Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: pick n mix s13!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwest View Post
    This is insane, major respect for the work done 

And of course congrats on the little dude, might mean less time and money for the car but worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lol! Thanx it's no shrinking violet that's for sure

And yes less time and money for the car (didnt really have any anyway ) but more than worth it!
    Last edited by steff777; 10-04-2014 at 20:46.

Rides
    I know the feeling haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Oakey dokey part 1 of my refresh begins, I plan on repairing the bodywork (scratches, cracks etc) and going for a different colour but I decided that ever since I saw the "bad quality" 180sx I've got to take the rear quater windows out and replace it with a panel!!! So first things first is to remove the window...............well that's not as easy as it seams!  but after much twating about it came out

Only managed one side at the mo as my the wire that I used snapped so just going to have to wait till I get some more.

But here's what I'm aiming for, the "bad quality 180sx"

But with more of this style with the vent.

I've got some aluminium sheet from a local place so just got to cut a template out and clean up the window frame and then I can mock up how it will go...... Just got to find a way to mold in the vent somehow. I've got an idea on how I might be able to do it but if not then ill just pop into the fab shop I brought it from and see if they can help me.

Rides
    As well as that part 2 of my refresh is a boot spoiler, now I've already got a sort of spolier on my roof in the shape of that air diffuser but this one is for the actual boot at the top.

Now you can buy ready made spoilers off the shelf but there quite expensive for what they are and there not really the style I would like plus I don't like how you have to stick them on (had one on another car and it blew off!! Lol) so in true bodge'n fashion from myself I decided to make my own! 

Firstly I got hold of some more aluminium as it's cheap, strong and easy to cut and shape. I also wanted to be able to mount it a bit more stable than just sticking it down so I made it wrap around the frame of the window so I could pop rivit it from underneath. I'm really pleased on how it came out and it solid as a rock so all is good it's still in its raw aluminium state at the mo and I should be painting it satin black but I'll see how it looks once its in daylight and I've got the car all finished but here's some pics anyway.

Ps ignore all the shit that's around and under it as it's just there for support while I finished it. 

That's it for now until I can get a bit of time spare,got a couple more ideas but they can wait till another time.

Rides
    Just a quick one, been looking at some new paint for my s13 as I'm going to have a blast at a proper spray job, mates lending me his gum and compressor so I couldn't say know.

Had a few colours in mind but was drawn to purple every time so after much searching I've gone and got me this

All for the some of £37.70 for 2 litres delivered to my door, just got to add thinners on a 1-1 ratio so that's 4 litres to play with!! Happy times!

Rides
    Here's another angle of it,

Rides
    That's going to be loud!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    That's going to be loud!
    😆😆 that's the plan! 👍 no point in going half arsed........😜😜

Rides
    Do you have access to a spray booth, or a clean garage at least? Dust will be your biggest enemy in getting a good finish.

Also, remove any silicone based products from the area well in advance, such as Son of a Gun etc, as the silicone in the air will literally dissolve the paint as you are spraying.

Rides
    Do you have access to a spray booth, or a clean garage at least? Dust will be your biggest enemy in getting a good finish.

Also, remove any silicone based products from the area well in advance, such as Son of a Gun etc, as the silicone in the air will literally dissolve the paint as you are spraying.
    Yeah gona do it in doors, or build a temp spray booth as my garage is to small, got plenty of space where it is.

And thanx for the heads up about the silicone, never new that! I'm not after a perfect finish just as long as it's half decent, I want to put quite a few layers of laquer on it so I can g3 compound it to get a nice shine...........either way I'm sure it will be better than a rattle can spray job!!

Rides
    Defo man. The better quality paint will make a huge difference for starters. Its all about the prep work really mate. Good prep will save you tons of time later. Also, a wet floor will help keep the dust down too.

Rides
    Defo man. The better quality paint will make a huge difference for starters. Its all about the prep work really mate. Good prep will save you tons of time later. Also, a wet floor will help keep the dust down too.
    Prep is king! 👍👍 just takes time lol and I know about the wet floor thing.........sometimes the simple things are best👍 thanx again bud. 😃

Rides
    Just read through this whole thread. Like a lot of people, there are things on this I don't like, but really can't fault you for anything. Keep it up

Rides
    Glad to see you back on with this again Steff!

Can't wait to see it in full colour, it'll be cracking

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by rd_jon View Post
    Just read through this whole thread. Like a lot of people, there are things on this I don't like, but really can't fault you for anything. Keep it up
    Cheers m8! 👍 don't really expect everyone to like everything I've done, after all I've built the car to how I like it😆......... There bits I'm not to keen on but that's just down to lack of money more than anything! Lol main things the wheels but just need someone to buy them as I've got something special and different in mind. 👍

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by steve109 View Post
    Glad to see you back on with this again Steff!

Can't wait to see it in full colour, it'll be cracking
    Yeah it's been a while but had more important things on my mind👍

And it's going to be quite bright and obnoxious I think......... Which is pretty much what I'm after! 😆😆😆 I really love the new colour😍

Rides
    Well had a couple of hours this morning so I set about starting my rear quarter window cover. After cleaning up the window frame I started by cutting out my panel from the template that I made

Once that was done,I started by drilling some mounting holes and placing screws in as I go along and moulding the aluminium after each one (will use pop rivits for final mounting)

There's still a bit of trimming to do to the panel now it's mounted on the car, and I've got a few dints in it from the window frame but these can be sorted ot easy seeing as it's aluminium and I can avoid them on the other side now I have an idea on what to do. 

Ps the panel isn't warped, Its just a strange reflection! It's actually perfect smooth. lol

Just got to try and get the vent/lourve into the panel somehow,got a little idea on how to do it but not sure if it'll work..........time will tell

That's it for now, just don't have the time to work on it as much as I would like now my boy is here! 

Rides
    Right small update, been finding it really hard to get any time on this what with the little one and my lovely wife on the warpath again ( she's not a fan of my Sx!! lol ) but I did find time to finish off the rear window cover, nothing to major just finally got it trimmed and sitting right and got the couple of dints and scratches out and slapped a bit of primer on it, I'm really liking how it looks now

Should look good once it all one colour again, going to put some "dimple dies" in to them, going to borrow some hopefully off a mate.

Here's what I mean;

Rides
    Well I've gone and done something pretty goddam cool or pretty goddam stupid!! ...............I've just sold my daily and ill shall be getting this back on the road................ And dailyinh this!!!!!! since my little boy been born we've just seam to using her car to get around in and all I was doing with mine is going to work and back(13 mile round trip) so it makes sense to just use this. Plus then it's not just sitting in a garage and I can finally enjoy it and get to some shows! so watch this space, operation get its ass on the road ASAP! I must be mad! Hahaha!

Rides
    Just read the whole thing mate. Car looks great! loving the mods and the bodywork is amazing! not many people that have the skill to just chop shit up and make it look authentic lol looking forward to more posts!!