Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slr camera options

Rides

slr camera options

I spent most of this years ring trip stood at the side of the track taking shots and really getting a feel for photography . I dont want to dive in and spend a fortune on gear and never use it but would like a half decent camera to get me started.

This year I borrowed my mums on fine pix s5600 (i think thats the model number), it did an ok job but very annoying using buttons for zoom and manual focus :furious. Started looking around on the bay and various forums but still not sure what to get?

Budget - £200

in that range I have found a few bargains but not sure which would be best to start me off.

sony a200
    canon d20 or d350
    olympus e-420

over to guys, whats what? what should I go for.

Rides
    Nikon's are real good but it will be hard to get one for £200

Rides
    lol sorry fella, really cant take advice from you when you couldn't even use your Mrs slr at japfest

was thinking nikon, used Jamies in Germany, wasnt overly impressed although only spent a few minuetes trying to get a few shots

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cornwall View Post
    lol sorry fella, really cant take advice from you when you couldn't even use your Mrs slr at japfest

was thinking nikon, used Jamies in Germany, wasnt overly impressed although only spent a few minuetes trying to get a few shots
    Not so much i can't use it more im not allowed to use it

Rides
    Have a look and see if you can get a Nikon D40 i've had canon and olympus Dslrs and wouldn't go back now.

Rides
    My photos here are all from my D40

http://m.flickr.com/photos/bigdvr6/5672878417/

Head SXOC Security and small penis department TheBigShow's Avatar
    Rides
    me and jess have decided we want a decent DSLR for next year, and get into photography a bit.

Rides
    I lie the air day photos where taken on a D700 so you can ignore them.

Rides
    you can pick up 2nd hand D40s for ~£220-240.

I'd definitely go that route rather than put your money on an expensive compact. I was given a D60 and I really enjoy using it.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    What's the difference between d40 and d70, found a d70 on available forums with lens for £200.

Rides
    D40 is a newer 'hobby' SLR. I used to repair SLR's and The D70 had so many common faults I absolutely hated it. In terms of build quality of the cameras mentioned the Canon 20D is head over heals above the others but it's also one of the oldest so finding a nice one may not be so easy. If you can get one in your budget a Canon 30D is basically the same with a few updates and a larger LCD.

Rides
    spend abit more and get a nikon.. cameras and lenses generally hold thier value really well so evan if you dont get on with it youll never really be at a loss

nikon d3000 would suit you fine

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    D40 is a newer 'hobby' SLR. I used to repair SLR's and The D70 had so many common faults I absolutely hated it. In terms of build quality of the cameras mentioned the Canon 20D is head over heals above the others but it's also one of the oldest so finding a nice one may not be so easy. If you can get one in your budget a Canon 30D is basically the same with a few updates and a larger LCD.
    have been looking at the 20d but didnt like the tiny lcd screen, the 30d does look like a good option if I can find one. i missed a 40d on ebay yesterday, excelent condition for £200 wasnt too sure what is was worth at the time, really wish I bought it now.

Thoughts on this? http://www.avforums.com/forums/digit...acro-lens.html

or http://www.avforums.com/forums/digit...50mm-lens.html

am I just trying to hard for a bargain and stick searching for canon and nikon?

Rides
    If you can stretch to a D40 then I would. Used mine for years and it's a brilliant camera for the money.

Rides
    you can get a d3000 with a VR lens for about £250 now

avoid sigma

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by davesx View Post
    If you can stretch to a D40 then I would. Used mine for years and it's a brilliant camera for the money.
    Been readine great review on these, just wish I could find cheap like the one yesterday on the bay

Quote Originally Posted by Chris7 View Post
    you can get a d3000 with a VR lens for about £250 now

avoid sigma
    Thanks for the heads up will take a look at the d3000

Rides
    iv had mine over a year now really good also i bought a good zoom lens cheap off my girlfriends dad which is a nikon 70-300mm VR lens with 2 filters that were £90 each

but just the d3000 with the 18-55 VR lens is really good to i bought mine for £350 about a year and half ago , its ideal for beginners too

Rides
    Watching a 30d on the bay at the moment, only at £170 with 3 hours remaining. May dangle my carrot on this one...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cornwall View Post
    Watching a 30d on the bay at the moment, only at £170 with 3 hours remaining. May dangle my carrot on this one...
    Sounds good. The build quality of those (especially internally) really is a step above the cheaper Nikons and Canons and the Olympus, Pentax and Sony aren't really in the running.

Rides
    Sounds good. The build quality of those (especially internally) really is a step above the cheaper Nikons and Canons and the Olympus, Pentax and Sony aren't really in the running.
    Well the shutter on my Dad's old film Minolta (Sony) has worked for a good 20 years longer than my 40D one did.

And his Olympus DSLR has worked faultlessly as well.

Mine just failed but there are some reports of them failing intermittantly. A £200 camera doesn't look so cheap when it's at least £200 to repair it.