Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My s14 B-road/skidder project

Rides

My s14 Fast road/Drift project. TD06,Tomei ETC inside!

Well got my 200sx on september 6th 2011 with me being a very happy bloke!!!
    Ive owned 3 cars previously and im only 20, this is my 4th and i know own 2 cars :P
    Tinkering is something i have to do and having a 200 as a project was perfect.
    Everyone knows what a standard 200 looks like so no pics.
    N reg, 123,000 iirc, green standard s14.
    It had been owned by the same person from 1997 so had full history since then and was very concise!!!
    I want it to be 350-400 reliable horses. not sure on turbo set up yet but im sure it will be HKS route.

I had plans of getting it off the road asap but i was lucky to get insured for a week on it and found it drove like crap!!!
    I have a Ibiza FR 1.9tdi as my daily car and it was quicker than the 200!!!
    So i assumed, good service, few runs and it might just be choked up as only done short runs for last few years.
    Anyway tried fitting my FMIC i had from Japspeed but ran into trouble and i ran out of time with insurance so its now SORN'd.
    Now a few pics:

then i went and fitted my cat-back exhaust, plan to have manifold, elbow, flexi downpipe, sports cat and then this:

So after fitting these and being happy with that, i went and had a look behind the rear bumper and found minimal rust which was good. All hammerited and checked for anything that doesnt look right:

Stickers :P

New cone filter for induction raw mainly. New sparks, 10w40 semi, oil filter, z32 fuel filter have been fitted and also got a new rocker gaster, turbo-manifold gasket as its blowing and vibrating like crazy. Purchased a set of 350z rays alloys for well £350 before i got the 200 as they were a steal! Then a carbonfibre boot from Japspeed's special deal price liberated my wallet of more monies.

Now for the rust!
    Kept outside form day one so i was glad to get a 200 before winter started to eat through it again. This one looked on the face of it, well good but as always, truned out to be 50% rust 40% metal 10% seam sealant.

Sills have rusted upto the b pillar but worse around rear arches. Nice bit in usual places underneath but not bad in some areas. Chassis rails are nice a rusty and after removing the useless diff cooler there was more to remove form that area too.

Il get some more pics and stuff up when i get round to it. Alloys going on on friday when i get the tyres fitted.
    Navan bumper being purchased friday as well so this one is going to be cut up a bit to get best airflow to intercooler and future oil cooler.
    Last edited by jackm; 13-10-2013 at 21:16.

Rides
    You made a good start on that.

Should be a nice Winter Project removing that Rust, lol !

Rides
    looking good so far, you mentioned running into troubles with the intercooler? what were they?

if you're doing the turbo gaskets i've got a nice japspeed manifold sitting spare i can sell you just pm me

Rides
    Cheers lads

Oh plenty of rust and welding for me

Yeh i had problem with the old recirc pipe wouldnt fit so got a apex bung kit instead of having it and also it fouled on the fan cowl so cut it.
    Apart from that, perfect
    Oh dont tempt me.....

Rides
    bit atm, Knew there was some bad rust in the rear sills, just been opening them up a bit more and theres a fair bit. about a foot of it has gone from the arch towards the door.
    Also the triangular brace thats on the front of the subframe mounting points, is it of much use???
    One of the bolts has basically become useless as its been held in with rust.
    350 alloys have been fitted on the rear now tho needs coillies majorly.

now the rust!

not fun getting a quote on wed for how much to get it repaired so can work out if its cheaper for me to weld it, means got to buy a welder tho.

Oh and the one in the floor:

Rides
    Bit close?

Heyho......have to get coilies now :P
    Also got some driftworks rear adjustable arms being purchsed tmoz :P

Rides

Driftworks arms fitted, need aligning obviously but happy with the job.
    Was supposed to do fuel pump and catch tank today but ran out of time. might do catch tank/carbon cannister removal tonight

Rides
    So did my fuel pump today eventually, walbro 255 for the standard, was surprised to see a walbro in there already but the 190lph. So no wire stripping and crimping used the crappy sock that came with the walbro when they fitted it tho but wouldnt have noticed tbh :/

Also got the Navan bumper on this morning

Bumper is a little wonky as had a knock and one side is cable tied on and other is floating about still as no wing on.
    Last edited by JackM; 13-11-2011 at 17:17.

Rides
    looking good dude, just up the road from me, you may have seen me blasting around!

must be nice to have a garage to play with, im out on the street fiddling away

(remided me I must remove my diff cooler and rear bumper soon as im sure im rusting there as well)

Rides
    So many local cars now.

Rides
    Cheers

Yeh lots of cars around our area, quite surprised tbh.
    Garage is great, i would have the car if i dodnt have one.
    I just want to get the body sorted for the summer then do an engine rebuild next year, worked on piston aircraft engines, done a few rebuilds on them but they have very detailed manuals :P

Rides
    Took the rocker cover off today to see what the condition of it and to change oil spray bars.

Bit eh black :/

Looking a bit crappy and also looks like coolant in the system as theres alot of mayo coloured substance wer the chain goes. Headgasket gone/going?

Rides
    So head came off after a few evenings working on it.
    Got an Apex head gasket kit so doing valve stem seals and will change as many gaskets as possible including the turbo gasket which i wanted to change anyway.

Rounded off 2 head bolts which i was a bit, well eh annoyed is the best way to put it.
    Got them off with a T55 torx bit and a hammer.

So head off and notice fair bit of carbon on the pistons, not a problem, will clean it off

No corrosion in the water ports either which is good

All original gaskets etc, never been done. Im only doing my Head gasket as found a bit of evidence of water in the rocker cover.

Now i found the reason why the car felt like a bag of crap when i drove it. Seized turbo AND stuck open-ish wastegate.

Turbo part number

So Holset HX35 time for me? hmm tempted

Rides
    Fancy helping me take my head off and do some work on it? Not as brave as you to attempt myself

Rides
    Unless you want no boost until 5000+ rpm dont bother with a hx35

Rides
    Wow this is a nice thread. Your wallet isn't as shy as mine! Parts going on rapid! Good luck with this defo one to watch

Rides
    Good project. Dont get too depressed with the rust, most s14's are like that now. This was mine!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JC SX View Post
    Fancy helping me take my head off and do some work on it? Not as brave as you to attempt myself
    I wouldnt mind helping but i dont like the idea of screwing something up for myself. If you have the general idea on how to do it, number stuff up so goes back in the correct place and take your time, cant really go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by diamondsink View Post
    Unless you want no boost until 5000+ rpm dont bother with a hx35
    True say :/

Quote Originally Posted by alexs14a View Post
    Wow this is a nice thread. Your wallet isn't as shy as mine! Parts going on rapid! Good luck with this defo one to watch
    Yeh i had some money come in so thought sod it

Few more bits below :P

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Auto View Post
    Good project. Dont get too depressed with the rust, most s14's are like that now. This was mine!
    I wont get too depressed. Im looking forward to welding it up myself
    Mine will probally look the same

Now the bits i got for my bday

New H-Dev mani, afm intake pipe from apex, 2nd hand t28 from driftbitz as mine was seized solid.

Oh and got a pair of navan sideskirts to go on too

Rides
    Looking good so far mate

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jk 200sx View Post
    Looking good so far mate
    Cheers
    Hate working in this cold tho