Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you drive the spec R's in the snow?

Rides
    Surely this is all going on the fact your tyres arnt gettin any traction? if so it would depend on your tyre choice?? im probly wrong

Rides
    and width...

Rides
    Tyres choice is obviously the biggest factors whilst driving in snow, but who fits skinny snow tyres when it snows once in a while?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin T
    I've never driven an S15, let alone in the snow, but in theory it should be like driving a car with an open diff in the snow
    The Hummer H1 uses torsen diffs but it applies the brakes on the wheel thats spinning to get the torque to the other one.
    Which means, surely, it's a matter of lightly applying the handbrake when trying to pull away?

Rides
    So has anyone had the balls to try it then?

[arse mode](I did point out I'd read the theory on howstuffworks, I can drive a RWD car in the snow reasonably well with an LSD, and I'm perfectly aware that tyres make you grip the road )[/arse mode]

Rides
    As I understood it: (I may be wrong )

Quaife diffs are ATB diffs (auto torque biasing) not Torsen Torque Sensing...

They work with mechanical worm gears IIRC... Torsen ones uses a viscous coupling. I have a Torsen diff here at work hiding inside a Rover 820 Vitesse Sport gearbox.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawJohn
    As I understood it: (I may be wrong )

Quaife diffs are ATB diffs (auto torque biasing) not Torsen Torque Sensing...

They work with mechanical worm gears IIRC... Torsen ones uses a viscous coupling. I have a Torsen diff here at work hiding inside a Rover 820 Vitesse Sport gearbox.
    Torsen LSD's use a worm gear system, ATB LSD's use a helical gear system. They are both similar. A viscous coupling is just a viscous coupling LSD.

Rides
    Viscous diffs seem pretty crap though!!

There far to unpredictable!!

Whats a Kaaz 1 way like??

Rides
    It's a helical arrangement inside the S15 diff, I'm pretty sure. Guess it's possibly not strictly a Torsen™ based unit then

Rides
    The S15 LSD is helical

Wack this page through a translator...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SX Sam
    Viscous diffs seem pretty crap though!!

There far to unpredictable!!

Whats a Kaaz 1 way like??
    Crap for what? Drifting yeah, for everyday driving its fine, what do you mean by unpredictable, maybe its your tyres that is suddenly breaking traction.

Kaaz 1 way will still be drifty! The 1 way means it gets max lock during acceleration and open diff during deceleration, 1.5 way means it gets max lock during accel and part lock under decel. 2 way as you've probably guessed gets max lock during both accel and decel.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicely
    The S15 LSD is helical

Wack this page through a translator...
    S15 is helical therefore like the Quaife ATB. Great for track and everyday driving but shit for drifting as it never actual locks up both wheels

Getting an uprated diff all depends on what you want to do with it. For drifting and maybe drag then you need a clutch type one, Kaaz, Nismo, Cusco, however these will make clunky noises whilst driving / turning at slow speeds. For anything other than drifting ATB, Torsen are best and they are quite in operation too. Viscous diffs are the most basic LSD diffs, however the fluid can breakdown / leak and you end up with an open diff.
    Last edited by BARKY; 07-03-2006 at 15:12.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BARKY
    Crap for what? Drifting yeah, for everyday driving its fine, what do you mean by unpredictable, maybe its your tyres that is suddenly breaking traction.

Kaaz 1 way will still be drifty! The 1 way means it gets max lock during acceleration and open diff during deceleration, 1.5 way means it gets max lock during accel and part lock under decel. 2 way as you've probably guessed gets max lock during both accel and decel.
    Ive got Eagle F1's which seam quite good!!

Just the diff doesn't seem to good on track which is really what I want a 1 way for!!

Rides
    S15 is helical therefore like the Quaife ATB. Great for track and everyday driving but shit for drifting as it never actual locks up both wheels
    So, quite good for 99% of the population then? And great for the track...

Rides
    Define driving in snow?? Its been snowing here for a week now and ive found it fine, im running falcon 452 rubber.
    If i feel its not getting enough traction when i pull away, i do what i do in every car and pull away in second!
    Havnt been drifting for a while, but i have had no problems with my stock diff, but ive never tried with anything else, the major problem was with the ridiculous roll with the stock suspension and no front of rear strut.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SX Sam
    Ive got Eagle F1's which seam quite good!!

Just the diff doesn't seem to good on track which is really what I want a 1 way for!!
    If your finding it snappy on track, may not be down to diff, check your suspension, bushes, anti-roll bars and geometry. On track these greatly affect the handling as your asking the car and pushing it to do more. TBH if you've got your mind set on getting a 1 way, you may as well get a 1.5 way and learn to drive the car with the new diff set up. Whether your running Torsen, ATB, Clutch type LSD, they are all great for track, but each has its own characteristic which you need to adapt to. However only the clutch type (Kaaz, Cusco, Nismo) is best suited for drifting, but for everyday use it can get annoying and embarrasing due to the clunking, skipping and tyre squeeling at slow speeds, ask Holset1, every fecker at work thinks my diff is fecked .

Quote Originally Posted by Nicely
    So, quite good for 99% of the population then? And great for the track...
    You've got it, there is only 1% of us out there that can drive and live with a drift diff!

Rides
    Too much sidewards motion addles the brain you know...

Rides
    However only the clutch type (Kaaz, Cusco, Nismo) is best suited for drifting, but for everyday use it can get annoying and embarrasing due to the clunking, skipping and tyre squeeling at slow speeds, ask Holset1, every fecker at work thinks my diff is fecked .
    Hi mate Ive changed the username but its still me. Your right about people thinking your diffs knackered, but to be honest with all the nasty noises your car makes at the minute I think they just think the whole car is fecked.

Anyway what you doing on the internet, trying to beat your last monthly hit count or just avoiding Volvo?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Meddy
    Hi mate Ive changed the username but its still me. Your right about people thinking your diffs knackered, but to be honest with all the nasty noises your car makes at the minute I think they just think the whole car is fecked.

Anyway what you doing on the internet, trying to beat your last monthly hit count or just avoiding Volvo?
    LOL..... the car is well and truely used, abused and yeah it sounds fecked and noisey, but it still fast as feck....... sideways ! I'm trying to do both mate, Clay boy only got back in today, something to do with being delayed. What you doing taking time off, you need more OT!

Rides
    LOL..... the car is well and truely used, abused and yeah it sounds fecked and noisey, but it still fast as feck....... sideways ! I'm trying to do both mate, Clay boy only got back in today, something to do with being delayed. What you doing taking time off, you need more OT!
    Me I know I need OT but needed to have some time to sort the house out ready for the move. Only a few weeks to go now. Just think if your missus has her way youve got it all to come.