Thread: How to Adjust Your Speedo

Rides

How to Adjust Your Speedo

Don't think there is a how to on this and I've done a few peoples cars now, so here goes, my present to SXOC this year with Pablo's patented 10 point guide

Basically if you fit wheels that have quite a different rolling radius or change you diff's final drive ratio which quite a few people do, then it will throw your speedo out. As standard it is a bit out as most cars are anyway, but leave it alone if you can help it, as it gives you a fighting chance with the speed cameras and such

1) First off you'll need to pull/push the switches out the dash like the hazard lights and rear demister disconnect them and stick them to one side.

2) Remove the screws under the steering column cowling and the cowling itself

3) Remove the screws holding the lower cover from the dash and the cover

4) Then you should be able to pop the clips off the bottom of the cluster surround and with the two screws at the top should pull down and out a bit

5) From here its three screws to remove the instrument cluster itself and a number of electrical plugs and it should slide out

6) Once you have that out you should see a few push clips around the outside holding the clear plastic lens on pop those and remove the lens, its similar process again to get the black plastic cover off afterwards too.

7) If you flip the cluster over to the circuit board side you should see four screws in the center of the speedo, remove these and one on its own about 10 o'clock, disconnect the electric plug that runs the trip meter and the speedo assembly should drop out. here is the other side so you can see where the screw holes are

And this is the bit you want

8) If you look at it from the top you should spot a little white and blue dial. This is what you need to adjust to correct your speedo. Don't hold me to it, but IIRC turning it clockwise should slow it down....I think Its very sensitive, one dot to the next equates to about 7mph

9) From here you'll want to just pop the essentials on the cluster back together and go for a drive to check its right, leave fitting everything back until your happy its correct. Try to use a Sat Nav or something as accurate. Not all phone apps are as quick to react to speed changes. A nice straight bit of road you can keep a constant speed on helps, and try to check at a few different speeds.

10) Once your happy with it as the best manuals say refitting is a reversal of removal

This applies to 13's although I'd take the Pepsi challenge you would find something similar on 14's and 15's if you looked
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    good write up Pablo sure this will be of use to me one day! Sticky threads??

Rides
    I've stuck a link in the useful threads
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    does tachometer have potentiometer(blue dial)? Because it showing to little rpm..

Rides
    I never striped it down to check, could be worth a try. I have heard of people using different resistors to change the rpm output though.
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    will adjust mine when I get time I'm fed up of doing 140 in a 30 zone lol