Thread: Learning to drift...

Rides

Learning to drift...

Thought this would be an adequate section to put this in...
    Hello basically I'm thinking about learning to drift since owning an S14 and now my S13, have been itching to do it but never properly got to it.

Down to it, I was wondering if anyone knew anywhere that does drift lessons or anything similar? Similar to rally/handbrake days but just paying for the equivelant in learning drifting. Doesnt have to be in a learning car, could be mine. Any help would be appreciated

I know 100% people will say just get out and practice, but I have tried and tried to get just simple donuts right but i just cant do it! We have a large (ish) yard out the back of work and have been round there quite a few times in the wet/dry and tried it, but I just dont know how to keep it going. It wasnt the diff not locking properly or anything, as i handed the car over to a mate that can drift and he done it perfectly, going from little circles to huge circles and back down again. Wont bother trying the S13 with its open diff.

Any help would be appreciated guys, try not too laugh too much lol.

Rides
    Saw an offer on a website called groupon. It was offering a drift day for £35 should have been £100.
    Might be worth a look but I think you have to register

Rides
    Sweet, cheers mate I will have a look when I'm a bit more awake tomorrow afternoon Thanks again

Rides
    Have you had a look on Driftworks? Go to the next drift practice at Pod, there'll be lots of people there willing to both take you for a passenger ride or go out with you and give you advice.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiruji View Post
    Have you had a look on Driftworks? Go to the next drift practice at Pod, there'll be lots of people there willing to both take you for a passenger ride or go out with you and give you advice.
    Very good idea mate, was thinking about doing it with my mate i mentioned but finds it hard to give advice. No disrespect to him cos he does try, im just a plank lol. If i do hopefully people will be kind enough to do so thanks

Rides
    Hmm who is this 'mate'? lol. Best thing to do is just go to santa pod, even if you spend the whole day just learning to control a proper donut and/or a figure of 8 then it will be completly worth it as thats the first major step out of the way. At least thats the way I see it anyway.
    As soon as your S13 is back on the road and Ive got a manual box in mine we'll both do a day up there mate

Rides
    Lol i dont know mate, just some guy i found to be useful sometimes lol. Yea i see what you mean mate, I just think for my "special-ness" i would benefit from being taught, you know what im like lol. Yea id say when we are both up and running we could make a of it, even if i dont drift i would happily sit in with you and just examine what you do

Rides
    another one for dwyb at the pod, done my first day yesterday and learnt a ton!

Rides
    Just had this through email. Used some offers before. I think ill go to this aswell.

http://livingsocial.com/deals/27641-...63_4896email.:

Rides
    You s13 a manual?
    As said dwyb.
    Or blyton on Sunday
    It shouldn't take too long to practice controlled donuts, it's really just a feeling you'll learn.
    You'll learn when to 'catch' the steering wheel whilst the cars spinning. Doesn't help I know but don't give up!

Rides
    dude. your on the door step of santa pod!

just go up there, get chatting, get a feel for the car. Then if you are committed you wanna do it. weld the diff, go back enjoy even more fun

EDIT:

ill be up there on the 9th of March. always happy to help out dude :-)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrysAk View Post
    another one for dwyb at the pod, done my first day yesterday and learnt a ton!
    Think i will, i want to at least try and grasp donuts before i do though, going to go round the back of work with a few sets of rims

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymo_sx View Post
    You s13 a manual?
    As said dwyb.
    Or blyton on Sunday
    It shouldn't take too long to practice controlled donuts, it's really just a feeling you'll learn.
    You'll learn when to 'catch' the steering wheel whilst the cars spinning. Doesn't help I know but don't give up!
    Yes mate i am, with an open diff. Dont know how well i will be able to learn with it though
    In Bournemouth this weekend unfortunately
    Yea i see what you mean mate, i wont give up because ive wanted to do it since i was introduced to 200's by Daz_s13 on here and being in his car

Cheers

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by clive View Post
    dude. your on the door step of santa pod!

just go up there, get chatting, get a feel for the car. Then if you are committed you wanna do it. weld the diff, go back enjoy even more fun

EDIT:

ill be up there on the 9th of March. always happy to help out dude :-)
    Lol yea not too far away i guess
    Yea i think that seems the general response. But even with Daz_s13 in my car helping i was just spinning round too fast and getting all shakey/agitated and pissed off but very shakey, i had to concentrate driving home more than normal

Oh really, thats a Wednesday right? May see if i can get cover for work...if my car isnt fixed by then i may pop up in my nans yaris and have a look around, and like suggested earlier see if people would be willing to let me passenger

Cheers

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboS13 View Post
    Just had this through email. Used some offers before. I think ill go to this aswell.

http://livingsocial.com/deals/27641-...63_4896email.:
    Hmm..that does look quite good, see how it goes
    Cheers mate

Rides
    Hello mate,

Offical avenues would be drift-tutor.co.uk and driftracing.co.uk, either can supply a proven tutor at a cost for the day.

Failing that, there are enough tippers and helpers at dwyb to see you thru and get you going

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by GmasterT View Post
    Hello mate,

Offical avenues would be drift-tutor.co.uk and driftracing.co.uk, either can supply a proven tutor at a cost for the day.

Failing that, there are enough tippers and helpers at dwyb to see you thru and get you going
    driftracing you can use their own cars , they have locked diffs etc.

Rides
    My missus just bought me a driftracing day. I'd never heard of them before, but looking forward to it

Rides
    Got a TDW event coming up at Brawdy soon

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolf View Post
    driftracing you can use their own cars , they have locked diffs etc.
    Aye, Driftracing are also an approved SXOC trader so use them.

www.driftracing.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go