Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tornado GR4 Photoshoot

Rides

Tornado GR4 Photoshoot

I thought some people on here might be interested in this, so...

I was asked to carry out an air-air photoshoot by 41 Squadron, after photographing their newly-finished Tornado GR4 which has been painted to commemorate the Squadrons 95th anniversary.

The brief was to produce some iconic images which would show the jet off ahead of its' public unveiling across the European airshow circuit, as well as be printed in various publications around the world and to decorate the walls inside 41Sqn itself.

There wasn't much notice prior to the shoot, so planning between myself and the aircrew was limited to a 20 minute conversation as we got into the G-suits. Fortunately for me, they were very clear on what they wanted out of the sortie, and were also very accomodating with the ideas I had. I knew the difficulty with this sort of job was to produce something different to what had been done before, particularly as a friend of mine had done the last photoshoot of a lone 41sqn GR4 air-air and done a bloody good job.

We were to fly down to Dover to fly past the Battle of Britain memorial, and on the way we would pass over certain landmarks which the aircrew thought would be photogenic. I made some slight deviations to the route to include further landmarks I thought would be photogenic, and we included some dead space in the flight where we could try some aerobatics and try to shoot something unique.

(Just to clarify before I post these images, they are subject to MOD Crown Copyright)

Walking out to our jet, with the GR4 in the background (taken by Steve):

Strapped into the Hawk, from 100sqn RAF Leeming:

The Hawk was chosen due to its ability to perform high-G very quickly, which is ideal for suddenly peeling away from the jet we were photographing. We could have used a Typhoon, although we didn't really need to sustain high-G and the flight would have cost more. The only real downside to the Hawk was the lack of grunt in comparison to the GR4, although this was only really noticeable in the loop, and on the take-off, where it left us for dead.

The 'zig-zag' lines in this shot are the lines of detonation-chord which line the canopy to shatter it, should we need to eject:

Once airborne, we had a 5-10 minute slot of fairly easy flying, to give me chance to get used to photographing in my new environment. I've been asked a lot since about what it's like, and the difficulties of shooting.

Firstly, the cockpit is very cramped; there's no room for anything that doesn't need to be there. The life-vest of the flying suit also makes it difficult to turn around, so you have to physically turn your entire torso to glance over your shoulder. The harness is on a release lever to allow you to move forward, to then give you enough room to turn around, although this then brings you face to face with the instrument panel. I also found it pretty difficult to avoid hitting the stick with the camera lens under G, which was undoubtedly annoying my pilot no end. But probably the most difficult is forcing yourself not to fight the G, which I failed quite miserably at. I'm glad I did to get the shots I did...but I paid for it the next day! The reflections on the canopy were a nightmare, and I couldnt get hold of a polarising filter beforehand to eliminate them. Also, as I always shoot on Manual, coming through cloud cover into direct sunlight meant second-guessing the cloud positions themselves, which proved pretty difficult too.

Anyway, I'll let the rest of the images do the talking. I won't include some of the more iconic images, as I'd rather they were officially released by 41Sqn in their brochure (and on their stand this weekend at the RAF Waddington airshow for anyone going). So these are some of the poorer images which I doubt will be used by them.

I hope you enjoy, if for nothing else than to get an insight into the world of a four year old boy who finally got to strap into a live ejection seat after 20 years of trying.

Please stay tuned, more images to follow.
    Last edited by Garrett_T25; 30-06-2011 at 20:53.

Rides
    Holy shit dude! You officially win most amazing thread EVER on the SXOC! I am literally gobsmacked. What an amazing opportunity, subject matter and incredible results.

Truly, truly brilliant!

Rides
    So jealous of you right now. It must have been an amazing experience.

Rides

And finally; what goes up...

...must come down

Thanks again for looking, and to both 41Sqn and 100Sqn.

(For any geeks interested, all images were shot on a Nikon D3, 24-70mm lens on Manual exposure, single-servo auto focus).
    Last edited by Garrett_T25; 30-06-2011 at 20:51.

Rides
    Cheers guys, I wont lie it was absolutely brilliant. Cant wait for the next air-air job!

Rides
    officially mega jealous!!!

and, some great shots there.

Rides
    Christ alive, the vertical climb shot is amazing! Am I being crazy or have you actually managed to photograph the air displacing off the tail plane!!!!

Rides
    epic photos!

Rides
    Wow, MASSIVELY jealous!

I work with alot of the Army photographers, and even some of the stuff they get to shoot looks pretty awesome.

Rides
    Awesome photo's.

Rides
    Best thread.

Amazing

Rides
    Wow.

Amazing pictures chap - brilliant job.

I couldn't be more jealous!

Rides
    AWESOME!!!!

I love jets, Mix those with S bodies and you get a win of epic proportions.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Very impressed. Your a lucky boy thats for certain
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

JAPOKYO! cos im made of special! (Nuneaton)
    Rides
    Outstanding shots, any chance of a link to some to use as backgrounds ?
    Its gone!

Rides
    amazing shots, mega jealous.

Rides
    Cool!

What Camera and Lens were you using?

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    WOW!!! Any chance of some large high-res (i.e. wallpaper ) versions please?!

Rides
    Holy fcuk WOW

That is all

Rides
    Very , very cool! Not many get to experience that! Awesome planes. My old man was a GR4 navigator so I grew up on RAF bases hearing and seeing them every day.