View Poll Results: In this example would you remap?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 83.33%
  • No

4 16.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To remap or not remap?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    I'm not sure I've ever seen a thread where someone mentions remapping their diesel, that isn't shortly followed by 'and then the clutch/dmf went'.

If that's something you're happy to accept, then go ahead. If you want to extend the life of those (no idea how much that will run you, I'd guess at least 1k?) then go for it
    Quite a few people's clutches go when they go Stage 1. It doesn't stop them and it doesn't mean its not a good idea.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Quite a few people's clutches go when they go Stage 1. It doesn't stop them and it doesn't mean its not a good idea.
    I think a 20 year old sporty Nissan and a relatively new diesel work horse doing a ton of miles is probably not quite comparable!

Rides
    SX clutch - £200-300 and relatively easy to do yourself

Mazda 6 clutch + DMF - Circa £800 and a complete cnut to do

Not really a like for like comparison is it
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Well obviously. Which is why I'd say to anyone thinking of going stage 1
    Quote Originally Posted by my advice
    It's not uncommon to see a thread where someone mentions going stage 1, that isn't shortly followed by 'and then the clutch went'.

If that's something you're happy to accept, then go ahead. If you want to extend the life of those (no idea how much that will run you, I'd guess at least £400) then go for it

Rides
    I wasn't disagreeing with your advice, just pointing out its not a weasel-specific problem.

Personally, I think remapping a diesel is polishing a turd but then I have a deep-seated dislike of diesels to begin with and if the title had said "To remap or not remap a diesel" I would have scrolled right past the thread. lol.

Rides
    I am no diesel lover...however when you have to cover 25k plus private miles a year it does have it's attractions

I have no idea how long a clutch and DMF would last, the car had one private owner for it's first 4.5 years and 95k of life before I owned it, who was in his late 60's and also has a Lotus 7, he looked after it religiously, always Mazda service on the dot every 12k, always original spec Bridgestones etc.

So I am wondering what is a reasonable time for the clutch/dmf to last...would it cope with another 55k over next 2 years? I don't do GP starts, mostly mid range acceleration in 3rd to 6 th gear.

If the clutch is unlikely to last to 150k anyway...may as well budget in to change it when it does go.

The way I see it Jonny is I love petrol cars hence the 200sx, but seeing as I spend 95% of my driving life in the diesel anything that can make it better to drive is good, it's already a very good drive...obviously would prefer if it was a 2.2 turbo petrol
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Depending on use they can last anywhere between 40k and 140k. My Mondeo one went at around 130k but i know some who have been used to tow a lot to go around 50k. So you may get it to go the distance you want if you do mainly cruising and dont put it under much load or it could go next week
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Sounds like it's a low chance the clutch would get from it's current 102k to 150k then. Even though they are mostlt relatively easy miles there are a lot of very steep climbs it does to and from house in Snowdonia each day I am there.

What is the longest anyone has had a clutch/dmf last?

Rides
    Why don't you start putting a tenner a week in your sock drawer now and stop worrying about it??

Rides
    Where do the socks go then?

Excellent suggestion though, will start putting £10 a week away now

And book remap. Elite have offered to come and do it in works car park for no extra charge, however I've always had them done previous on a RR with before and after, that sounds better to me?

Rides
    I think alot of diesel 'remapping' is just them plugging a laptop in and uploading a preset map for the car.

Rides
    Even if it is a preset map, I'd still be happier if it went on a rolling road after to check everything was ok.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    I assume its a proper remap and not one of these w@nky plug in boxes that fooks with your fuelling?
    Mark is right.

Rides
    I thought about doing my Passat CC, but it's clocked 120k and already has 170bhp, not bothered too much about the fuel economy so I didn't bother

Plus it's some Bosch ECU you can't just remap as it'll go into lock down and stop the car working

Watfor(d), but now temp in Stutton, Zuffuk..., then temp in Armitage (Bog centre of the world)... then FINNNALY to Quarry Bonk, Brum!! puff puff.
    Rides
    Is this thread still even breathing?!?

I don't normally follow sports goods branding 'puff', but 'Just Do It', you know your inner child's right...

R.

JAPOKYO! cos im made of special! (Nuneaton)
    Rides
    I say do it, but only because its something I keep considering doing with my 320d, but ive not pulled the trigger yet.
    200bhp and 400 Nm would be nice from the old girl though...
    Its gone!