PDA

View Full Version : Audi A3 Brake Light problem

Aitch
07-08-2009, 18:31
I'm hoping this is another common problem and as easily sorted as the last one...

TCMA has an Audi A3. I think we may have established that already, but just in case we hadn't I thought I would make it clear. She was flagged down on Saturday evening by another motorist and told that none of her brake lights were working. I checked the bulbs on Sunday and they are fine and the fuses have been checked and appear to all be in tact. What else is there to check, and where are these things to check? :confused:

Kyle @ H-Dev
07-08-2009, 18:41
Ive noticed common fault on most VAG's are brake light switches. Would be my first guess :thumbs:

Aitch
07-08-2009, 18:45
Ive noticed common fault on most VAG's are brake light switches. Would be my first guess :thumbs:

Thanks for the quick response - lightning fast :D

Where do I find the brake light switch? :)

Pete C
07-08-2009, 18:54
Where do I find the brake light switch? :)

Somewhere near the top of the brake pedal is the usual place ;)

Aj82
07-08-2009, 19:22
Its located just above the brake pedal mate, if i mind right it has 3wires to it but maybe 4.
Disconnect it and check for loose wiring, if it appears ok then twist the sensor and it will pop out its location. The rod should pop fully out, push it back in slightly and then twist it back into its location at the same time as pushing the brake pedal down. Re-connect it and have someone at the back of the car to check the brake lights as you twist it back and forth until the lights start to work.

Cheers Aj

Kyle @ H-Dev
07-08-2009, 19:37
Somewhere at the top of the pedal usually. We seem to change alot of them on vw and audi's at work.

alanjuggler
07-08-2009, 19:51
:nod: brake light switch - if you open it up, the inside will be either very worn (plastic lobes, gj VAG) or have electrical arc scorching on it.

just replace the entire thing :nod:

Chris
07-08-2009, 20:08
Its located just above the brake pedal mate, if i mind right it has 3wires to it but maybe 4.
4 :nod: The switches are shit and cheap

dammit
07-08-2009, 20:36
Aye, brake light switch. Pop down to see me at Audi and crewe sometime and we'll sort ya out.
Or give us a reg and I'll do it for ya, probably a bit cheaper aswell staff discount n all

scimmy ben
07-08-2009, 20:40
Have replaced one on the wife's Ibiza - you may also be getting an ECU error on the dash ( 2 wires for lights, 2 for ECU)

Kyle @ H-Dev
07-08-2009, 22:12
Have replaced one on the wife's Ibiza - you may also be getting an ECU error on the dash ( 2 wires for lights, 2 for ECU)

Lol, yeah thats another qwirk, faulty brake light switches can cause all sorts of un-related codes :nod:

Aitch
08-08-2009, 06:44
Is this a part I can get from a motor factors or is it an Audi/VAG only part?

Kyle @ H-Dev
08-08-2009, 08:43
Think it's dealer only, we always get them oem. They often have modified replacements as they are a common issue.

Aitch
08-08-2009, 09:23
Cheers all - Dammit, let me know when you might be about and a rough idea of cost and I will get across to Crewe :thumbs:

flange
08-08-2009, 09:43
yes as said its defo the brake switch, my mate had this on his a3, he however didnt buy a new brake switch, he took it apart and cleaned it up, still works after a year

scimmy ben
08-08-2009, 13:50
Is this a part I can get from a motor factors or is it an Audi/VAG only part?

German Swedish and French or whatever they are called these days...

dammit
09-08-2009, 12:09
Cheers all - Dammit, let me know when you might be about and a rough idea of cost and I will get across to Crewe :thumbs:

Cool, I'll get a price on monday.

Aitch
25-08-2009, 19:23
Big up here to dammit, who came across to Aitch Towers tonight armed with a bunch of tools and a brake light switch and fitted it too :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

I have said it before, and I will say it again, this club is the best in the world.

:sxoc:

dammit
26-08-2009, 18:37
Big up here to dammit, who came across to Aitch Towers tonight armed with a bunch of tools and a brake light switch and fitted it too :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

I have said it before, and I will say it again, this club is the best in the world.

:sxoc:

Aww shucks your making me blush, haha.
Small jobs like that I dont mind doing, its the crappy rusty mechanical things that seize which are a cock.

Anytime though mate:thumbs: