Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: idle control valve or plugs?

Rides
    I know lol, I literally have sorted or fixed one fault.. and another has occured instantly. For the past 6 months

Rides
    Could intercooler split pipe/crack cause this?

Rides
    I'm not sure if you've said you've done it yet or not, but if not: boost leak check!

I've had similar symptoms (though nowehere near as bad) for a while, leak checked last night and found a dirty great hole in my intercooler pipework.

Rides
    Dude check for boost leaks. With a big boost leak it will run lean on idle as it is working from vacuum and drawing extra unmeasured air in through the leak, and rich on boost as pressurised air is escaping. The lean on idle will explain your dodgy idle and the rich on boost will explain the flames!!

Always pays to check the obvious stuff first. With an S-body if it has any sort of problem check for boost leaks. They are notorious for them!! Unless its like a flat tyre or something lol

Rides
    Lol thanks guys I do appreciate the help.. I'm honestly shit at this.. I don't know how to do a boost leak check with my FMIC setup. . If I put a pic up of my engine bay will someone circle what I need to block off and where to connect the air/foot pump?

I have asked a few people on here but no response

Cheers

Ry

Rides
    Take the silicone joiner off the throttle body and stick a jam jar or something in it. Same for the other end on the turbo. Take the wastegate actuator line off the turbo and put your air pump in there (lots of duct tape required ) There should be a take off from the cold pipe to under the throttle body, block that off. And if you have a dump valve block all that stuff off. You will need a pump with a gauge so you can see if the pressure drops or if you have a mechanical boost gauge that should work. If you notice a drop in pressure then get some water with a bit of fairy liquid in it and put it on all the joints and see where it bubbles up. That's your leak(s). If there is no drop in pressure then reattach your dump valve and try again.

Rides
    Don't over pressurise it though. 1 bar (14.7psi) should do it!

Rides
    Ok thanks mate I'm off tomorrow daytime so I'll keep u posted!

Rides
    I used a bike pump. I had an old bike inner tube lying around so I cut the presta valve off and inserted this into a length of vacuum tube, cable-tied tightly to aid the seal. I then connected this vacuum tube to the hot-pipe take-off that normally goes to the boost controller. Voila, one boost leak tester.

For me, a jam jar lid worked for the cold pipe outlet, my wheel-nut tool for the idle pipework, and a tin of fly spray for the turbo outlet side. It's a bit of a faff disconnecting everything and trying to find appropriately sized bungs but its worth it. I couldn't even get any pressure up my system was so leaky, but I could trace the source from the sound of escaping air.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyboydave View Post
    I used a bike pump. I had an old bike inner tube lying around so I cut the presta valve off and inserted this into a length of vacuum tube, cable-tied tightly to aid the seal. I then connected this vacuum tube to the hot-pipe take-off that normally goes to the boost controller. Voila, one boost leak tester.

For me, a jam jar lid worked for the cold pipe outlet, my wheel-nut tool for the idle pipework, and a tin of fly spray for the turbo outlet side. It's a bit of a faff disconnecting everything and trying to find appropriately sized bungs but its worth it. I couldn't even get any pressure up my system was so leaky, but I could trace the source from the sound of escaping air.
    Actually this sounds like a very good idea buddy lol I'll let you guys know how I get on. Fingers crossed I find the bastard leak

Rides
    Still going ahead with the boost leak test however... went out in the car tonight and...

It decided it didn't want the problem anymore. Boosted fine, idled fine ran smooth as can be.

I can't for the life of me work out wtf it is

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pippin89 View Post
    Take the silicone joiner off the throttle body and stick a jam jar or something in it. Same for the other end on the turbo. Take the wastegate actuator line off the turbo and put your air pump in there (lots of duct tape required ) There should be a take off from the cold pipe to under the throttle body, block that off. And if you have a dump valve block all that stuff off. You will need a pump with a gauge so you can see if the pressure drops or if you have a mechanical boost gauge that should work. If you notice a drop in pressure then get some water with a bit of fairy liquid in it and put it on all the joints and see where it bubbles up. That's your leak(s). If there is no drop in pressure then reattach your dump valve and try again.
    I want to high five you uploadfromtaptalk1406818944236.jpg

Rides
    Chances are that's from where someone has screwed a splitter or undertray onto the bumper from underneath and gone into the pipework. Always pays to try the simple stuff first. Fingers crossed repairing that will solve your problems dude!!

Rides
    uploadfromtaptalk1406824108892.jpg
    Already done buddy. Problem solved

Rides
    Is that liquid metal for the fix? My hole looks bigger than that, was going to try some sort of liquid metal until I can get it welded up.

Rides
    PS, I'm pretty sure one of the first responses to this thread said try a boost leak check! It seems to solve almost all SX problems:- idling issues, over-fueling, corrosion, running out of petrol, wheels falling off...

Rides
    It's ally weld, I know someone did say boost leak but they didn't respond when I asked how to carry one out with my setup lol

Rides
    Enter the pip-meister! Lol. Glad you got it all sorted ry!! Fingers crossed you can enjoy her now!

Rides
    ive checked mine visually and sprayed soapy water on the joins, its going in next week for a water pump im going to get them to do a proper boost leak test, it wouldnt surprise me if its been that the whole time

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by anton87 View Post
    ive checked mine visually and sprayed soapy water on the joins, its going in next week for a water pump im going to get them to do a proper boost leak test, it wouldnt surprise me if its been that the whole time
    Did you take the front bumper off dude? That's how I found it