Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buying new radiator hoses - How hard can it be ?

Rides
    General market had an electric fan on the air con condenser. It was to assist the engine fan when idling or in slow city traffic in hot climate. The tube that fits in that gap has a thermo switch in it.

Get a spare T and weld a cap on the small stub.

UK market doesn't need a fan as its never 40°C.

On the up side it is for a CA with oil cooler as JDM didn't have that.

Is the extra hose the carbon can outlet?

Rides
    Sorry if I'm being thick Peter but are you saying that most (Jap, US, Euro) S13s have a thermo switch there but UK models don't ?

Will check the carbon can outlet - I never thought of that.

Rides
    The supplier has been very good about it, I sent them a picture of the two side by side and they've said they are going to send out another one asap so watch this space.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Sorry if I'm being thick Peter but are you saying that most (Jap, US, Euro) S13s have a thermo switch there but UK models don't ?
    Yes, shown at bottom right in this.

Rides
    Quick update on this...

Winner Racing have made me a one piece lower hose and are sending it out to me.

I'll update the thread when it arrives.

Glad it wasn't urgent

Rides
    winner...

Rides
    They've now come back to me asking if I'd like to pay the cost of shipping for the replacement hose.

I'm resisting

9 weeks now since ordering...

Rides
    I'm After replacing all coolant hoses and can't find any kits for sale in UK

Rides
    Just avoid ash hoses i've had 2 new hoses fail on 2 different cars it seems they have to problem with the layers coming apart and wouldn't refund or replace.

Rides
    So whats the total cost of the replacement rad hose set??
    Cos I've butchered mine to **** anyway.

Not that the ****ing car will ever run anyway but it's nice to know

Rides
    My kit was bought off ebay from Winner Racing in China for 102 quid.

It is a 24-piece kit that was supposed to include the top and bottom rad hoses. It includes the small water pipes that run around the plenum, heater hoses, breather pipes, carbon canister breather pipes (but not the vac/boost feed pipes to the carbon can) auxiliary air feeds from the cold pipe to FICD, air regulator, AAC valves etc.

It took around 3 weeks to arrive and came from a UK address near Heathrow and there was no additional duty payable (that may have been luck or may be standard. I was expecting to have to pay a bit more for duty).

Everything looks to fit except for two aspects.

The first is that there is one hose that runs from the PCV to the inlet cam cover. It should be two hoses that run PCV --> T and T to inlet cam cover. Easily remedied with a stanley knife

The second is that the bottom rad hose arrived in two pieces. Its easy to turn one hose into two but more difficult to join two hoses into one, especially if you need to add around 20cm in the middle.
    The reason for this appears to be that some non-UK cars are fitted with an aircon fan that has a switch that sits in a metal tube that joins the two hoses together.
    UK cars don't have the fan so don't have the switch so don't have the metal tube.
    They have made me a single-run hose that is the same as the OEM hose for a UK car.
    I could have bought a metal tube of the right diameter, rolled or welded a lip on it, bought two mikalors clips and made do, but it would have cost money, would have looked shit and would have given me a point of failure I could do without.

Other than that, I have held each hose up against one on the engine and I'm pretty confident that they will fit (or can be made to fit with a little manipulation). I haven't at this stage (and probably won't) gone over the whole engine and replaced them. I'll just keep them as spares and replace as opportunity or need arises. 24 hoses for a ton looked like a better deal than 100 quid for a pair of rad hoses.

Provided they send the new hose to me, I'll be happy. Its been a bit of a ballache but as long as the folks at Winner Racing understand that all UK CA-engined S13s need the new pipe in the kit, it will have been worth it and I'd recommend the kit to others.... unless anyone tries to fit them for real before I get chance and tells me the pipes don't actually fit properly.

Rides
    So all the kits that show a long one piece bottom hose in the photo are 2 part?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    So all the kits that show a long one piece bottom hose in the photo are 2 part?
    I don't know. The kit that arrived had the top rad hose and the longer section of the bottom hose in one bag and the short section of the bottom hose in the big bag with all the other hoses.

This picture from Winner racing shows two pictures with the bottom picture showing the rad hoses as a 3-piece kit.

In the picture I bought from, its less obvious as the short section is centre of the picture and the main radiator hoses are across the top of the picture.

Rides
    So where are the 2 short large bore hoses from block to first T and between 1st and 2nd T? The 2 bits above the alternator.

If it doesn't have the short bits for the first T does it have oil cooler hoses?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    So where are the 2 short large bore hoses from block to first T and between 1st and 2nd T? The 2 bits above the alternator.

If it doesn't have the short bits for the first T does it have oil cooler hoses?
    Not sure what you are talking about with the first question so I will have to take a look at the car tonight and see if it makes more sense.

Second question... I don't think it includes oil cooler hoses nor turbo lines.