Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My S13 project.

Rides
    wow, very tidy work its one of those cases though where i think the pics dont do the car justice
    love your cage!
    "If you don't fight for something, you'll fall for anything" - The Wise Man

Rides
    Thanks, yes your right about the pictures, my driveway is so tight I can't get a decent picture. Will get some better shots when she's on the road next month. Thanks man.

Rides

My S13 project.

Update time . Got the car road legal last weekend, been driving it all week. I've found a few faults with it. First of all the clutch is slipping when it comes on boost, I know that the flywheel needs a skim but I was in a rush to chuck the engine in the day before I moved to my new house. The lifters still haven't bled so I'll have to do this soon and as expected the alignments way out so I need to book it in soon. Any way I made up a stereo blanking plate for a switch panel and gave it a clean. Took some mandatory pictures too.

Rides
    The car looks fantastic. Im not keen on the spoiler though without the rest of the bodykit. Each to their own though.

Rides
    Cheers man, the rest of the body kit will come at a later date, just need to plough money on getting it round the track

Rides
    A little update,
    Spent 11 hours on my back swapping the flywheel last weekend which was a lot longer than it should have been. Got the flywheel skimmed in work before I fitted it and cleaned up the clutch. The reason I swapped it was because the old flywheel I fitted in a rush was rusty, I though this is why my clutch was slipping but I was wrong. After fitting it all I went for a test drive, it seemed to hold for a lot longer through the Rev range but started to slip under heavy acceleration . The slave cylinder needs bleeding but I doubt that's the culprit.
    Anyway picked up a new diff last weekend from a couple of sound guys down Pembrey. So I'm fitting it this weekend, I have removed the backplate to clean it out.
    What do people use as sealant for the backplate?

Rides
    Fitted my new diff on Saturday and I think there's something wrong with it. I swear sometimes I feel this project is going backwards and I'm wasting lots of cash in the process . I'm booked in to Indigo gt on Friday for a full alignment setup so hopefully it'll be good news once it's finished, fingers crossed.

Rides
    Keep cracking on bud, will be worth it in the end!

Rides
    Thank you, steering setup tomorrow so hopefully something positive will come from all the hard work put in underneath

Rides
    Little bit of an update, finally managed to use the car for what I built it for. Did the drift weekend at Pembrey last month, had an amazing time and really enjoyed it. Drove car there and back and only blew the turbo to manifold gasket . Some pics thanks to blacktop photography

Rides
    Update.
    Bought a double din head unit off my boss as it was just sat there and he only wanted £50 for it. Fitted yesterday.
    Bought some wheels too. 17x9.5 et-19, most of you will have guessed the rims just by the size but they are rota rbx in gun metal.
    Test fitted

Definitely going to need some arch work.
    Thinking of buying some magic aero Jun style arches as I love that retro look.
    Won't be fitted until the new year though

Rides
    My word, they are fat wheels.

Rides
    Ha ha thanks dude, can't wait until they're on there properly

Rides
    So, looking like I'm going to need an engine rebuild. Should have been a few hours of work to replace some noisy lifters with some I had refurbished using the guide on here. Instead I have spent an entire weekend trying to time the engine and get it running correctly. I have followed every guide online and the one in the service manual.

Engine is now running on 2 cylinders, I think the valves aren't seating or something as there is no compression. I Doubt I've bent a valve as the engine span over easily by hand. So gutted !.

I refurbished 14 lifters as 2 were bad. Originally I fitted 8 to the inlet side but after refitting the timing belt it ran on 3 cylinders. I took the cam out again and swapped out cylinder 1 lifters with 2 others I had refurbished and refitted everything. Now its running on two cylinders.

Do I go for a complete rebuild at around £1500 or just sell the lot. Fuming!

On the plus side I now have tyres for the wheels and some Jun type arches to fit. But I have lost a lot of inspiration this weekend.
    I did also order a BGW but it has a fault with it so that's annoyed me too

Nothing is going smoothly and I don't understand where I've gone wrong. It was running perfectly before I swapped out the lifters.
    Last edited by filthy animal; 04-01-2015 at 16:55.

Rides
    It might be that the lifters are holding the valves open as they haven't had time to compress. Try testing the compression in the morning.

Rides
    Will do, I was thinking that earlier as I remember you said to leave it over night.
    If not I'll strip the head off to check the valves. If it's broken I'm doing an engine swap

Rides
    the only thing i could think of is the lifters for what ever reason are keeping the valves open hence why you got no compression or the timing is mega out, did you turn it over by hand before you stared it? (this is something I always do after I have any cambelt off just to be sure it turns over freely)

Rides
    Ye turned it over by hand a few times with plugs in, only felt compression but I removed the plugs to be sure and it turned freely

Rides
    well if thats the case mate you cant have done any damage, all you can do is strip it down again and report back, it sucks when things dont go to plan and to be honest i have had my fair share of set backs with mine and felt like you do now, so my advice to you chin up and get on with it mate it will be worth it in the end

Rides
    Cheers dude I'll keep at it.