Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It lives!

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides
    Just been for a drive in it! A whole 6 yards in reverse, out of the garage. Still feels immense though. I'll be grinning like an idiot for the rest of the evening. Beer o'clock!!
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    Forearms of justice.

Car sounds great!

Rides
    It sounds immense at the moment, but exhaust system is next...
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    I really want a v8 5 ....... Do mine for me ... Pleeeeeeeeeeease

Rides
    Joking aside, I am using this as a prototype for possibly putting together a kit of essentials.

Sent from my mind using wetwear....

Rides
    A bit of shameless thread revival, with another video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpVllIiR4Cs

Rides
    Sounds great - how is it running now?

Rides
    Yup, things are getting there. Engine runs very well, aside from a minor throw-oil-all-over-the-engine-bay issue. Biggest challenged are tyres and brakes. Fitted the biggest wilwood setup that would fit under the 15" wheels, but they came with some comedy pads which I destroyed by lunchtime. DS3000 on order now. I needs more rubber, especially at the back, but on a 15" rim, getting over a 225 is difficult / expensive (265/40WR15 for a mere £324 + vat each?)

Rides
    Does going up to a 16" rim make that much difference to the handling then? There has got to be more tyre availability at that size thanks to 90's/00's family hatchbacks

Rides
    13" FTW JN ;-) Kumho 235/45-13, proper rubber and will keep the gearing short ;-) choose medium or hard though, soft or super soft and itll be a 2 or 3 pairs per trackday!!

Rides
    I'd love to get a 13" rim on there. Had to change to a better brake setup though, so I'm stuck with 15" (11" rotors front and rear).

Which model Khumos are you running then?

Rides
    bigger brakes, pah! Middle pedals for the weak JN ;-)

seriously though, decent calipers and 268mm vented discs would fit under 13s and stop the V85 no worries. My Sabres 1060kg, 361hp CA18DET in it and went from 285mm with 4 pots and 17" rims to 13s with 260mm discs and the brakes are better now. The bigger discs are easier to snatch a brake (remember physics lesson with the spinning disc and where you grab it to slow it...). The main thing is that 13" rubber is generally much better handling on a small light car simply because you maintain some sidewall height and generally because the rubber is designed with competition in mind rather than 'da bling look innit'.

most of the sprinters on List 1B rubber use Avon ZZR or Kumho V70a (also known as V700 in some sizes). The extra grip on track will transform the handling, they are awesome, closest thing to proper slicks ive used.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-215-50...item20ed08e87d

heres the date sheet

shows the tread width, compounds and rolling radius, which is useful for gearing.
    http://kumhotyre.co.uk/wp-content/up...e-01032013.pdf

stay away from K12 or K22 compounds, as too soft (K22 is Formula 3 'wet' compound, K12 is much softer, really for 500kg bike engine cars for sprints only)

if you are going for 15", then 205/50-15 on the front and 225/50-15 rears is a great combination, really common in sprint/hillclimbing circles, used them a lot 2005-2008 in that size and most of the quick guys on 15s still use them. Only issue is 225/50-15 is quite a tall tyre so can alter the gearing a tad and as they are so square shouldered compared to a road tyre 225, you can get a bit of arch clearance issues. I have a knackered 225/50-15 in the shed if you want to pop it on a wheel to try for clearance?

also in 13", 20quid a corner gets you ex-circuit slicks, will be much more grip than any treaded tyre in the wet and damp, and cheap enough to consume on trackdays. A spare set of wheels with wets on and you will be shocked at the pace you can lap in the wet (does need a reasonable amount of water though, slicks are better in the damp by far).

Kelvin Burt in Northampton is a good source, 20 quid a tyre 200/45-13 (single seater fronts). BTW google Volvo 850 Kelvin Burt crash, always an amazing vid!!

Rides
    Sounds awesome and looks like it goes well - if I hadn't just rebuilt my engine with uprated odds and sods I would so be going down this route

Quote Originally Posted by jesus-ninja View Post
    I needs more rubber, especially at the back, but on a 15" rim, getting over a 225 is difficult / expensive (265/40WR15 for a mere £324 + vat each?)
    I'm surprised you are running out of grip - I'm OK with decent 205's on mine (Federal RSRs) in the dry, in the wet it gets a bit hairy though... Even the big big power race boys in the US only go to 235s from what I remember...

Rides
    Yeah, I toyed with the idea of it, but I'm too much of an endurance freak. I think I could get away with a good small brake setup for short stints (ie sprints), but for long sessions (I trend to star out until I need fuel or a wee!), I'm not sure it would stand up to the repeated abuse.

So, $1200 lighter for wilwood 4 pots up front and 11" discs around, I'm going to make them work for their money!

I think I'm going to try the cr500 on the back (245/40/R15)

Rides
    Just think what if it had a turbo..............

Rides
    Fully understand your reasoning.
    Re endurance, the calipers you have on a smaller disc wont be an issue with fade resistance, just need careful pad choice.

CR500 is a cracking tyre. Even though its rated as List 1A, it based on a more racey carcass than most road tyres and itll be much lighter than most list 1B semi slicks (R888, AO48Rs, Kumho V70s etc) as they are stuffed full of steel in the sidewalls and tread. CR500 was created for Caterham for the R500 iirc, so its designed for a lighter car, so keep an eye on the pressures to ensure you get an even tread temp. If the pressures raise too much, with it being based on a race carcass it will crown too much and it will wear the centre area of the tread badly. Yhe road based semi slicks have a stiffer tread (and sidewalls) so are more tolerant of over pressure

Good to have a bonkers JN proj back on sxoc though :-)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    Just think what if it had a turbo..............
    All in good time Packaging issues will probably push me toward a centrifugal supercharger though.

Brakes are almost there, DS3000s arrived to replace the pieces of Cadbury that the kit shipped with.

Then tyres and finish the aero. Once that package is stable, I'll go further with weight loss (lexan window kit arrived today )

Then start blowing.....

How's yours, by the way?

Rides
    Wheel ordered (15 x 8 and 15 x 9) and a pair of 245/40/R15

Rides
    Wheels re-ordered (these: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...&association=2 ) in 15 x 9

And these arrived.....

2014-11-04 17.35.26 (Medium).jpg