Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: home made fiberglass panels

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dukey View Post

that's what the underside looked like before I put the holes in it. plus the raised section in the centre adds strength along with the raised front vents.

have also thought of where I want the catches and have added Kevlar layers and also along the vent folds and roving fibre tape around the edge of the whole thing to keep it together better and on other less worrisome sections.
    Looks like you are ahead of me then Nice one

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ratgreen View Post
    Looking good! Bit too many vents for my liking but I can appreciate the work put into it.

Have you considered making a mould of a OEM bonnet and making your own lightweight version. Im going to give it a go sometime in the future.
    could make a plain one very easily compared to that and all the vents on this one are strategic also the bulge is to clear the new engine.
    if you want any tips (not that im an expert) give me a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Looks like you are ahead of me then Nice one
    cheers Jonny.

started out as a small project and now im attempting silly things like doors and even got an old bucket seat mould to restore and make a seat out of diolen and glass fibre.
    you planning something like this are you?

Rides
    Too many types of vent for me personally but still a cracking effort Dukey.

Ratgreen, You get anywhere with the rear diffuser?

Rides
    for aesthetics reasons im not a massive fan, but for function I think I went the right route. gonna have a angle mounted rad and ducting for the front 2 vents and allow some to run over the engine and out the rear vents on the raised section. the xkr vents will be directly above the custom headers and will keep temps down around them. and the other silly vent will be directly in front of the filter along with other ducting. well that's the plan anyway..

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JulesS14200 View Post
    Too many types of vent for me personally but still a cracking effort Dukey.

Ratgreen, You get anywhere with the rear diffuser?
    Not really, Ive almost finished off smoothing the bumper/removing the plastic, but until I finish the car and get it out the garage (hopefully this weekend) its on hold.

Rides
    Yay, more updates

My front wings are starting to rust...Maybe it's time to start "attempting" to make my own!

Rides
    Don't know if I'd fancy trying a wing yet.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    My area manager at work offered to help me make wider wings for the from of my sx until I told him how much I could buy them for off the shelf.

Massive respect to you mate, I'm shocking with fibreglass.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    oh the wings are deffo a thing to buy at the price they are. but doors and bonnets seem to be a lot higher priced. got my carbon boot for a good price so happy with that one.

I am no good with the crap Halfords stuff and the putties. this is a different type of thing entirely really. need to get a move on with this car and stop all this custom stuff..lol

Rides
    had another play this time with diolen and fiberglass.
    still needs finishing and didn't like going to the contours of the mould but will look good finished.

also rested the bonnet and bumper wing etc up to have an idea what it would look like.

I think it will suit the kit well.

cheers.

dukey