Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738

Thread: Zak's circuit racing 500+bhp drag road car ?!?!

Rides
    Lol have done the first 17 pages.

Rides
    This car looks awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    can't wait to see it back up to the pod.

Rides
    28th march nath! Can't wait to get in that passenger seat

Rides
    OK well all the pictures are now re-linked and should work (save for 1 video).
    Bit of a mammoth job and one that i don't want to have to do again any time soon.

Was actually kind of nost***ic reliving the entire story. Almost didn't want to click the next post sometimes as I knew something bad was about to happen lol.

I will update the thread this evening with some pics and proper explanations of what has gone on in the last couple of weeks.

I'm currently resisting the urge to take loads of bits off the car to get redone in case i f**k it up. Have planned to go to Santa Pod on the 28th March as ryry92 said so I'm sure I can wait until to start doing more bits to it (assuming it comes back as a functioning car).

Rides
    So a bit more detailed report of how things went at mapping.

Got the car all loaded up on the trailer the night before (thanks to Stu Waite for the trailer loan and to Chris for towing it as usual).

Early start on the Friday so breakfast was called for.

Got to Horsham Developments at around 9 and got the car pushed off the trailer (didn't want to fire it up as it was a struggle to get it started when hot (explanation to follow).

And pushed it into the workshop for the preliminary checks which is where the fun began.

So first check was for boost leaks.
    There was a big old leak coming from the N/S piping that runs into the bonnet. Many tries to squeeze up the clamp were unsuccessful so my very expensive Mikalor clamp was replaced with a good old fashioned jubilee clip and the leak was gone. Jez apparently doesn't rate the Mikalors which is a shame as i have replaced all my jubilees with them at considerable cost. Apparently they are great when they work but can pinch the hose sometimes causing leaks.
    One of my next tasks on the car is to redo the IC piping on that side of the car. The cold side has already been custom made but the hot side was a bit of a mish mash of piping i had so I will start it from scratch and fab up totally new pipework.
    Once that was done we found that i had forgotten to top up the oil so after a bit of online research in to my purchase history we found out what oil i used and topped it up (1.5 litres). The level wasn't below the minimum mark but don't want to be taking any chances on the dyno.

So it was now time to start her up which is when Jez found out that my throttle body position was having no influence whatsoever on the TPS position. Due to the awesome 90mm TB i fitted the lever arm on the TPS was not sitting onto the throttle body at all so the ECU had no idea of the throttle position (this is what was causing the hot start issue). This could have been end of play for the day but Jez decided that we could drill and tap a thread in the TB and insert a grub screw that would contact the TPS.
    This worked perfectly so were then able to get it into the rolling road.

All ready to go.

And an artsy rollers shot

After Jez had done his initial settings and got the idle down to around 1200rpm (a vast improvement over the 2500rpm that it was before) we went for the first run.

I wish i had the graph from this run as it was fairly comical. Basically nothing happened then the power and boost went vertical before Jez shut it off.
    A bit of head scratching as to what was going on resulted in 1 of 2 things. Either the WG was dead or the plumbing to it was wrong. I was 100% certain that i had got the plumbing correct so that meant the WG was shot. Seeing as this was end of play i figured that in an alternative universe it was possible that had got the plumbing wrong so i went under the car and swapped over the hosing to the top and side ports on the WG.
    Knowing that this wasn't going to work (I'm never wrong remember) we figured we might as well give it one more run.......................
    ............. it worked perfectly !!!!!!!!!!
    So now we were in business and Jez got to work.

Starting at 1 bar we immediately had around 430 @ the fly.

Long story short after many runs and much tweaking we decided 1.5 bar was a good stopping point.
    The first run at 1.5 bar was 494@fly and a tweak or 2 later and we hit the magic figure.

Graphs below.

A couple of vids of the runs (the second is the magic 501 run hence the cheers).

After me shrieking like a mad thing and much celebration we packed up and headed home very happy.

Even managed to give her a quick clean when we got back and took an opportunistic photo with ajmalins and ryry92's car on the drive.

I'm sure everyone gets fed up with my thank you's but need to say thanks to all the guys that came up and supported on the day (I was VERY VERY nervous)

Thanks to SAM (swmbo), PILS (ciderman), AJ (ajmalins), RY (ryry92) and Katy.

Sorry for the long post but it' really nice to be able to actually post a worthwhile update here.

Thanks

Nath
    Last edited by redlinezak; 27-01-2015 at 08:02.

Rides
    So Since the mapping has been done I have done of couple of little bits.

First we moved the battery to the other side of the boot (helps a little with weight distribution and also looks less cluttered).
    And yes i know the writing on the fuse holder is upside down lol.

I really need to get the boot sprayed properly as it looks terrible but eventually i hope to cut out the spare wheel well and put a flat floor in there.

Next i swapped the rear wheels over to my drag rims so that i could give the Racing Sparco's a good clean, polish and then treat with Gtechniq C5 wheel armour.

A picture of the water spots and general dirt on the wheels.

I'm lucky i have such an understanding fiancee as i have now taken over the front room with wheels and polishing bits.

The one on the left has had its first polish the one on the right is untouched.

Getting there

Whilst i had them off i couldn't resist this.

That's 19.5KG with a brand new Toyo R888 265/35 18 tyre on.
    According to toyo's website the tyre weighs 29lbs (just over 13KG) meaning my 10x18" wheel weighs 6.5KG.
    We checked my scales were accurate by weighing something with a known weight and they seemed OK to within .5KG.
    The only wheels i can see that are lighter than this are DYMAG's.
    Also during researching the wheels i found out that they were £1000 EACH when new lol.

Anyway i still have more polishing to do but that brings this up to date i think.

Cheers

Rides
    I have the first run on video n I think photo. I believe it was around 340-365bhp (shit guess can't remember exactly) I'll have a look

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboi200sx View Post
    This car looks awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks bud. Good to see another Soton S14 (the best ones)

Rides
    Here's some pictures i got from the last time at mapping, I will put all the pictures i have onto a cd for you.

Rides
    Cool cheers mate some nice pics there. Remembered your login then lol

Rides
    Finished Cleaning up the alloys with autosol and also added some stickers.

Had a choice of 3 colours.

But decided on the gold as i think it looks quite classy.

Also started cleaning up the rear exhaust heatsheild as i had to remove it when fitting my battery box.

Nothing groundbreaking but its all little things that needed doing.

Will be getting the car ready for santa pod in a couple of weeks then its fingers crossed time.

Rides
    #Winning !!!

Rides
    Hey everyone, I'm the SWMBO

I just wanted to personally thank everyone on the board for your advice and support over the years of this build - you guys are awesome

Can't wait to see her go up the strip again next month, no doubt I'll be shouting my hear off... again

Rides
    No probs! glad to see the 200 going up the pod again.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Any more updates on this? What tyres are you using for the drag strip?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    I believe he is running toyos

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk