Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RMT leader Bob Crow has died

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Wasnt Bod Crow earning more than the PM lol
    Quite.

Airline pilots have to go through years of expensive training and have massive responsibility on their shoulders every time they get in the cockpit, its also a volatile industry. Train drivers, not so much.

And anyone earning £140K and living in Social Housing is taking the piss.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Tell that to the people of the Malaysian Airlines lost 777.

How many pilots have rescued a plane during a major systems failure compared with how many crashes have been caused by human error?
    Yep, but at least some have managed to rescue people after a system failure.

Like the geezer who landed in the hudsen river, using only emergancy backup power

or the bloke who managed to land this and only loose one person

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Yep, but at least some have managed to rescue people after a system failure.

Like the geezer who landed in the hudsen river, using only emergancy backup power

or the bloke who managed to land this and only loose one person

Stand corrected. Bankers have the future pensions of millions as their responsibility. Sure some make mistakes and some are crooks, but some do their job well and should be compensated at a fair market rate

Rides
    Stand corrected. Bankers have the future pensions of millions as their responsibility. Sure some make mistakes and some are crooks, but some do their job well and should be compensated at a fair market rate
    If a pilot can't save the lives of those on board then they don't need a pension.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    If a pilot can't save the lives of those on board then they don't need a pension.
    Harsh lol except their Widow / Widower would benefit from it if they were alone.

Rides
    But that depends on whether you can justify banking as an industry in itself anyway, since it's often argued it's not 'creating' anything.....

Anyway, Bob Crow - I would say RIP but since he couldn't have the good grace to say the same about Maggie T when she passed away he can go **** himself and I hope he rots in hell for being an arrogant, scrounging, power-grabbing scumbag lining his own pockets under the pretence of 'doing it for the members'.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    But that depends on whether you can justify banking as an industry in itself anyway, since it's often argued it's not 'creating' anything.....
    Unfortunately it is what our economy and pensions rely on

Quote Originally Posted by arry

Anyway, Bob Crow - I would say RIP but since he couldn't have the good grace to say the same about Maggie T when she passed away he can go **** himself and I hope he rots in hell for being an arrogant, scrounging, power-grabbing scumbag lining his own pockets under the pretence of 'doing it for the members'.
    Ironic that it was a tube not working that finally got hm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Unfortunately it is what our economy and pensions rely on
    But it wasn't always this way, and it wouldn't always need to be that way either. It's just the way it's become. It could just as well revert. But of course it won't, because those with the money won't let it. (Not saying I agree nor disagree; just pointing out the obviousness of the situation the collective 'we' are in when it comes to banking and its added 'value' to the UK....)

Rides
    I agree with you. Just don't see how us mere mortals can change it unless we all withdraw our money and stick it in the mattress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by *alansx* View Post
    I think if anyone asked much they were worth they would say a crzay amount, why are bankers or stockbrokers worth so much? not everyone is getting well paid for the job they do and in some cases there is a vast amount of difference in pay for the same job i'm on sub £30k but there is people that I work with do the exact same job as me are on £40k+ get Sundays paid for that's what I have a problem with why doesn't everyone that does the same job get the same pay? i'm sure if you worked as a shelf stacker there is a set amount per hour, that's what I would like to see introduced.
    Shelf stacking isn't a typical profession though, is it ? There is a certain basic skill in stacking shelves but most people would be able to do it and within an hour would have mastered the art.

Being a quant requires you to understand things like why one part of the area under a fat-tailed bell curve derived using a monte carlo simulation will give you a strong indication of the future cashflows on an IR swap.

So who should get paid more, a Quant or a shelf-stacker ?

Even if you set a fixed pay rate per job, I would argue its not fair.

If everyone who did a particular job got paid the same amount then someone who was good at their job would get paid the same as someone who was shit at their job. Same for someone who knows their job inside out and backwards vs a noob trainee.

So where is the incentive to learn, get better, add value ?

Its also not just about how much you get paid. Its about how you spend it and how you live. Some people manage very nicely on £40K, others struggle to keep their heads above water on 40K.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Dickens
    "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen [pounds] nineteen [shillings] and six [pence], result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by asht_200 View Post

ironic that it was a tube not working that finally got hm

:d:d:d

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Shelf stacking isn't a typical profession though, is it ? There is a certain basic skill in stacking shelves but most people would be able to do it and within an hour would have mastered the art.

Being a quant requires you to understand things like why one part of the area under a fat-tailed bell curve derived using a monte carlo simulation will give you a strong indication of the future cashflows on an IR swap.

So who should get paid more, a Quant or a shelf-stacker ?

Even if you set a fixed pay rate per job, I would argue its not fair.

If everyone who did a particular job got paid the same amount then someone who was good at their job would get paid the same as someone who was shit at their job. Same for someone who knows their job inside out and backwards vs a noob trainee.

So where is the incentive to learn, get better, add value ?

Its also not just about how much you get paid. Its about how you spend it and how you live. Some people manage very nicely on £40K, others struggle to keep their heads above water on 40K.
    Go to Cuba. With the tips they receive, Waiters are better paid than doctors

Rides
    Go to Cuba. With the tips they receive, Waiters are better paid than doctors
    All the Doctors got free education and training and until recently, when Cuba opened its doors to tourism, the waiters were as badly paid as the Doctors. Now its a failing state that will go the same way as Russia in that you will have a few oligarchs and the remainder will be poverty-stricken masses.

Cuba is a failing state for three main reasons :-

It has no resources that are of value to Capitalists - so the West wont trade with it and the US don't like having commies in their back yard so have refused to trade with it
    History - It was a pretty fcuked up mess when it became a communist state
    Its a communist state - so no one is incentivized to work hard so it needed propping up by the USSR who can't afford to do that any more. Its only hobbling along because Venezuela and some of the other left-leaning South American states are helping it keep chugging along in its death throes.

Rides
    Its a communist state - so no one is incentivized to work hard so it needed propping up by the USSR who can't afford to do that any more. Its only hobbling along because Venezuela and some of the other left-leaning South American states are helping it keep chugging along in its death throes.
    Bob Crow was a Communist

Rides
    Bob Crow was a fat c*nt
    Yup, proof that fatties die faster.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I woluld imagine flying a plane is a slight bit harder than driving a train plus there is far more scope for things to go very wrong. Trains just stop and go

I would say 60k was fine for a pilot, train drivers should be on around £25k IMO.
    Comparing a pilot to a train driver isn't a very good comparison. If being a train driver was so easy then everyone would do it. The wages they get paid are justified. As a driver myself the responsibility and concentration required are huge. There are a number of things that can go wrong daily that joe public wouldn't even think about, debry on the line, animals on the line, trespassers, poor weather - driving a train during autumn is like driving a car on ice. Considering during peak times you can have more than 500 people (more than a jumbo ) that the driver is responsible for, the shifts, the fact you get told your annual leave etc..

Its a sought after job. Over 2000 people applied for 12 positions with the company I'm with. And not all drivers are on £60k, not even Virgin Train drivers. I know I'm nowhere near it. I'm sure if everyone had a strong union behind them & were offered similar pay they would all turn it down

RIP Bob.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by scottish-sr View Post
    ...I'm sure if everyone had a strong union behind them & were offered similar pay they would all turn it down
    I'd sack my union off sharpish. No way am I taking a mahooosive paycut

Rides
    I think the biggest inhibitor to becoming a train driver isn't peoples ability but the closed nature of the industry and lack of available jobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    All the Doctors got free education and training and until recently, when Cuba opened its doors to tourism, the waiters were as badly paid as the Doctors. Now its a failing state that will go the same way as Russia in that you will have a few oligarchs and the remainder will be poverty-stricken masses.

Cuba is a failing state for three main reasons :-

It has no resources that are of value to Capitalists - so the West wont trade with it and the US don't like having commies in their back yard so have refused to trade with it
    History - It was a pretty fcuked up mess when it became a communist state
    Yup true.

Although:

Sun, rum, cigars, boxing, classical music, national past-time sex.

No billboards, no advertising, no hustling, no anti depressants.

My kind of spot. Shame. Would have been great if it worked out... well they gave it a go.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LED sandwich View Post
    I think the biggest inhibitor to becoming a train driver isn't peoples ability but the closed nature of the industry and lack of available jobs.
    Not really true. I see external vacancies up every week, ok not always for driver but grades where you get a foot in the door. I went from part time ticket checker to driver in 3 years.
    There was just approx 80-100 drivers taken on and I would say around half were external. Many people just see the wage and think "I could do that," not realising how challenging the job is, one mistake and you're out etc.
    The driving role usually comes around every 3 years or so and thats just to cover people retiring/expansion.
    Most people go to the railway as a stop gap but once there for 6 months you're there for life.