Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rusty Discs! Can they be saved?

Rides

Rusty Discs! Can they be saved?

I'm trying to get my S13 through the MOT after it sitting in the drive for 3 years. All the discs have a fair amount of surface rust. I assumed I would have to replace them but I was wondering id I could take them off and attack them with a wire wheel on the end of a drill.

Has anyone else done this? Do they warp as they go rusty? Would it be cost effective to get them skimmed on a leathe at an engineers? Who do you prefer, Kirk or Picard?

Rides
    As far as I know, discs warp when they go from very hot to cold quickly so unless you've got some INSANE drill & wire wheel, you should be be ok.

I'd maybe go with just a wire brush & some emery cloth to be safe though. Taking it to an engineering shop is probably a bit overkill unless they were wobbly when the car came off the road. But just for the purpose of getting it through an MOT, I wouldn't bother.

Lastly, I'm a Picard man through & through. So much more prowess than Kirk ever had.
    Last edited by R/M; 28-03-2012 at 10:57.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scatamonky View Post
    I'm trying to get my S13 through the MOT after it sitting in the drive for 3 years. All the discs have a fair amount of surface rust. I assumed I would have to replace them but I was wondering id I could take them off and attack them with a wire wheel on the end of a drill.
    Has anyone else done this?
    Yes

Do they warp as they go rusty?
    No

Would it be cost effective to get them skimmed on a leathe at an engineers?
    No

Who do you prefer, Kirk or Picard?
    Tough one, i like Kirks womanising shag anything attitude, but Picard has better ship and weapons at his disposal. Picard

Rides
    Wow, that was an odd way to reply..

Rides
    Can you post pics of the disks ?

If there is a lot of pitting due to the rust then its probably best to replace them or if they are fairly new and you are trying to save money, get them skimmed.

Warping is actually a build up of deposits on the braking surface and happens when the brakes get too hot usually because the piston(s) seize in the caliper so its not going to happen with the car stationary.

If its just surface rust then they'll get cleaned up pretty quickly when you use the brakes.

Pics would help.

EDIT: Who or what are Kirk and Picard ? Are they like Hale and Pace ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    WHAT!! Captain James T Kirk of the Start Ship Enterprise, And Captain jean Luc Picard of the Star Ship Enterprise.

Ban him

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R/M View Post
    Lastly, I'm a Picard man through & through. So much more prowess than Kirk ever had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
    Tough one, i like Kirks womanising shag anything attitude, but Picard has better ship and weapons at his disposal. Picard
    Kirk, for the basic reason that he actually bothered to use the damn weapons rather than Picard getting everyone to sit around a table and work out their differences

It's a Starship Picard, you monumental fail

and Jonny's old enough to have seen the Kirk ones the first time around

SXOC Member #62SXOCCar Gone & ZX-12RPS4 - AFKAN
    Pessimists are people without dreams. dhún an doras ar do bhealach amach...Wii - 2031 7909 3288 5367
    Gamers Read This...

Rides
    WHAT!! Captain James T Kirk of the Start Ship Enterprise, And Captain jean Luc Picard of the Star Ship Enterprise.

Ban him
    Oh, you mean TJ Hooker ! Why didn't you just say ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    BUH?!?!

Ban him
    +1

Rides
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...-a-Fixer-Upper!!

Jonny I will get better close pics soon but you can kinda see what I'm up against in one or two of these pics from my For Sale thread.

The brakes were top notch before she went off the road, passed the MOT but failed on other things. Since then hasnt moved for 3 years. So its just a build up of rust from lack of driving. Trying to MOT her for as little money as possible.

Interesting debate on the Star Trek topic.....so who would win a fight between Braveheart and Gladiator?

Rides
    I just used and orbital sander, came up like new.

Rides
    I'd leave them as they are and the pads will clean them up as you go .

picard-fail_499x327.jpg

Rides
    ive shot blasted some old discs before that id left in the garden for a year and they were fine, id normally just go for it and let the pads wear the rust off

Rides
    I would just drive it for 10 mins....... and use the brakes lol!!!

Am i missing something!?

Rides
    It barely moves the brakes are so rusty, I have to take it all apart anyway to put new shocks and springs on. It will be going up on axle stands this weekend to sort out any and all under side rust as well.

Rides
    I used a grinder like this:

And just grinded the worst rust off the discs, then mounted them and brake a lot.
    remember, your front brakes do about 70% of the braking.... so getting the rears nice and clean takes some time.

Rides
    Rust eats pads. You can fail MOT on lack of swept area shown by rust.

You shouldn't treat like new pads that need bedding in.

It's also possible to sand pads if they glazed or grooved, place coarse wet and dry on sheet of glass and rub pad on it.

Rides
    Well mate..... if you do decide to follow everyone's instructions and sand pads and discs..... for god's sake use a mask when your doing it.

Im not sure if it really needs to be so drastic...... but a photo would quickly tell i suppose.

Rides
    If I get time, and I can get the right socket (think its a slim fit long reach 21m) to get my wheels off I will get a start on this tomorrow morning. My new springs and shocks are in the post courtesy of Craiglancs and TurboGav (Thanks again fellas!) I will take plenty of before during and after pics to let you all know how I get on!

Rides
    I have taken photos, but havent got them off my camera yet! Although now I have a new and interesting problem. I took the passenger side front caliper off and the top slide pin was still moving freely but the bottom was totally seized. After much WD40 and banging with hammers I eventually thought if I cant get it moving in and out perhaps twisting it will free it. So I put the 14mm bolt back in and tightened it right up....and then kept turning and low and behold the slide pin started turning as well. After some vigorous back and forth twisting I eventually got it out. I grabbed the pin with some vice grips and got the bolt back out without too much trouble too. I took a wire wheel and sandpaper to it, coated it with fresh axle grease and all was well.

So when I got to the driver side and found exactly the same problem, I thought now problem, just repeat what I did on the other side. However, when I tightened up the bolt and then kept turning.....the bolt sheared off before the pin turned.

I also rounded the lower 19mm bolt that holds the caliper to the hub!!!!! And it was all going so well!!!