Thread: Spraying skirts with rattle cans??

Rides

Spraying skirts with rattle cans??

Need a bit of advice.... I have painted rocker covers and brakes in the past with good results, but never bodywork.

I have 2 x new fiberglass side skirts that i would like to have a crack at painting myself.

I saw this and wondered if it would suffice to get a good finish:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-Ful...item337c987fa9

Or would i have to use a compressor with proper paint?

If you have done something yourself (bodywork) with rattle cans, please post a pic if you have one.

Cheers

Rides
    You know when you see something cheap and you think.. oooh that's nice and cheap.. but I'm not buying it. Yea I feel that way about paint.

If it's cheap try to steer clear.. a cheap spray job fair enough.. but £25 rattle can well - you get what you pay for.

I'm sure it'd come out ok.. but if you have a fine attention to detail like me you'd tell it's not blending / matching well.

Ry

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I'd probably have a go at painting spats or smaller trim parts but skirts are quite large and a poor job will be quite obvious i'd of thought. Get it done properly
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    I'd probably have a go at painting spats or smaller trim parts but skirts are quite large and a poor job will be quite obvious i'd of thought. Get it done properly
    That's the thing..... when it comes to small items i have gotten a seriously good finish using rattle cans.... thats why i'm tempted to DIY.

Obviously i wouldnt even entertain the thought for something like a bonnet/wing/boot etc with a can..... but skirts, im tempted!

Maybe i should just fire the compressor up and stop being lazy!

Rides
    I reckon its possible dude...i got a perfect finish using rattle cans on my fibreglass spats!

But its up to you...compressor would be easier and quicker...

before:

and after cutting back the lacquer:

Rides
    Bloody hell thats a great result. Fair play man!

Rides
    YannG that's a job well done! As that man has proved it is possible to get a good result with rattle cans, it is ALL in the flatting and polishing. If it is just a pair of skirts then go for it. As long as you lay enough paint on whether it be base coat or lacquer you can always flat back and polish. I usually flat the base coat with 3000 grit first before lacquer. Then use a 3000 grit to flat the lacquer before polishing with cutting compound/ T-cut by hand. A bit of elbow grease never goes amiss!
    When flatting use plenty of water with a drop of washing up liquid in it and have clean cloths at hand. Flat the paint then wipe with a clean ,dry cloth and you will see how much more you need to do- the glossy bits need more work. It's better to take off too little than too much. Like anything-practice makes perfect.
    Oh, and if using rattle cans outdoors/ in a garage it is good to have a source of heat at hand i.e lamp/hair dryer/hot air gun as it makes job easier and quicker! apply heat before and after spraying.
    hope this helps!
    Last edited by deeman; 10-04-2014 at 01:24.

Rides
    well I did a good job of my bumper with rattle cans so it can be done!

that was it before

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Rides
    You can get a reasonable finish with rattle cans, but the clear coat won't stand up to time as well as 2k clearcoat. If you plan on keeping the car for a while, then I'd use a quality 2K, if it's just a drift spec car thats gonna get thrashed and abused, I would just rattle can it.