Thread: Inlet leak...:S

Rides

Inlet leak...:S

Not sure what the hell to make of this... started my car to leave work ;
    http://youtu.be/tZ6CWIjEuZU

the most disgusting loud screech started coming from the top of the inlet manifold...

I looked to see if any pipes had split or anything / fuel waa leaking.. nothing.

I revved the body it'd quieten then come back.. can anybody tell me what this is as I'm nervous to drive it now

Thanks

Ry

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Hi Ry

There are quite a few little breather pipes under the plenum, could be one of them.

Best way to find out is buy some carb cleaner and spray it around the area, when you hear the revs rise you've found your leak

Rides
    sounds like a vacume/air leak,need check all the vacume take off's or ports after the throttle body,there are 2 under the TB one is pre throttle plate
    so not under vacume with throttle closed the other is after the throttle plate and potentially him,
    or there's the vac hose for the fuel pressure regulator on the inlet plenum close to the FPR
    If they check out ok,it could be the inlet plenum gasket but he's a coated steel gasket and not known to fail tbh but could happen if its been disturbed
    recently,AAC idle valve has a paper gasket so could be him or the other vacume lines that run under the inlet plenum possibly
    maybe with it whistling it's head off grope around the hoses and listen for the whistle to quieten/change pitch and that's the culprit for the noise
    EDIT: and Dan beat me to it as I type like a stoned Sloth

Rides
    Hi dan, ok bud. Will it be ok to drive if it is a vacuum leak?

I was going to take the manifold off but I didn't want to unplug any of the sensors

Cheers

Ry

Rides
    Lol thanks bud I'm just popping to get carb cleaner then I'll post back

Rides
    http://youtu.be/kPivNGWKyCg had a bit of luck with carb cleaner.. toward the end of the video I think I hear it. But I can't see a damn thing.. I tried taking it off.. lost a bolt already lol

Not going so well

Rides

Sounds exactly the same as when I warped my lower inlet manifold.

Have you got the car hotter than usual lately?

There is a water way in the Lower inlet manifold that will warp the casting if it gets too hot.

It squeals until you apply any throttle. It'll be sucking in unmetered air so your car may run slightly lean. It's safe to drive normally but wants changing ASAP.
    Last edited by Sean-B; 15-04-2014 at 15:56.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-B View Post
    Sounds exactly the same as when I warped my lower inlet manifold.

Have you got the car hotter than usual lately?

There is a water way in the Lower inlet manifold that will warp the casting if it gets too hot.

It squeals until you apply any throttle. It'll be sucking in unmetered air so your car may run slightly lean. It's safe to drive normally but wants changing ASAP.
    Umm it's been driven as my daily for the past 8 months so not really any hotter than usual lol.

I hope it's not warped...I can't seem to find any hoses though. II wanted to take the inlet off completely ... is there a write up on how to or anything I should be careful of when doing so?

Cheers

Rides
    Bump. . .

Write up or anything guys?

Cheers

Rides
    Hey bud, not removed mine myself yet, but if your unsure about plugs etc grab some tie on tags and tag everything up, take photos etc. Its then a case of inlet pipe, fuel rail feed pipes etc.. Not a massive job if you take your time. Then when its off get a metal ruler and put it against the manifold upright to see if shes warped. If you aint got anything available take it to a machine shop, they can check it for you. Also I think coolant passes through the manifold, so if it does make sure you drain it first and have some available to replace it

Rides
    Thanks bud, is the coolant in the bottom half of the chamber? And in the top just air / f ? I didn't want to set any lights off on the dash if I unplugged a sensor lol

Rides
    Still no luck, leaving it sat up on the drive a better idea than driving it with the leak?

Cheers

Rides

It won't really affect it during normal driving off boost. It's not a huge job getting the plenums off. The water way is in the lower half. It doesn't leak out that much. The nuts are a little fiddly but nothing too hard.

I'd start by just taking the upper plenum off. Checking the gasket and maybe add a bit of hylomar to the faces.

I had the EXACT same noise and scenario as you though and as said it was a warped lower plenum.
    Last edited by Sean-B; 16-04-2014 at 13:47.

Rides
    Just disconnect the battery before stripping any sensors off be best bet

Rides
    Thanks guys, I'm going to see if I can some tubing / hosing to replace whatever has hopefully split.

If it is a warped manifold then it looks like it'll be an expensive month lol

Cheers

Sent from my high horse

Rides
    Leaks coming from inlet manifold gasket.. looks like it's had sealant of some sort on it! Fuc.kers!

Anyone know where I can pick up a new mani gasket asap?

Cheers

Rides
    Try Nissan if not i think apex performance stock them

Rides
    Got one coming from Nissan