Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Seriously Mint S13 project 34k

Rides
    Gutted to here aarron. Car was awsome when I saw it. Glad you both came out unharmed. Metal can be replaced

Rides
    Still not too sure, ive been too busy since the weekender to do anything. its fine from the bulkhead back but a space frame is mental work, i think ill sell off the big bits and decide what im gonna do with the shell. Seems a real shame but repair quotes were huge

And yeah the biggest thing was kev and i were ok, just a real shame. Ill be back in this or something soon enough i think.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    I'm surprised you got anyone to quote at all. Getting the required parts (even from Nissan) is going to be hard for anyone that is not on here/Driftworks.

If you could source the bits, a strawberry face would be nice and (other than maybe the floorpan straightening, if it needs it), you could do it yourself

Rides
    strawberry face? I just asked about costs of the jigging work not pannels etc and it looked mega expencive

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LED sandwich View Post
    strawberry face? I just asked about costs of the jigging work not pannels etc and it looked mega expencive
    S15 front on an S13 = strawberry face

Not the best example but struggling with pics at work. You get the idea though.

...and a red one....

Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 22-10-2014 at 16:44.

Rides
    Why strawberry face though :/

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by liamjrhodes View Post
    Why strawberry face though :/
    Why is it called a Strawberry face ? Is that what you are asking ?

I could google it but I'm not going to. I'd guess the name given to s15s in Japan means strawberry like the Imprezas are bug-eye and hawkeye and stuff and the face is because its the front off an S15.

Just guessing...

Rides
    straight off zilvia

ichi = number 1
    go = number 5

ichi-go = 1-5

ichigo = strawberry (in japanese)

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Not sure how doing a front end conversion would help when the chassis is twisted?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    If you do repair it, please don't strawberry it, looks poo on s13's. Sil80 is the only thing I'd go for other than standard s13, although none of this matters as stated above if it's twisted.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Not sure how doing a front end conversion would help when the chassis is twisted?
    Pretty sure a front end conversion is most viable when the front end is feckered. He says its OK from the bulkhead back. If so, chassis rails and a new front end = win

Rides
    Sorry to see this happened to you mate. By the looks of how far that front end is shifted over, I wouldn't even contemplate anything to the front end without it going on a jig and getting it measured up to make sure the chassis legs are salvageable and the turrets haven't moved. If you're interested, I could get you a quote from my place to get it put on the jig and measured up, if you decide to try and sort it?

Rides
    Yeah a quote would be sweet, no need to check both legs are twisted and the turrets have moved. If they can be jigged back I can do the rest myself over time.

Rides
    I would have thought you'd be better taking inner wings, chassis legs and everything forward of the bulkhead from another car

Rides
    Yeah a quote would be sweet, no need to check both legs are twisted and the turrets have moved. If they can be jigged back I can do the rest myself over time.
    I'll Pm you a rough price next week some time mate
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    I would have thought you'd be better taking inner wings, chassis legs and everything forward of the bulkhead from another car
    It sounds easy to do that, but without a jig, lining all that stuff up accurately would take so much work and constant measurements, it would drive the average person mad! That's why people have jigs :P

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41288 View Post
    I'll Pm you a rough price next week some time mate

It sounds easy to do that, but without a jig, lining all that stuff up accurately would take so much work and constant measurements, it would drive the average person mad! That's why people have jigs :P

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Wasn't suggesting he avoid using a jig. Was suggesting he avoid trying to pull his current front end straight.

I think he should try to source a new S13 front end but was also suggesting that an S15 front end might be an idea if he found one of those first.

Buying a different front end and welding it up while on a jig is going to be easier as, in theory, it should line up. His current front end is NOT going to line up

However, as the saying goes, in theory there is no difference between theory and practice but, in practice, there is.

Would you agree that quite a bit of the cost is in the pulling straight rather than the jigging ?

Rides
    Wasn't suggesting he avoid using a jig. Was suggesting he avoid trying to pull his current front end straight.

I think he should try to source a new S13 front end but was also suggesting that an S15 front end might be an idea if he found one of those first.

Buying a different front end and welding it up while on a jig is going to be easier as, in theory, it should line up. His current front end is NOT going to line up

However, as the saying goes, in theory there is no difference between theory and practice but, in practice, there is.

Would you agree that quite a bit of the cost is in the pulling straight rather than the jigging ?
    It really depends on how far everything has moved. If it's only moved 6mm, it's probably easier to pull it straight as it's recommended that you get the measurement within 3mm.
    It isn't as simple as just cutting off the front and welding a new one on as I doubt it would pass an Mot due to it being a bit of a cut and shut. You would need to disassemble the front end panel by panel and the reassemble it in the same way. It would be a massive cost if you were paying someone else to do it though. That's why pulling the legs and turrets straight, if possible, is preferable, then you have a solid base to work from without the need for a jig.
    The costs depend on how far everything has moved, what state of assembly the car is in (bumpers, wings etc still on the car) and the condition of the metal (you can't use a 10 ton puller on rust :P). The pulling is just labour cost so the more you can do to reduce time spent taking stuff off, the cheaper it will be.
    Last edited by Mike41288; 25-10-2014 at 14:38.

Rides
    Thanks for all the kind words, ive found a couple of pictures now, as johnny said im pretty devastated but at least kev and I walked away un harmed.
    P1090636 by darransandwich, on Flickr

P1090635 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    OK. If you can suspend your conviction that I am a complete fcukwit for a moment...

I am NOT suggesting he cut the front off one car and solder it on in one piece

This car was one of the straightest, cleanest S13s on the road but the accident wasn't a fender-bender. It was a head-on with the armco. The top picture gives a realistic impression of the damage but unfortunately you can't see the extent of the damage as someone is leaning over it. The bottom one looks a lot better than it was. The inner wing and turret on the passenger side have concertina'd. The chassis rails are badly damaged at the front and twisted at the back where they are attached to the floorpan.

My estimate (having seen the car) would be that the turrets were more like 6cm out front to back than 6mm. Maybe 6mm side to side but probably more

Aaron would want to take the wheels, hubs, engine, cooler etc etc etc ...any that is salvageable from this car so he's going to have to dismantle it and reconstruct anyway.

What I am suggesting is that he sources a wrecker that has been rear ended, strips the bulkhead forward bodywork including inner wings, turrets, chassis rails, front cross members, front girder, tension rod brackets et al so he's got fresh parts.

Then dismantle the burgundy car back as far as the bulkhead, get it on a jig and weld the new chassis rails and inner wings from the donor car. Then rebuild the front end from there.

The welding and provision of a jig to do it on is probably a step too far for Aaron but dismantling/reassembling is well within his capabilities so the cost of dismantling/reassembling would be zero.

Rides
    It makes sense to buy a decent front end.
    but its suprising what can be saved

search youtube for arthur tussik very skillfull
    self taught shows how he jigs and stuff
    worth watching if your interested in this stuff.

Dont give up led.

Rides
    OK. If you can suspend your conviction that I am a complete fcukwit for a moment...

I am NOT suggesting he cut the front off one car and solder it on in one piece

This car was one of the straightest, cleanest S13s on the road but the accident wasn't a fender-bender. It was a head-on with the armco. The top picture gives a realistic impression of the damage but unfortunately you can't see the extent of the damage as someone is leaning over it. The bottom one looks a lot better than it was. The inner wing and turret on the passenger side have concertina'd. The chassis rails are badly damaged at the front and twisted at the back where they are attached to the floorpan.

My estimate (having seen the car) would be that the turrets were more like 6cm out front to back than 6mm. Maybe 6mm side to side but probably more

Aaron would want to take the wheels, hubs, engine, cooler etc etc etc ...any that is salvageable from this car so he's going to have to dismantle it and reconstruct anyway.

What I am suggesting is that he sources a wrecker that has been rear ended, strips the bulkhead forward bodywork including inner wings, turrets, chassis rails, front cross members, front girder, tension rod brackets et al so he's got fresh parts.

Then dismantle the burgundy car back as far as the bulkhead, get it on a jig and weld the new chassis rails and inner wings from the donor car. Then rebuild the front end from there.

The welding and provision of a jig to do it on is probably a step too far for Aaron but dismantling/reassembling is well within his capabilities so the cost of dismantling/reassembling would be zero.
    Didn't mean to cause any offense mate, just took everything you said as literal.

My idea about getting it on the jig was to see how far back was bent. I can't really tell how much has been bent from the pictures so I'm just assuming it can be pulled back until it gets put on a jig and measured.
    No doubt a donor car will need to be sourced as I doubt you can get a lot of these panels new, except the front panel/slam panel.
    As for the cost, I was just generalising about the state of a car. It's impossible to judge the costs involved in any of this work until we have all the information needed. But I can say that welding on the front end parts wouldn't be a cheap job and would an awful lot of thinking to commit to a project like that.