Thread: No insurance and tax of a car

Rides

No insurance and tax of a car

Seen a couple of tegs i like to gonna get rid of the ins on the MG -

The car is going so i doubt i will use it once i have the teg.

How does this work ? - do i have to sorn if it has no insurance - seems utterly retarded

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    It can be taxed with no insurance as long as its not on the highway, you would only need to SORN it when current tax runs out.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    It can be taxed with no insurance as long as its not on the highway, you would only need to SORN it when current tax runs out.
    Not correct.

As of earlier this year, if its got no insurance, you have to SORN it.

EDIT: From the DVLA website...

If you're the registered keeper of a vehicle, it must be insured at all times.
    The exceptions are:
    if you have made a SORN for the vehicle
    if your vehicle has been kept off-road since before SORN came into force on 31 January 1998 – unless it was brought back into use
    if your vehicle is recorded as stolen, passed or sold to the motor trade or between registered keepers
    if your vehicle is recorded scrapped or permanently exported by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing (DVLA)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Not correct.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Yep its a pain, but no tax regardless of where it is kept means SORN time

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Yep its a pain, but no insurance or tax regardless of where it is kept means SORN time
    Edited for truth

Rides
    Thats SO stupid.

Ah well ill just keep both policys running i think

Rides
    Not correct.

So how are they going to find out then? I know the rule, but short of cross checking every numberplate with every insurance policy every day .......

Quite aside from the fact that I own 5 taxed vehicles that arent on the MIDB but havent been contacted yet ........
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    So how are they going to find out then? I know the rule, but short of cross checking every numberplate with every insurance policy every day .......

Quite aside from the fact that I own 5 taxed vehicles that arent on the MIDB but havent been contacted yet ........
    I believe its all done electronically, automatic fine if not SORN'd or retaxed/insured after 14 days?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I believe its all done electronically, automatic fine if not SORN'd or retaxed/insured after 14 days?
    Tax hasnt run out, see my comments regarding MIDB vehicles above, so insurance doesnt make any difference either. If you keep the tax on it at least people can test drive it .......

Rides

He didn't say "Will I get done ?". He said "Do I have to ?" which I took to mean "Is it the law ?"

So, yes its the law. Will you get done ? Dunno. Let me know.

Its a very simple computer application to send out a fine notice to anyone that is registered as a keeper with the DVLA but hasn't registered SORN and isn't on the MID database as either having a drivers/traders policy or vehicle specific insurance.

Also, they HAVE made it your responsibility to check your details on MID AND ignorance of the law is no defence.

Your circumstances are covered by the fact you have a drivers policy I suspect.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Thats SO stupid.

Ah well ill just keep both policys running i think
    If you were planning to transfer the NCD, see if they will mirror the NCD across onto the new policy. Some underwriters will do that.

Rides
    He didn't say "Will I get done ?". He said "Do I have to ?" which I took to mean "Is it the law ?"

So, yes its the law. Will you get done ? Dunno. Let me know.
    Sorry man, wanst arguing with you, by the letter you should but I cant see any reason not to, indeed, for test driving and selling purposes tax makes life a shedload easier

Rides
    I'm hoping that the insurance industry will catchup soon with an addition to a policy that will let allow a prospective buyer to drive a car as long as it is within 5 miles of the registered property and the registered keeper is a passenger.

Rides
    I'm hoping that the insurance industry will catchup soon with an addition to a policy that will let allow a prospective buyer to drive a car as long as it is within 5 miles of the registered property and the registered keeper is a passenger.
    i cant see it happening - insurers will be wide open in regards to liability. No way of proving person in the passenger seat was the registered keeper and again, no way of ensuring only 5 miles away.

Insurance fraud is far too common place and a policy extension such as the above would just be asking for even more of it.

People have the option for temporary insurance online, they also may have the driving other cars extension. many traders who sell motors can cover the perspective buyer on their policy if they choose.

But you are correct, there is nothing out there for joe public to drive a car they are thinking of buying - have to be careful with dual insurance and ensure that there is insurable interest

Rides
    That would be amazing. But it wont happen

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz_ View Post
    i cant see it happening - insurers will be wide open in regards to liability. No way of proving person in the passenger seat was the registered keeper and again, no way of ensuring only 5 miles away.
    Daz, Why do you think it is not possible ?

PC McGary pulls you up and says, are you insured ? Yes, because although its not my vehicle, its registered in this guys name and we're just going for a test ride from where he lives to here which is less than 5 miles.

What's hard about that ?

1. Is the registered keeper in the passenger seat ?
    2. Is the vehicle more than 5 miles from the registered address ?

Same rules for an accident.

Insurance fraud is far too common place and a policy extension such as the above would just be asking for even more of it.
    How ? Fairly inconvenient if I have to take the registered keeper with me every time I want to drive it and I can't go more than 5 miles from the house and it can't be registered at my house.

People have the option for temporary insurance online, they also may have the driving other cars extension. many traders who sell motors can cover the perspective buyer on their policy if they choose.
    Two things with this...
    7 days temp cover at £45 a day to test drive a car. Ermmmmm....

For most "other cars" extensions, you're only covered if the vehicle is insured by the registered keeper.

But you are correct, there is nothing out there for joe public to drive a car they are thinking of buying - have to be careful with dual insurance and ensure that there is insurable interest
    Dual insurance isn't an issue unless you take out more than one policy that covers you to drive the car.

Rides
    no insurance= no tax. its a totally stupid system as trying to buy a car privatley becomes a nightmare. yes you can get day insurance £15 a day but you cant buy tax on day insurance.