Thread: Pressure Washer advice

Rides

Pressure Washer advice

Hi Jem just wondering if you can advise on my new pressure washer.
    I bought a Nilfisk washher from amazon as it was cheap on the black friday deal.

It has an attachment to go on the end of the lance which can be filled with (im assuming) shampoo.
    Is it just my regular car shampoo that would go in this to give it a 'snowfoam'? before i start the handwashing?
    I would obviously pressure wash off all the dirt that i could before doing this or handwashing it.
    I just wasnt sure if there was a special type of addative i would need to use in this rather than regular shampoo.

thanks

Nath

Rides
    Hi Mate,

In my experience the supplied shampoo bottles are pretty crap, they tend to empty very quickly and don't foam much at all. It would be worth a try with filling the bottle with water and adding a cap full of your chosen shampoo and trying that, but I doubt you'll have much success. Add any more shampoo to the bottle and you'll just be wasting it.

One thing to be aware of, is it's very easy to spray the car with too strong a mix of shampoo and take the wax/sealant off. With the Nano Sealant I used on your car this won't happen as it's chemically bonded to the paint and won't come off, but something to be aware of with cars using normal wax or sealant.

Give it a go and see how it works. If not then this foam lance and this foam is great. IIRC the Nilfisk pressure washers use the Kew/Alto fitting, but check first as I'm not 110%
    Last edited by Jem; 02-12-2011 at 21:26.

Rides
    Jem,

similar topic, any idea what foam lance would fit a Clarke pressure washer?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spm_steve View Post
    Jem,

I don't know for sure but I think they are also Kew/Alto, post a picture of the connection and I should be able to say for sure.

Rides
    Thanks for the help mate. Will investigate tomorrow.

Cheers

Rides
    Let me know how you get on

Rides
    Gavit a quick try at the weekend using the meguires shampoo and seemed to work pretty good. It didnt cling to the paint quite so well as in the video on the link you sent me but it certainly shapood the car pretty quickly. I dont know if this was because it was not proper snow foam shampoo?
    I put maybe 1/2" of shampoo and topped up with water and it was around 1/2 empty after coating the mrs S2000 (didnt use the pressure on the roof for obvious reasons).
    It didnt really remove any lodged dirt but as a pre wash i guess its not supposed to so all in all im quite happy.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spm_steve View Post
    Jem,

I've been told it may be a lavor connection or maybe an M22 screw connection. If you can post a picture of the connection I'll find out for sure for you.

Quote Originally Posted by redlinezak View Post
    Gavit a quick try at the weekend using the meguires shampoo and seemed to work pretty good. It didnt cling to the paint quite so well as in the video on the link you sent me but it certainly shapood the car pretty quickly. I dont know if this was because it was not proper snow foam shampoo?
    I put maybe 1/2" of shampoo and topped up with water and it was around 1/2 empty after coating the mrs S2000 (didnt use the pressure on the roof for obvious reasons).
    It didnt really remove any lodged dirt but as a pre wash i guess its not supposed to so all in all im quite happy.
    That sounds good, though that is a lot of shampoo going on the car and could remove wax.

After you started this thread I've bought myself the Auto-Brite Lance and 6 litres of Magifoam (this foam lance and this foam). Just finished using it on the Corsa and I have to say it's VERY VERY good. I've used snowfoam before, but my lance got damaged and I wasn't in a hurry to replace it as I had found it didn't shift that much. The Corsa had a weeks worth dirt from a week of driving in wet and salted roads, after 30 minutes dwelling with Magifom it's not nigh on spotless. I'm not sure I'd dry it with a drying towel, but I can't see any dirt on it at all and swiping a finger across the bottom of the doors suggests it's clean.

Dwelling with Magifoam

Near as damn it clean, and I have not physically touched the car at all

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    That sounds good, though that is a lot of shampoo going on the car and could remove wax.
    Really? I thought that wasnt very much at all seeing as in that link you sent me it says to use 1-2" in a i litre bottle?

Im not sure if the magifoam is less abrasive than regular shampoo tho so maybe that the difference.
    Im going to get some of the foam and see how it works in my lance before buying a new one.

Cheers

Nath

Rides
    Using too much shampoo can do, depending on the shampoo and how much is used. Just something to be aware of. Most snowfoams and certainly Magifoam are wax safe. Snowfoam has a lot more foaming agents in them than car shampoo.

Rides
    Thanks for all the help and advice mate just ordered the magifoam so will see how i get on with it.

Cheers

Nath

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by redlinezak View Post
    Thanks for all the help and advice mate just ordered the magifoam so will see how i get on with it.

Cheers

Nath
    It does sound like the foam bottle supplied with your pressure washer is much better than the one supplied with mine! Mine would empty the bottle in under a minute