Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: and, it continues! with ruby

Rides

neilf's/jonny's/ronster's/now mine; RUBY :)

so, after a short handed decision, i went for good ol' ruby!
    flew out of dublin at 8:15 sunday morning and landed in stansted for 9:30 where i met ronster driving ruby.
    about 2 hours later we were headed for holyhead... so yeah thats the story in a nutshell haha

320 miles from ronster's to holyhead and as expected; she didnt miss a beat ha. infact, she fixed a few things herself along the way lol... the speedo was moody till about oxford, then it just worked fine all the way from oxford to my house... the aerial which didnt budge leaving ronster's and which annoyed me greatly as i cant drive without some form of entertainment, got some WD40 in the esso down the road, gave it a blast and forced the aerial up, it went "click, bang" and has been working fine since, going up and down as it should haha. so clearly, this car loves me lol. stopped for fuel twice on the way (not filling every time, more for toilet and food etc lol) and came out with about 360 miles to a tank. so thats perfectly normal. coming up to holyhead she started to drop a plug on boost, so will change them today and have a looksy how she feels then.

some thread history ref's:
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...early-18-years
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...car&highlight=

anyways, pics ha. not alot of them, but you get the idea for now ha.
    on route to holyhead at bangor.

Last edited by Neelie; 12-03-2014 at 16:18.
    "If you don't fight for something, you'll fall for anything" - The Wise Man

Rides
    LOL! I had that same problem many many years ago with the aerial! And I remember doing exactly the same thing

Please do post a picture every now and then or just an update!

Christ I miss that car! Always thought she was a very pretty car, and had a nice not too over the top exhaust note!

Rides
    ^^ ah she's just trying her luck haha, doesnt work with me, any shenanigans by her; ill take on ha.

oh of course, she'll be staying on sxoc and im sure a few "wtf..?" threads will follow ha.
    these cars always come up with innovative, hilariously weird and random problems. never a dull moment.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Neelie View Post
    ^^ ah she's just trying her luck haha, doesnt work with me, any shenanigans by her; ill take on ha.

oh of course, she'll be staying on sxoc and im sure a few "wtf..?" threads will follow ha.
    these cars always come up with innovative, hilariously weird and random problems. never a dull moment.
    Used to love the 3-5500rpm raring to go feel she had - Beautiful little turbo whistle and then a seemingly effortless push...

Hope you enjoy the old lass. Take good care of her

Rides
    she sounds great indeed. they are not fast cars, but they make it feel like they are ha.
    i most definitely will neil, dont worry those 300 odd miles were the best in years

Rides
    Yay. Glad to see she's gone to a good home

Rides
    did some small stuff today.
    started by dumping the fouled plugs. got some new NGK plugs for her, and now running much better

then, i had a hunch to check the interior seams for rust and to re-seal them.
    so stripped out the interior in the back, and will paint/sand tomorrow. one small spot needs attention:

and also took the spoiler off as it was hanging on 2 bolts and not safe.
    had water in the boot and i suspected the rear lights first (common problem) but it
    turned out to be the bootlid having a mahooooosive hole problem LOL
    so yeah, new boot lid haha/ will tape up the holes to avoid further water pools.

ANNNDDD, made adapters for the rear speakers which are new edge.
    fronts will follow when i do the front section of the car ha.

anyways, a productive first day of ownership LOL

Rides
    Excellent to see this has gone to someone who's going to give it some good attention!

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses

Rides
    thanks steve. im hoping to get her to super road car standard with some nice touches but not in your face.
    set of nice alloys and the paint correction is probably gonna be the only exterior touches...
    Last edited by Neelie; 03-03-2014 at 19:33.

Rides
    They're NGKs 7 you've taken out and they've only been in there about 4K miles Did you replace them with 6s ? It might be an idea if the 7s are fouling.

The boot lid doesn't look as bad as I thought it would, TBH. There are only two relatively small holes so you may be best to get it welded by someone who knows how to weld an S13 boot lid (i.e. very slowly and patiently preferably with a TIG welder) so it doesn't get hot and warp. I think you'll struggle to find many better lids

I hope you appreciate how clean it is under the carpets ! Lol. It took me 4 days to get it properly clean

If you decide to replace the seats, could you keep back the plastic caps that fit at the back of the rails and send them to AlanJuggler ? He's been hunting some for ages.

In case Ronnie forgot to mention it, one of the wheels has an odd size wheel nut on it so you need to carry two sockets in case you need to change a tyre. One of the things I inherited from Neil that I didn't get around to fixing. I hope Ronnie gave you the big green box with all the paperwork in

And lastly, I've still got the pack that holds the jack handle and the tools. Ronnie was supposed to collect them from me when I found them but he never did. If you want them, PM me your address and I'll send them on.
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 03-03-2014 at 19:27.

Rides
    hey jonny!
    yeah i used 6's as i thought the 7's were why they were fouled so badly.
    no need for 7's if its not a stage2 +

haha well i was prepared for the bootlid alright. might fix it, but will have another gander around for one.
    for now ill just sand it clean, spray it to stop it spreading and just tape it up to make it waterproof....
    you never know what stiv has in his yard haha. she's going to him next week for a spa wellness weekend ha.

i do appreciate the cleanliness ha. i can see she was loved and minded! usually i fnd horrible stuff under the
    seats but here the only thing under the carpets was weird funny sticky glue that nissan used in 1991 and
    that has now turned to a sort of vaseline consistency haha. should be fun to get off ha.

yeah i got the folder alright ha. gonna take a rainy day to go through it and sort it all out haha. always
    use a category system for receipts, anything that servicing, aftermarket, misc parts... keeps a good overview.
    btw do you know anything about the tbelt situation?

ha thanks for the tip, i have a socket set at the ready anyways
    naaa you fine jonny, i wont need it ha.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Neelie View Post
    hey jonny!
    yeah i used 6's as i thought the 7's were why they were fouled so badly.
    no need for 7's if its not a stage2 +

haha well i was prepared for the bootlid alright. might fix it, but will have another gander around for one.
    for now ill just sand it clean, spray it to stop it spreading and just tape it up to make it waterproof....
    you never know what stiv has in his yard haha. she's going to him next week for a spa wellness weekend ha.

i do appreciate the cleanliness ha. i can see she was loved and minded! usually i fnd horrible stuff under the
    seats but here the only thing under the carpets was weird funny sticky glue that nissan used in 1991 and
    that has now turned to a sort of vaseline consistency haha. should be fun to get off ha.

yeah i got the folder alright ha. gonna take a rainy day to go through it and sort it all out haha. always
    use a category system for receipts, anything that servicing, aftermarket, misc parts... keeps a good overview.
    btw do you know anything about the tbelt situation?

ha thanks for the tip, i have a socket set at the ready anyways
    naaa you fine jonny, i wont need it ha.
    Receipts will already be sorted as described and in date order unless Ronnie shuffled them (My OCD strikes again )

Regards the cambelt... I can't remember. I'm sure its not due yet as I have a spare Gates kit in my loft and I would have used it if it was needed. It will be in the paperwork.

Rides
    cool ill route through it all so haha.
    well it looked tidy alright, but i fumbled through it sunday at ronnie's house ha, so think i messed up the folder lol.
    plus i have my own system and my ocd strikes also. :-p

Rides
    Congrats Eileen, the result of a lot of patience I know. You must have some serious burns on your thigh where that cash was sitting in your pocket for so long

Knowing your previous cars, I know Ruby will have a brilliant life with you. Well wear missus, Can't wait to see her

Rides
    Thanks! Haha Clint, I had a few weak moments where I nearly bought Hondas...
    Thank god I saw the light though and beared the burning ha.
    I'll try my best for her, like I do with all my cars can't wait to get everything
    sorted and sit back and enjoy her.

Rides
    I'm glad she's getting the care she deserves

Guess that rust isn't too bad considering age? She did spend about ten years properly garaged every night, until the garage got converted, so she had to sleep outside.

Rides
    i was considering a ramp to the patio double doors and driving it into the living room haha
    na neil she's in great nick for the age. all the electrics work as they should which is big for
    a car of its age and country of origin lol.

i wanna try and get the interior boot sprayed up and put the rear back panels and speakers in again.
    and of course the bootlid sanded, sealed and taped up. hope it will look ok as a temporary solution.
    need to sort the seats and carpet dye today, and lots of other stuff i gotta do today ha. love the way
    the day has not enough hours in it when you own an s13 ha.

Rides
    so got bootlid done today, as a temp solution...:

and all done:

also got the speakers fitted and the interior from the struts back, back in
    sprayed the boot floor and treated against future rust also. so thats all black and pretty now.
    pics of that soon!

speakers sound great for what they are. tiny little 3" (iirc) Edge 120 watts.

and getting these off gaswizard
    these will sort the temperamental speedo, although it is working now since my ownership ha.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Neelie; 04-03-2014 at 18:40.

Rides
    Best of luck with it,love that colour

Rides
    Great little car that, glad its got a new home

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...