Thread: Stripped thread

Rides

Stripped thread

Hi all, just a quick question the 2 front threads on the drivers side seat that hold the seat to the the floor have been stripped so I can't tighten the the bolts that hold the seat down,I guess the only option is to re-thread?? Does anyone know the size of the thread as I don't have a tap and die set and will just order the size I need. Thank you

Rides
    Heli-coil it.

EDIT:

Are you talking about the bolt to the chassis?!

1st: How the hell did you strip those.

2nd: 12mm (iirc)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Rides
    they're fairly easy to misalign the seat bolts and strip them, since they're fine thread.

they're m10x1.25

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=507978

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...t-mount-thread

my first S13 had one of them that wouldn't tighten, I got away with tapping it to coarse (m10x1.5) and that was enough to get the right amount of torque, probably wouldn't recommend it for safety etc etc.

iirc the front ones are a bit of a pain as they're captive. the other option is to go up to m12, I think there *should* be enough meat..
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    they're fairly easy to misalign the seat bolts and strip them, since they're fine thread.

they're m10x1.25

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=507978

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...t-mount-thread

my first S13 had one of them that wouldn't tighten, I got away with tapping it to coarse (m10x1.5) and that was enough to get the right amount of torque, probably wouldn't recommend it for safety etc etc.

iirc the front ones are a bit of a pain as they're captive. the other option is to go up to m12, I think there *should* be enough meat..
    They are captive.

Check the metal around the nut as (if the car has had a shunt or the seat has been mauled at some point) the metal that holds the nut can break away from the chassis and that's the usual cause of the cross-threading.

Rides
    Yeah been looking at the weld-nuts/ rivets nuts, has any1 used them??

Rides
    If you used an aviation style riv nut with a locator i think you'd get away with it why do you retap it to a m12 ?

Rides
    I almost had the same happen to me on my r32, easily done, as above the fine thread makes it easier to cross thread.

Best solution is to helicoil it, that will be as strong or stronger than factory. Cheap ebay m10 1.25 helicoil kit off ebay for £10 delivered. Access is really good to drill it and tap it.

Rides
    Thanks for your help.
    I'm also looking for a thread I saw a fue days ago, it was about used steering rack bushes and it had the Nissan part numbers on. I looked in the useful threads but I couldn't see it.
    Does any1 know what I'm on about.
    Cheers