Thread: s14 Battery Relocation?

Rides

s14 Battery Relocation?

Hi everyone

Im looking to relocate the battery to the boot.

I wondered if anyone did a kit before I go and get some cable and make it up as i go along.

Or if anyone has any suggestions about doing it

Cheers

Jack

Rides
    I did it last weekend, I bought a BMW e46 cable from a scrappy as it came with a nice pre crimped ring terminal on one end and a main earth block with a point under a flip off cover to jump start the car from, the block is sitting nicely next to my alarm sounder and I removed the existing live wires battery crimp and put a lug onto it then bolted it to the BMW main block, it's almost factory perfect, I'm the rear I used a short 15cm negative wire also from the BMW and I bolted that to the metal behind the carpet near the 3x relays on the right hand side of the boot, the live I have clipped down the factory cable route under the boot release lever.
    I've strapped the battery down with a crank strap from a new hole I made in the boot floor up over to the relay framework.
    I can take pictures later when home
    The under bonnet fusbox needs a feed and luckily the BMW main block had a 10mm red cable for linking to that
    I've put some covers over the terminals and replaced the rear carpet, it'll do till I get a small ams race battery and mount it somewhere neater like on the back shelf under the parcel shelf

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JC SX View Post
    I did it last weekend, I bought a BMW e46 cable from a scrappy as it came with a nice pre crimped ring terminal on one end and a main earth block with a point under a flip off cover to jump start the car from, the block is sitting nicely next to my alarm sounder and I removed the existing live wires battery crimp and put a lug onto it then bolted it to the BMW main block, it's almost factory perfect, I'm the rear I used a short 15cm negative wire also from the BMW and I bolted that to the metal behind the carpet near the 3x relays on the right hand side of the boot, the live I have clipped down the factory cable route under the boot release lever.
    I've strapped the battery down with a crank strap from a new hole I made in the boot floor up over to the relay framework.
    I can take pictures later when home
    The under bonnet fusbox needs a feed and luckily the BMW main block had a 10mm red cable for linking to that
    I've put some covers over the terminals and replaced the rear carpet, it'll do till I get a small ams race battery and mount it somewhere neater like on the back shelf under the parcel shelf

JC, thanks for your reply!

Sounds like it works well! how much did you pay for the power cable out of interest?

Did the cable run under the carpets and trims ok? I imagine its a fairly chunky cable?

Anychance of seeing a few pictures on how you've done it?

Thanks again!

Rides
    battery-covered.jpg
    battery-exposed.jpg
    cable-route.jpg
    earth-cable.jpg
    fuse-box.jpg

I took these whilst doing it, added some text, I have tidied the install up a bit since
    It works fine and battery is fixed securely but I still fancy a smaller battery and fixing it up on the back shelf under the parcel shelf

Rides
    main-block.jpg
    main-block-link.jpg
    ring-crimps-and-cable-clips.jpg

This is the main Live block, I fixed it up better in the alarm sounder area than its shown here

Rides
    Brilliant! thank you for those JC, very helpful

Rides
    Ive literally just used this as a good guide. i have arsed mine and didnt have enough cable from the bmw kit. now i do

Rides
    Glad to be of assistance I'll repost pics when I revise it, I'm happy with it and it works but I'd like to have the battery more stealth and not taking any boot space,
    I paid £15 quid for the cable from a local scrappy and it is fine to run down under the trim, could probably squeeze another two or three down the side of the seat route, it's just the hole though the bulkhead that was tight and meant taking the wheel and liner off to get access

Rides
    Hey, I know this is old but, I didn't get the "wire to fuse box" part, isn't it easier to attach the new prolonged wire to the old positive cable terminal? in order to just prolong it to the boot? maybe I'm missing something. Thanks!

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Well the fuse should be as close to the battery as possible for safety.

What I made when I did relocation kits are these:-
    Battery Relocation.jpg

Slots into the original battery terminal connector and then you post the new bare wire through the hole and use a M10 bolt to secure

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan@DB-Power View Post
    Well the fuse should be as close to the battery as possible for safety.

What I made when I did relocation kits are these:-
    Battery Relocation.jpg

Slots into the original battery terminal connector and then you post the new bare wire through the hole and use a M10 bolt to secure
    Do you still do the relocation kits?

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by rd_jon View Post
    Do you still do the relocation kits?
    sorry I don't. I still have these brass terminals and that's about it.