Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Are you sick of manifold and turbo studs/nuts coming loose?

Rides
    I think when mine goes Ill give these a try. depending on your set up these must be better that what I have on at the mo. Thankfully I haven't had too much problems with mine.
    Good idea though.
    Changing more things ie flexi,etc will help even more

Rides
    Look like a good idea.

Makes you wonder how people invent stuff like this in the first place!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by C8DHC View Post
    Makes you wonder how people invent stuff like this in the first place!
    It normally takes one of them bang on the head moments or takes people with far more brain than any of us on here to know what the problem is and use their amazing super sized brains to sit and work out a solution.

I'm only glad that there are so many people around here that can offer so much advice and for free of any real knowledge ;-)

Rides
    So lovely people of the SX community who's using what when it comes to studs, nuts and gaskets, these days? Took my turbo and exhaust to my welder and he's not happy welding the exhaust housing. He assures me it's not an ideal solution and that I risk cracking the housing and the welds probably won't hold under heavy use. So I'm back to nuts, studs and gaskets. What doesn't help is I'm running a TD06 with 3 bolt flanges. Your help and advise is very much appreciated, thanks!

Rides
    could use lockwire to permanently eliminate the problem

Rides
    the problem tends to be that the studs heat up and stretch causing the nuts to become loose, rather than the nuts just coming loose. i had a flexi put in the exhaust made and used the gearbox bracket. I used cheap studs nuts and gaskets, genuine studs nuts gaskets and locking tabs and even tacked the nuts and studs in place. after about the 5th time i got fed up and welded the turbo to the manifold, that was about 3 years ago and ive not had any problems since. just my 2 cents.

Rides

Are you sick of manifold and turbo studs/nuts coming loose?

Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    So lovely people of the SX community who's using what when it comes to studs, nuts and gaskets, these days? Took my turbo and exhaust to my welder and he's not happy welding the exhaust housing. He assures me it's not an ideal solution and that I risk cracking the housing and the welds probably won't hold under heavy use. So I'm back to nuts, studs and gaskets. What doesn't help is I'm running a TD06 with 3 bolt flanges. Your help and advise is very much appreciated, thanks!

As mentioned above lock wire is a great solution and can removed and redone easily. Only hard part is drilling through the nut to accept the wire.

Or use tab washers when hammered correctly into the sides of the nut and flange mine haven't come loose in four years. I've seen two other people's car with the tab washers fitted and not actually tabbed over as if they thought fitting them in place was enough. This was also the case when I received my turbo setup that had been ran for a 1000miles and the tab washers weren't done up.

Both of the above I use and fit everyday in my job and they never come undone and all sorts of stress and heat is applied regularly.

Rides
    Flatten the mating faces and run gasketless, I done this about 5 years ago after going through 3 gaskets within months...

A flexi in the system helps and also making some support brackets for the elbow/ downpipe.

The beauty of not running a gasket and locking tabs, is that if they ever do work lose, they are easy to tigthen in situ.

Rides
    Lock wire would be ideal but there's at least two nuts that I can just about get a spanner to let alone lock wire. I'm thinking of getting an M8 stud kit using inconel studs and Heico lock washers from Full Race. As for gaskets I may have to try running without as I'm really struggling to find any.

http://www.full-race.com/store/manif...ware-kit.html/

Rides
    I abandoned every gasket on my TD06 kit and never had a problem, just kept the head to manifold Since changing to the GTX you can't beat one of these...

http://www.tialsport.com/index.php/t...rbine-housings

No leaks, plus turbo off in less than 10 mins and no swearing