thing to keep the health is decent oil, genuine Nissan or Redline Shockproof, and not rushing the changes. Its easy on track to slam the change through and it wears the baulk rings (sparkly golden bits in your oil change ;-) ) but main thing is breaking selector forks, same in s13 and s14 boxes. The forks are cast ally and don't like bending loads.

if its a road car and you drive with sympathy for the box, no clutch kicking, slammed changes etc, it will last well enough, certainly as long as the s13 or 14 boxes as the majority of components are the same or if not interchangeable, then same design anyway.

Rides
    Cool, thanks a lot guys - that is the kind of talk I was hoping to hear!

It will be a drift car as well as daily driver, so clutch kicks and slammed changes....maybe, but I will keep a close eye on the gearbox and check/change the fluids like you suggested.

I am guessing that when these forks go, they take most of the gears in the box with them too?

Rides
    No gears tend to survive, the ally selectors act as a 'fuse'. There was a finnish/swedish driver who raced a silvia and made some billet steel selectors, ghink he posted on s12oc if you do break the s12 box selectors

Rides
    Oh cool. Just signed up there, I didn't even know that forum was active. There are actually S12s being broken there too, nice. Thanks again!

Rides
    worst case and for peace of mind, if your not afraid of cutting and bashing, RB25/Z32 gear box adaptor, should really last for ever behind 350HP, not sure how big your tunnel will be though as it's quite a fat box compared to the skinny SR ones

Rides
    I have a z32 with Maxworks adaptor plate instead of the s13/s14 boxes but it is a big old beast and may need tunnel surgery in an s12 but would be unburtsable

Rides
    Thanks again for the info. I think to avoid tunnel surgery I will go with the s12 box to begin with, il hold onto my s14 box too. But hopefully I wont have to use it.

Rides
    SR box is a pretty easy swap in, only changes where the gear stick is and needs the mount adapting slightly (use S13/14 front prop section and S12 rear - I think from memory - it's been a while!).

I've mushed the syncros on second and third in the SR box, so I'm not sure if they are much stronger than the C type trans. That wasn't even running a turbo, just a KA24DE, it does get a little bit of abuse though.