Page 61 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 2110

Thread: I want to get a bike license

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer_foxwell View Post
    That's a pain in the arse having to go so far for servicing :/ Does it have to be done by Aprilia?
    If it was a simple commuter inline four then I'd say no but its basically a wsb v four that's a bastid to work on allegedly

Rides
    Wow, that's pretty special then - I thought my trip to Ongar or Maidstone for Triumph servicing was bad..... well it is bad, but that's what I have a deek for

Rides
    So, I finally did a bit of a tour - with Deek, after he'd finished fixing my bike We headed off for a long weekend in Brecon Beacons.

Needed to take more stuff than the panniers on the sprint can manage. Ended up buying a Held roll-top bag and for £30 it is pretty good for the money It swallows loads of stuff and worked out fairly easy to attach in the end.

The Sprint had to take the majority of the luggage as deek decided to take an R1 on tour Had to make fancy little heat-shields to stop the exhausts melting the soft panniers

Mountain Road was epic, but much better suited to the R1 than the Sprint - which felt like a whale

But it did look nice, and carry our water proofs etc

It was so hot, deek melted and just left his leathers behind

[/quote]

Rides
    ^^^^ Sfunny. lol.

Rides
    So, two weeks after riding all the way over to Hemel Hempstead to get the Aprilia its 6000 mile service, I get a flashing spanner appear on the dash.

Gave them a call and...

That will be the service light. You need to bring it in for a service.

I just did...two weeks ago.

Oh, we must have forgotten to reset it. Drop it in to us and we'll reset it then it won't appear for another 10K km.

160 miles to get the light reset. Is there an alternative ?

Well get back to you...

Turns out its not supposed to get a 6K mile service but a 10K km service (i.e. 6253 miles) so the flashing spanner didn't appear so they forgot to reset it

Rides
    Is there a way of using your ign key to reset it ?

Rides

Rides
    Turn on the key, but do not start the engine. Go into the menu and find diagnostics. Select this and then enter code 12412. This will allow you to clear faults and reset warning lights.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by clai cerrig View Post
    Turn on the key, but do not start the engine. Go into the menu and find diagnostics. Select this and then enter code 12412. This will allow you to clear faults and reset warning lights.
    Cheers Dave. They rang me back and said the same thing. I'll give it a go when I get home and call them if I can't find my way.

Trouble is I'm so old I don't think to search the internet for stuff like that, I just use it to moan lol

Rides
    Muppets lol.

Sorted?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Muppets lol.

Sorted?
    Just come in from fixing it now. A little bit worrying that you can reset a lot of stuff once you have that generally available 5 digit code on the internet but it certainly worked to my advantage this time.

I also fixed the time while I was in there as it seems to gain about a minute a week probably in some humorous Italian attempt to avoid being late

Just need a new rear tyre now as the current one has gone a bit square and doesn't feel nice anymore. The trouble is that the tightwad in me says there is still tons of tread on it and as the tax runs out at the end of this month and I have two busy weekends coming up where I won't get to ride the bike so do I just wait until next year ?

Trouble then will be that I will be breaking in a new tyre when grip is limited by the cold and slimy roads and my general rustiness/cackhandedness with the throttle.

So, do I stick a new tyre on it 1st week in September and tax it for 6 months when I'm only going to ride it for one or two months at best ?

What do you think ?

Rides
    I think you squared the tyre off going to get it serviced lol

if it were me mate I'd keep it OTR as pound to a penny says the day it comes off you'll wind up with a spare afternoon and the sun shining down on you - and then you'll be pissed

Rides
    Yeah, too much riding in a straight line ! can you get a refund on bike tax ?

Rides
    Not sure, but can't see why not?

Rides
    Just ride it all year !!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
    Just ride it all year !!!
    I did that for the first 30 years of my riding career including riding into London in the snow as I had no realistic alternative but, nowadays, I choose to be a fair weather commuter because my bones don't like getting cold and I feel the cold too much now. TBH, my knees are suffering even in the Summer now

Rides
    Get something with a slightly more relaxed riding position. Goldwing?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_melon View Post
    Get something with a slightly more relaxed riding position. Goldwing?
    Funny you should say that as I was thinking of trading it in next year for a Suzuki GT550 circa 1976. I had a T500 twin in the 70s but always hankered after the bigger 550 with an extra cylinder. A 2-stroke triple sounds like no other bike on this earth. Ring-a-ding-ding-ding

I know its a little dangerous to revisit these things and it might spoil a memory but I think it might be quite nice to have to ride something that you can't take liberties with and that will make you work to break a speed limit

Its hard to think of what to get of the same ilk to replace the RSV as its so extreme there isn't really a "next level" to go to that wouldn't be completely unrideable.

Rides
    Have been looking at doing something like this lately....

Rides
    I quite like the Hondas but what is the engine in them ? Looks like an air-cooled twin around 500cc from late 90s early 2000s but I can't think what its out of

CB500F is watercooled, the new 700 just looks different, CB400N is too old...The older CB500S is aircooled but doesn't look modern enough...CR450 doesn't look right...
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 12-08-2014 at 09:26.