Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Opinions e46 m3

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    What sort of space do you need inside? Does it have to be a 4 seater?
    Really should be 4 seats.

Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Sub 10K you are really going to struggle to find anything that compares - the AMG Mercs arent as sporty by a long shot, the 350Z/S2K/911/XKR are considerably less practical, Maseratis and other exotics arent reliable and theres not a lot thats Japanese, thats money and actually fun. If you dont mind FWD there are a few good choices (Integra Type R, Focus ST, Renault Megane, Golfs etc.) but if youre looking for RWD the only real option I can think of is a Jag XJR or a different BMW
    I'm pretty much at the same conclusion.
    Looked at Mazza's last night and I'm just not that brave.
    350 was a strong contender until the 4 seat reality hit home.
    S2K is out for seats (and also had one so would like to try something different).
    I have had a DC5 and loved it and would definitely consider saving some money and going for a DC2 as i preferred that to the DC5.
    AMG's were on the shortlist but i think once i had gotten over the noise there wouldn't be a lot else left for me to enjoy.
    XKR doesnt really count as a 4 seater and i currently have an XFS so another marque would be good.

I did look at stretching the budget for a VXR8 last night but fuel would kill me so would need to be LPG.

The only other option was Audi RS*. Again fuel is going to hurt and i can only hope that the RS's drive better than the bog standard quattro's as my last drive in an Audi left me gobsmacked at how poor the driving sensation was (that was an 04 3.0D A4 i think)

Rides

THX Mark but i should have mentioned the 4 seat issue before posting.

Awesome but not going to give me the sensation i want lol.

Rides
    Do you still have your S14? Maybe try fitting some seats in the back again, and job's a good one?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    Do you still have your S14? Maybe try fitting some seats in the back again, and job's a good one?
    I certainly do but getting it mapped first would be required. Im not too sure it would be a sensible dai;ly though but would certainly fulfill the fun factor. Not entirely sure the parents would enjoy it when we go out and i do the driving though

Rides
    Audi S3 quattro. 4 seats 320bhp and all the traction you could ask for

:P

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ryry92 View Post
    Audi S3 quattro. 4 seats 320bhp and all the traction you could ask for

:P
    I can only see that they are around 265 and unfortunately i think a bit out of the 10K budget certainly bang on with the traction . No idea if they suffer the same understeery boring issues of the A4 though??

Lexus ISF would probably be top of the tree if they came down a bit in price.

Rides
    My bad I saw an Rs3 .. and they are probably outta the price range.. but those stats aren't bad !

uploadfromtaptalk1411484945761.jpg

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Zak, it sounds like you are looking for the same stuff as me

The IS-F is awesome but I dont think they will ever be much more than £15K, they feel special and are so rare that I think the value will stay in them. Fully agree about Audi RS/S cars but Ive been told the S6 is quite different and actually feels like the engine is between the front wheels and I know RS6's are about the 10K mark ......... much as I hate to say it you'll go a long way to find a better car than an XFS

thought about a Range Rover? I love mine, its obviously not fast but it does put a smile on your face, other than that Ive got Infiniti G35, BMW 6 series or maybe an Alpina of some variety?
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Evo X is starting to get close to that price range now

Rides
    yeh but the ride is awful

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chavbo View Post
    These are much more comfortable than the e46 equivalent.

Rides
    Thanks for all the replies.

Docwra - Have you ever driven an ISF as i have not so would be interested in your opinions if you have?
    I don't think a RR is for me.
    G35 is not one i have considered and a 6 series or Alpina is not striking the right chord for me.

EVO might be a possibility (anything after the 4 i like)
    I did consider the 335i so might still be a possibility (do they come with a manual?) EDIT - just looked at the link you posted lol
    Originally i wanted a 335D as once remapped it would probably be quicker than an E46 M3 but im just not sure abut the fun factor of a diesel (same issue as my XFS)

Thanks

Nath

Rides
    I bought an e90 335d recently, I never ever ever wanted to own a an auto in my lifetime let alone a diesel, now I don't think I'll ever buy a manual again.

I love it, it would kill an e46 m3 and a guy I was talking to the other day said he was beating evos and an e90 m3 on the 1/4 at pod. I think mine is quicker than my RB26 sx!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JulesS14200 View Post
    I bought an e90 335d recently, I never ever ever wanted to own a an auto in my lifetime let alone a diesel, now I don't think I'll ever buy a manual again.

I love it, it would kill an e46 m3 and a guy I was talking to the other day said he was beating evos and an e90 m3 on the 1/4 at pod. I think mine is quicker than my RB26 sx!
    I used to have a 535D and they certainly shift. I test drove a 335D and the box was not as good as mine in the XF in manual mode but seemed a bit more willing in auto mode.
    I'm just not sure its going to give me the same enjoyment as something like an M3. I think its probably a stretch to think they would beat an E90 M3 in a drag race though as power comes into play a lot more in drag racing than on the road where torque is king.
    Is yours remapped?

Rides
    Have you had a good drive of an E46 M3?

Certainly on track they're no doubt fun, but on the road I found them not to be exciting enough, due to the power delivery mostly, I was a little underwhelmed

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by redlinezak View Post
    Docwra - Have you ever driven an ISF as i have not so would be interested in your opinions if you have?
    Ive driven EVERYTHING man
    IS-F writeup is here: http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...ighlight=lexus, I dont know if I said it in that post but Id probably take one over an E92 M3 or an XFR.
    Id agree with Evilchap on the E46 M3 that while its awesome it can leave you a little cold day to day, GTR's fall into the same category. The 335/435's are a little soft for my taste but have great engines, people are probably sick of hearing it but Im a huge fan of the BMW 135 in its various guises too.

I was visiting Jules the other day and his (remapped) 335 is lovely, hes clearly chuffed with it too .......... but when its returning 50mpg and is faster than an RB26DETT S14 then you can see where he is coming from
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Ive driven EVERYTHING man
    IS-F writeup is here: http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...ighlight=lexus, I dont know if I said it in that post but Id probably take one over an E92 M3 or an XFR.
    Id agree with Evilchap on the E46 M3 that while its awesome it can leave you a little cold day to day, GTR's fall into the same category. The 335/435's are a little soft for my taste but have great engines, people are probably sick of hearing it but Im a huge fan of the BMW 135 in its various guises too.

I was visiting Jules the other day and his (remapped) 335 is lovely, hes clearly chuffed with it too .......... but when its returning 50mpg and is faster than an RB26DETT S14 then you can see where he is coming from

And probably owned most of it too lol.

I did think GTR earlier as i loved mine when i had it many moons ago but i dont think its right for right now.

I think i need to get myself a drive or at least passenger ride in a remapped 335D.

Will go read the ISF review now cheers bud. ---- EDIT i guess thats in the members section and my membership may have "ahem" lapsed.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    Have you had a good drive of an E46 M3?

Certainly on track they're no doubt fun, but on the road I found them not to be exciting enough, due to the power delivery mostly, I was a little underwhelmed
    Had a drive of a manual last weekend but not a 'good drive' and drove an SMG last year but hated the SMG so that would have tainted everything else i may have thought about the car.