Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: idle control valve or plugs?

Rides
    Attt

Rides
    Bump the last video.. anyone know? Now narrowed down to possible coil pack issue or solenoid/actuator

Rides
    Bttt

Rides
    Bump

Rides
    ive got the same thing, sounds like a scooby at low revs, mine still drives fine it doesnt miss as much as yours, i changed plugs too didnt work and i have cleaned out the IACV no difference, i checked PCV valve and cleaned that out, seemed to have worked for about 1 minute, couple of times i have started it and its idled fine, i do have a split in the crankcase breather by the turbo but i took that off and temp fixed it doesnt seem to make any difference, still havent solved it but i need to get a new water pump in at the moment, seems to be worse when its warm, same for you? i wonder if it is the coil packs as heat has an effect on electrical resistance, but if i pull coils one at a time the idle changes as expected. i know this is no help but one of us will solve it lol, try taking off your PCV and cleaning it out check it rattles as it should and put it back it might have worked but it might have just been my mind playing tricks

also i disconnected the lambda and nothing changed so maybe it is that, if it was working would it idle differently if pulled???
    Last edited by anton87; 22-07-2014 at 14:42.

Rides
    i done a CEL test threw no codes, , cleared the ECU anyway made no difference, maybe do a CEL on yours and you might throw lambda code, would it throw that code if the lambda was giving a different to expected reading or would it only throw it if its failed completely? maybe lambda is going bad but still signalling ECU?

coils was my next plan, going to see if my pal has a set or a least a couple and try and narrow it down
    Last edited by anton87; 22-07-2014 at 14:48.

Rides
    just been having a google, come across a thread on DW that says if you disconnect the TPS it runs better, im going to try it when i go out in a bit, have a go aswell, that might be the issue, although i dont get how the sensor can effect idle

found another thread on here where someone said they went up to BKR8 plugs and it fixed it, i replaced mine with 7s, im on stock ecu and engine, is 8 to cold? will be my next port of call possibly

possible dirty injectors too, mine was off the road for a while before i got it so maybe some crap in the tank has got in there, going to chuck injector cleaner in aswell

came across another thread talking about injectors saying they were leaking and then fouling the plugs havent pulled mine since i changed them so will get round to that if a plug is fouled its surely injector issue
    Last edited by anton87; 22-07-2014 at 15:26.

Rides
    Well daym. You searched harder than I did mate lol.

The two things I think I've narrowed it down to are coil packs or boost leak/solenoid/actuator. I can't see it being injectors as they have been out in the past 6 months. As for the TPS I don't see how that'd affect it either but it's definitely worth a go!

I adjusted the screw on the inlet where the idle control valve sits. . The fluctuation is less often and not as fierce but still reoccurring. I will continue to drive it...

I will get it plugged in with cousins diagnostics next weeknd, if it still persists.. even after the boost controller is fitted I am pretty sure jez will find the problem on map day in September.

If it continues after that I'm going to ignore it lol

Rides
    its a strange problem, everywhere i find info about it the thread dies before its answered, was reading on someone revived from 6 years ago the other day!

Proper diag should solve this, hopefully, got to get mine plugged in

Rides
    Could be timing related

Rides
    yeah i need to get the timing checked, thats beyond my driveway mechanic skills lol, but it wasnt doing it when i got the car it just started one day, ive got to do my water pump and my pals got a blitz boost controller for me, once thats on ill go and get it looked at/mapped

Rides
    I don't think it's timing related... I mean the timing hasn't been touched.. so I can't see why all of a sudden this misfire or whatever it is should start.

I also have a kind of lag when I floor it from a stand still.. its intermittent so I think they are the same problem

Rides
    Knock sensor?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by redsx94! View Post
    Knock sensor?
    Would that show on a diagnostic kit?

Rides
    Should do, would definitely give a laggy feel.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by redsx94! View Post
    Should do, would definitely give a laggy feel.
    Just went for a drive on my lunch. . . DEFINITELY worse when the car is hot/warm. Started it up. . Starting spluttering almost instantly and felt horrible in 1st and 2nd gear. Massive lag till boost :S

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by anton87 View Post
    ive got the same thing, sounds like a scooby at low revs, mine still drives fine it doesnt miss as much as yours, i changed plugs too didnt work and i have cleaned out the IACV no difference, i checked PCV valve and cleaned that out, seemed to have worked for about 1 minute, couple of times i have started it and its idled fine, i do have a split in the crankcase breather by the turbo but i took that off and temp fixed it doesnt seem to make any difference, still havent solved it but i need to get a new water pump in at the moment, seems to be worse when its warm, same for you? i wonder if it is the coil packs as heat has an effect on electrical resistance, but if i pull coils one at a time the idle changes as expected. i know this is no help but one of us will solve it lol, try taking off your PCV and cleaning it out check it rattles as it should and put it back it might have worked but it might have just been my mind playing tricks

also i disconnected the lambda and nothing changed so maybe it is that, if it was working would it idle differently if pulled???
    I'm beginning to think more toward coil pack now... today I noticed how much worse it is when hot

Rides
    At my witts end with this car now. The problem has just exacerbated and I cannot for the life of me find out what the **** it is!

Can ANYONE help me? Lol sorry for the caps but it's just getting to me a little.

Tried a friends s14a coil packs.. the problem persisted. So its not them. Spark plugs are brand new.. took them out and checked them then cleaned em.

Maf sensor changed. Idle control valve cleaned. I have no idea how to do a boost leak test with my FMIC setup.

Could it be a boost leak of its misfiring on idle? I thought it was on vacuum on idle?

Anyone who can help.. info is appreciated if you need to know anything else or any videos...pleeeease just ask

Rant over

Rides
    have you checked the distance between electrodes of spark plugs?

Rides
    Yes, they are all set to 0.9 I believe.

I think they come out of the box preset