Thread: Poorly fitting downpipe

Rides

Poorly fitting downpipe

Hi ive just finished doing my turbo gaskets thank god and went to fit my new elbow and downpipe and it doesnt fit.Basically the downpipe sits to close to the underboby heatshield and is nowhere near the standard gearbox mount and wont line up with the de cat.I brought the the s14 downpipe and elbow combo from japspeed for my s14a does anyone have any idea's

Rides
    Few pics not the best but you get the idea

Rides
    Well that looks garbage mate. As far as I am aware the downpipes are common between the S14 and the S14a, but the elbows are different. Perhaps it's worth checking to see if Japspeed sent you the right elbow.

Frankly tho, I've seen their elbows, downpipes and some other stock and they are amongst the worst quality and fitting stuff I've ever stumbled on. My high capacity diff backplate I bought (and sent back) made me cringe.

Head SXOC Security and small penis department TheBigShow's Avatar
    Rides
    yo uneed all the japspeed stuff to fit the downpipe, including elbow and mani i believe. and even maybe the exhaust, theres loads of threads about it.

Rides
    Iant buying more stuff to make something fit that should fit anyway i think ill give them a call tomorrow to say im pissed of is abit of a understament

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    S14 and 14a downpipes are different but should be fine when matched up to the correct elbow. My japspeed double downpipe isn't an ideal fit either.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    The flange on the end of the downpipe doesnt really line up with the de cat properly ether ive tried loosening all the bolts of but still wont go into place

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    That's the same fitment issue mine has
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    I've had similar grief with mine from apex, i bought a s14 flexi downpipe and it fouled against the chassis rail, got fed up with it knocking on every single bump and kink in the road so i sent it back and re-fitted the solid one.

Rides
    the previous owner of my car had a spacer welded to the downpipe for this exact reason and it is a japspeed elbow/downpipe combination

heres the link to the problems the previous owner had with my one http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=481566
    Last edited by galls_s13; 25-09-2011 at 19:50. Reason: link added

Rides
    Im not being funny but surely when you buy a product designed for your car it should atleast fit you shouldnt have to modify it or bodge it to get it to work

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jamski View Post
    Im not being funny but surely when you buy a product designed for your car it should atleast fit you shouldnt have to modify it or bodge it to get it to work
    Absolutely dude. But in the current tuning scene and the need to drive prices down to the new generation of owners you just can't get quality parts for naff all money. People aren't prepared to spend money that was being spent as little as 3 years ago, and the general quality of offered parts has suffered as a result.

If you can stretch, buy a downpipe and elbow from a brand. It'll likely be a joy to work with. My PSM Max Flex Cobra was a sublime fit.

Rides
    Double check the parts, could be a mix up of the shorter elbow and downpipe maybe??

Rides
    Hi Jamski.

Sorry to hear you have had a problem with the items fitting, we sell hundreds of our elbows and downpipes and very rarely get a problem give me a call on 08450 212 312 and I will happily get this resolved for you straight away.

As has been stated above it may be that you have been sent the wrong combination or the item may be faulty, I am sure we can get this sorted for you quickly.

Regards
    Paul

Rides
    Sent you a PM also.