Thread: techy router/modem stuff

Rides

techy router/modem stuff

OK -

History
    so I have an Asus N66U (router only) behind a old Billion wifi/router/modem. The Billion had DHCP switched off (and maybe some other setting I can't remember) so that it was acting as a Modem only. The Asus was handling login to the ISP and all traffic behind the modem. 2 desktops, 3 tablets, 6 laptops, TV, Blueray, 5 phones, NAS, Sonos and whatever else I could throw at it. The pair were incredibly stable not needing a reboot for over 18 months. (reason for setup was the Billion lost wifi on return from holiday about 18 months ago hence tuirning it into a modem only).

I have just upgraded to EE Fibre (i.e. fibre to Exchange and then copper wire to house) and got a bright box 2 (wifi/Router/Modem). And am trying to do the same - ie. set it up to just be a modem.

Firstly I don't quite fully understand why do I need a new router/modem as its still copper wire? Anyone one explain this? - Aha I think this is something to do with ADSL/VDSL
    I've turned off wifi, DHCP on the bright box and reset the IP address so it doesn't clash with the Asus - but I can't get internet.

Questions -
    is there something else I should be doing to the brightbox to make it into modem only?
    given there must be some reason I need a 'modem' can I still use the Asus to login to the ISP or is going Fibre now screwed that option?

anything else I can try before I spend ages on the phone to EE.

forgot to mention - Ideally I don't just want the Asus to be a configures as just a wireless access point as it has all gigabit lan ports whereas the Bright box only has 1 gigabit port.
    Last edited by sparkyhx; 20-04-2014 at 22:09.

Rides
    The technology is different, its VDSL rather than ADSL, your old modem probable wouldn't has supported it.

As off putting it into modem only mode im not sure. Quick google isnt really supportive either.